SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:17 PM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
Discussion
what filler to use on abrams tank

hi all

going to be modifying the hull, deck and turret on the 1/12 abrams, get rid of all the stuff thats not on the real thing, i will be using plasti-card but i dont know what filler to use

will car/auto body filler work ?

regards nick
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:37 PM
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
80 Posts
Yes it will. I suggest you use glazing putty though and not a Bondo type material. Glazing putty sands easy and it will only take a few layers to fill in some holes. Sold in tubes where you get your autobody filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick30head View Post
hi all

going to be modifying the hull, deck and turret on the 1/12 abrams, get rid of all the stuff thats not on the real thing, i will be using plasti-card but i dont know what filler to use

will car/auto body filler work ?

regards nick
FreakyDude is offline Find More Posts by FreakyDude
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
Wilson
Peterborough Ontario Canada
Joined Feb 2008
221 Posts
Hey Nick

Auto body filler will work but be cautious, when the filler cures it heats up and will warp and melt the plastic. Your best bet is to use plastic filler for plastic models like squadron filler.
Auto filler is good if you want the look of damage

John
R/CJohn is offline Find More Posts by R/CJohn
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:33 PM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
thanks for replys guys, i ended up using body filler, i used a bit less hardner so it cured over a few days, i was lucky as there was no melting or warping however the sanding did make a few marks so it will add to the effect, just got to install the bulldog/pershing gear boxes now to go along with the tiger sprockets and tracks

nick
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head