HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
Discussion
Brown out, Hold, Loose wire or Something Else?

System is a Multiplex funcub, Hacker A30-16M V2 motor, Hacker X40 SB esc, Spektrum AR600 Rx, Spektrum DX6xi Tx, Hitec servos.

Last night towards the end of the first flight I experienced a momentary loss of alieron control. It recovered and I was able to land fine.

On the second flight at about 5 minutes I experienced the same thing only it didn't recover. I had no power and no control over the plane.

When it came down I checked the battery and it had 11.65 volts, the esc and motor were hot but not burning. I installed the battery again and the esc didn't beep, I touched one of the wires and then it beeped. I unplugged and plugged the battery in again and it beeped and came back up fine. Not sure if this was a glitch or a loose wire. I looked at the wires and didn't see anything.

This also occured this past weekend. It was at the end of the flight so I shrugged it off as the battery was bad. Now I realize that it's not the battery but some other glitch in the system.

I didn't have the Spektrum flight log so I don't know if there were holds or not.

I did just purchase a Hitec eclipse 7 pro (with two optima 7 rx's) and have the telemetry bundle coming in next week.

Are the symptoms of a radio hold and a brown out the same?

Anyone have any ideas where I should start to troubleshoot?
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
If you touched a wire, and it came alive, I would suspect a bad solder joint, broken wire, or a bad connector. It is not unusual for wires to break or a solder joint to come loose inside the heat shrink tubing. Try to replicate it on the bench. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,960 Posts
Yes, same thing happened to me on my Ares Gamma 370. I had just installed a Spektrum AR6115e RX into it and about 2 minutes after a ROG takeoff, she lost all control and went down. I put in another battery since there was minimal damage and the same thing happened. I finally figured out that the battery to ESC connection was faulty since the Ares uses Tamiya/Molex type connectors for them. I replaced the connectors and now everything is fine. Definately a loose connection somewhere.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
I'm tending to think that its a connection as well. Thanks for the input.
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:30 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
"the Ares uses Tamiya/Molex type connectors"

That right there is likely your problem. Gawd, I hate those connectors.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood