SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Question
SK Ornithopter

Has anyone out there purchase an Ornithopter from SK Ornithopter recently ? I ordered one on line on 7-9-12 and have yet to receive it. I talked with Sean and he promised that it would be placed in the mail on Monday August 6th. I understand about his moving of his company from Cody to Powell Wyoming. But no one answers the phones, e-mails and the voice box is full. I would appreciate it if any one could information if the business is still in service or not.

Thank You
WH724765 is offline Find More Posts by WH724765
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
I just ordered my park hawk the beginning of August. Communication has been okay but I have not received confirmation of shipment. I am really hoping it ships soon. I have been looking at getting one of Seans birds for years. I am going to hold out hope until the end of the month before I file my dispute with paypal.
Hanzuki is offline Find More Posts by Hanzuki
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
rungun
United States
Joined Nov 2007
5 Posts
SK Ornithopter

Folks

I am sorry to burst your bubble - but SK is very unreliable as far as delivery goes. It is like buying a lottery ticket - sometime you win (product is delivers) and more often you do not win....

rungun
rungun is offline Find More Posts by rungun
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:18 PM
Boston, MA
Joined May 2003
165 Posts
Some people have been lucky enough to get theirs in a timely manner. But the majority of people suckered into buying something from him end up waiting an indefinite amount of time wondering what happened. Others have waited years to get anything. Others are still waiting.

It is a waiting game with Sean. He likes to take people's money and uses it to do something else instead of using it towards building the buyer's product.

Your best bet at getting any response from him is to open a dispute with Paypal if you were lucky enough to use that. Threaten to withdraw, or actually withdraw, your money. That has had some success in motivating him to get off his ass and build.
Snuffleupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffleupagus
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
Bert'sEyeViews of NYC
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Some people have been lucky enough to get theirs in a timely manner. But the majority of people suckered into buying something from him end up waiting an indefinite amount of time wondering what happened. Others have waited years to get anything. Others are still waiting.

It is a waiting game with Sean. He likes to take people's money and uses it to do something else instead of using it towards building the buyer's product.

Your best bet at getting any response from him is to open a dispute with Paypal if you were lucky enough to use that. Threaten to withdraw, or actually withdraw, your money. That has had some success in motivating him to get off his ass and build.
That is pretty sad. I am trying to buy from US based manufacturers but not delivering or communicating is not good, imagine you need a small $2 spare part?

I just spent all day researching and really want to get into ornithopters. What else is out there? Preferable would like one that can carry a payload, looking to mount a small camera with live video feed (FPV) as I do on my Quad copters, http://www.youtube.com/nycebert

Any tips would be appreciated.
nycewheels is offline Find More Posts by nycewheels
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:36 AM
Northwestern Illinois
Joined Jan 2003
189 Posts
nycewheels
Ornithopters are not a very stable lifting vehicle and do not share the lifting capabilities of a helicopter or quad. As for use as a video platform I don't believe the video stabilization offered today could off set the movement of the machine. I viewed a video made from an orni, here or on youtube, and it was not so good.
Just my opinion.
n553302 is offline Find More Posts by n553302
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:27 PM
Boston, MA
Joined May 2003
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycewheels View Post
That is pretty sad. I am trying to buy from US based manufacturers but not delivering or communicating is not good, imagine you need a small $2 spare part?

I just spent all day researching and really want to get into ornithopters. What else is out there? Preferable would like one that can carry a payload, looking to mount a small camera with live video feed (FPV) as I do on my Quad copters, http://www.youtube.com/nycebert

Any tips would be appreciated.
The only ones I am aware of currently in the market that might carry a payload like maybe a micro or a sub-micro fpv system are the Protoseni's Bird, maybe the Magicbird but I do not know much about it, and unfortunately, a Kinkade slowhawk. I'm sure you've already come across these in your research.

The only other option I can think of is to build one yourself. The Kestrel plans are available.

If for whatever reason you decide to purchase a Kinkade slowhawk, DO NOT buy it directly from Kinkade. Buy it from his distributor in France, Robert Korobelnik (RCGroup Member: KOROBELNIK). Robert sells Kinkade's slowhawk for 350 Euros (~ $440). Contact him for shipping back to the US. You can check Robert's website and confirm stock availability with him before ordering.

Kinkade must like Robert a lot. While I waited years wondering when or if mine will arrive with no word from Kinkade, Robert was getting stock in on a regular basis. I know where the money I sent Kinkade went and it didn't go to producing my items.

For price comparison, you can get a Protoseni's Bird for 530 SGD (~ $425) with shipping of ~ $40. It appears to be a nicely built, carbon fiber bird. AND you know when you will get. This is the choice I would put my money on.
Snuffleupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffleupagus
Last edited by Snuffleupagus; Sep 02, 2012 at 05:41 PM.