HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Question
New RC enthusiast in need of advice

Hi rcgroups,

Firstly an introduction, I'm very new to anything RC but have Flown an RC heli once or twice, I have however done a reasonable amount of electrical work, and taken a few courses in analogue and digital electronics. I saw the talk on quad copters at Ted.com and have since seen many videos on multi rotors and what they are capable of. I was really inspired and would now like to start flying them.
I started out thinking I should buy an ardrone or something along those lines but quickly started looking into building my own.

After some research I have come up with the fairly generic build:

-KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board
-Turnigy Talon Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame (I will probably end up building my own as there are a lot of designs on the net and I have access to the tools to do it)
-Turnigy 2217 20turn 860kv 22A Outrunner
-TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
-apc propellers 10x4.7
-ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 3S1P 20C 

My questions are:

-Is this build ok? Will everthing work together and is there an engine/esc etc that would do a better job or be more reliable for around the same price or less. (I only what to be able to life a gopro in the end so are the engines over kill?)

-As someone who hasn't had any experience flying a quad-copter is it reasonable to expect that I will be able to control this. (I am very willing to spend a lot of time learning and hovering the quad-copter a foot of the ground and slowly getting the hang of it, I realise flips are out of the question for the first few years of flying) Also is the KK board capable of stable flight and be reasonable to control as a noobie?

-Are there any important things I need to buy that any RC-diy builder would need to build a quad-copter, ie wire(what kind?), prop adpters etc

-And is there any advice that you would give to a first timer coming into the RC world.

Thanks for your time ( I know its quite long)

Regards,

Pyrrhic
xPyrrhic is offline Find More Posts by xPyrrhic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2010
122 Posts
Things you need:
patience
solder - I use what the LHS stocks.
soldering iron
blade balancer
battery charger
flight sim - what goes up must come down. The RC sim has saved countless money on crashes.
TioDave is offline Find More Posts by TioDave
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:53 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,256 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1690753

My beginner thread. Good stuff and not a ton of fluff,, just straight useful info.
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
Linux Compatible
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097355

Multirotor megalink will get you started.
machina is offline Find More Posts by machina
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,670 Posts
If you haven't already ordered get a battery with a higher C rating. A 4000ma 20C battery has a theortical discharge current of 80A and is cutting it a little too close with four 22amp motors. Will also keep your pack from running warm and puffing up.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
I'm nobody to recommend anything, but buy a WLToys v929 and give it a try before you spend all that money. That way if you end up not liking the hobby you're only out ~$50, at least half of which you can get back selling it to me

Plus it allows you to practice and learn on something that won't hurt you, is hard to break, and can carry a cheap keychain camera while you build your bigger quad.

Or buy an mqx (which the v929 is a clone of) if you want a spektrum radio (the v929 is 9x compatible so you can still fly with a real radio useful in your larger quad) and ability to buy parts at your local hobby store.

Most of all: prepare for the crippling addiction and money pit that is rc flight
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:04 AM
Joined May 2012
588 Posts
Ya i would get a larger c battery at least a 30c also i would run 30A esc's just to give you a bit of headroom other then that looks ok
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20