HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
Discussion
High speed plane with good low speed handling.

I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction. I am looking for a fast plane that I can grow into and I was wondering if there are any planes out there that will give me a good top end near 100 mph but allow me to slowly work up to those speeds. I had some buddy box time on an Electrifly Rifle and that thing just wouldn't handle at anything less than full throttle but at full speed it was still a bit much for my evolving reflexes. If there is nothing out there that meets those needs then I would appreciate if someone could recommend a good intermediate plane. I have lots of time in on park flyer warbirds but I am ready to move up and the warbirds are just too slow. I already have my AMA and there are sanctioned fields nearby to fly in.
Sr.Sancho is offline Find More Posts by Sr.Sancho
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,321 Posts
I think the miniHawk, aka Reverb, Wasp etc. will serve you very well. Got it's own thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237433

See the video in post #392 and you'll get an idea of the potential and the benign behaviour at slow speed upon landing as well.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,822 Posts
I have a Miro Urban VooDoo Pylon (same size as Rifle if that is what you like) that is very light,and i have had three power systems in it,seeing that it was my first real speed plane after the Rifle.With all three power setups,it will go slow,while still being about to do things such as point rolls...or it will fly,and turn wicked fast when you want it to....it is just an amazing little bird to fly with a wide flight envelope...If you want something a bit larger (but makes it seam like you are flying much slower) you should take a look at the Sunracer V3.I had the chance to fly a buddies,and it is a pussy cat in the air.This is a great time to be into HP Planes,lots of amazing airframes,and power systems to choose from....But what ever you by,do not build it heavy.And as mentioned above,the Reverb (or whatever you call it) seems to be all the rave,if you can get it shipped to you from HK without broke wingtips.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:29 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Parkzone Stryker Q with a 4 dollar prop change would fit the bill perfectly.
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
959 Posts
Another vote for the voodoo. Not to expensive can be flown really fast or drop the ailerons down a few mm and its like a glider. In my opinion it's one of the best overall high speed models out there. It has a very wide performance envelope and the fit and finish on them is exceptional.
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:40 AM
member of 400km/h club
Joined Nov 2008
480 Posts
you can use every good speedplane.
look here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=53
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:18 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
LOL! Someone will be recommending a turbine next!

I suggest we read his original post again......
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:25 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Sancho View Post
I have lots of time in on park flyer warbirds but I am ready to move up and the warbirds are just too slow. .
Hi, I have a GP corsair combat, does 110mph, and a pretty light spitfire align 400 doing +100mph, they both fly slow, and both running on 4s lipos... sp you dont have to buy speedplanes to get your desired speed

The of course, a warbird is nothing likewise as a pylon or hotliner in the way they cut air, but thats another mattter

Otherwise, why not just a light funjet on 3s lipo, flyes slow and goes +100mph easy.. cheep as few and after you get used to that speed, pop in 4s and do 130mph, and after that buy a full composite racer.. ,, and the good stuff is if you buy the "right" setup for the funjet, you can later use that in your next fast plane...
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
you can get full speed
rc jetplan form http://www.nitrotek.se/
adam402 is offline Find More Posts by adam402
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:55 AM
E.S.
Bavaria
Joined Dec 2008
30 Posts
Are you a selfmade-man?
The Zwoadrittl is a wood-styro-homebuild-speeder, very easy to fly.
Very slowly up to 300 km/h, in hd-construktion testet to 370 km/h.
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...Funjet-Antrieb
Eisvogel is offline Find More Posts by Eisvogel
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:59 AM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
863 Posts
Every high performance plane will do the job as long as you keep weight low!!

A standard F5d Plane at 500-600g can be used for beginners-practice and is with the right prop still able to perform 200km/h+.

So try to avoid these triplecarbon versions with lipo overloaded fuses.

An example:

F5D Flipper in the darkness (2 min 19 sec)

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Last edited by Mreyello; Aug 18, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:10 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
Don't really have the equipment to scratch build or I would. I can build from a kit without a problem though. To give more info on my overall goals I am a speed freak and in the end I want to be able to handle the fastest RC planes out there so that is what I am working for. Will likely never go back to anything non electric through.
Sr.Sancho is offline Find More Posts by Sr.Sancho
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:27 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Otherwise, why not just a light funjet on 3s lipo, flyes slow and goes +100mph easy.. cheep as few and after you get used to that speed, pop in 4s and do 130mph, and after that buy a full composite racer.. ,, and the good stuff is if you buy the "right" setup for the funjet, you can later use that in your next fast plane...
IMHO, that´s the best advise to get used to speed planes.

Nothing (in the speed world) can fly as slow as a light funjet, with a little wind it will stop in the air, but it can be fast too with the right setup. And when you´re tired of the funjet, take its power train, put it into a pylon plane and it will be way faster than the funjet, only because of the airframe change

It´s just imposible to go wrong with this sequence, fast, faster, fastest, and there´s no reason to worry about composites until you´re into the "fastest" stage Cheaper, easier and safer, composites will force you to do some work even for a "not so good" landing, so save your time and start with a Funjet until you want one of the fastest setups out there

And even a light funjet is fun, but if you want something very fast right now, even a chinese setup into a funjet will do 200km/h (125mph) easily, just keep in mind a Funjet need 5,5 in props min, and 6´ is better.
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:42 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,100 Posts
I know this is not fast, not even for some sport planes, but if you´re looking for a plane with good slow speed behaviour, try to fly like this any other "fast" plane

I´m not sure if there are any other plane out there that can be fast but also land on a beach towel

RC Funjet 31may08 (5 min 39 sec)
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:50 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
you wanna do a joke ??

sorry you said :

"a good top end near 100 mph"

"at full speed it was still a bit much for my evolving reflexes"

with every kind of good sportsplane and a REAL Power Setup you get 100 mph for that you dont need a speed plane.
and when it is as you say a bit much for your evolving reflexes, than is everything who goes REAL FAST - to fast for you , and a risk for the ppl around you.
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.