HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:51 AM
Mexico
Joined Nov 2005
425 Posts
Discussion
Newbie please, need some advice Co Pilot II or Co Pilot CPD4

Hello again...

Im new into "non-coaxial" helicopters and just bought two used old ones (but in very good shape by the way, basically unused and cheap!). I got Blade CP (the very first version now discontinued) and a Century Hummingbird Fixed Pitch (the one with the AirWolf fuselage and it comes with a 4 channel JR radio system whose transmitter comes with a switch to activate "training" mode which Im not sure if such can be of any help for any Co Pilot).

Now, I have read Co Pilot II Quick Start Guide and Co Pilot CPD4 User Guide.

I think I would be able to make Co Pilot II to fit into any of my helis. But Im unsure.

First I was about to decide for CPD4 but it probably wouldnt be enough for Blade CP because it is a collective pitch heli. Or.. can I just connect Elevator and Aileron disregarding Collective servo ? This is something I would like to clear.

Also, Blade CP comes with an integrated all in one unit (receiver, ESC, mixer etc, all in one single circuit) and I wonder if that makes it impossible to fit any Co Pilot unit?

At least my Hummingbird does come with receiver, mixer, ESC all by separate.

If I manage to learn two fly these two birds I would probably upgrade to a more serious heli but for now I prefer to spend my money on a Co Pilot that can help me to learn to fly helicpters as this is really challenging.

But, you guys you are experts, what wold you do in my place?

Would Co Pilot II would fit both of my helis? If so, what combo would you suggest?

Thanks for your words and time!
bambino is offline Find More Posts by bambino
Last edited by bambino; Aug 17, 2012 at 01:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambino View Post
Hello again...

Hi bambino,
Please see commemts below in bold.

Im new into "non-coaxial" helicopters and just bought two used old ones (but in very good shape by the way, basically unused and cheap!). I got Blade CP (the very first version now discontinued) and a Century Hummingbird Fixed Pitch (the one with the AirWolf fuselage and it comes with a 4 channel JR radio system whose transmitter comes with a switch to activate "training" mode which Im not sure if such can be of any help for any Co Pilot). CoPilot needs a 5 channel radio system to be able to remotely turn CoPilot ON and OFF. However, CoPilot can be installed without a remote switch but in that case it would stay ON all the time which I would not recommend.

Now, I have read Co Pilot II Quick Start Guide and Co Pilot CPD4 User Guide.

I think I would be able to make Co Pilot II to fit into any of my helis. But Im unsure.

First I was about to decide for CPD4 but it probably wouldnt be enough for Blade CP because it is a collective pitch heli. Or.. can I just connect Elevator and Aileron disregarding Collective servo ? You could not disregard the Collective servo. All three channels must be connected to the CoPilot on a CCPM helicopter. This is something I would like to clear.

Also, Blade CP comes with an integrated all in one unit (receiver, ESC, mixer etc, all in one single circuit) and I wonder if that makes it impossible to fit any Co Pilot unit? The servo connectors on the blade are not standard JR or Futaba three pin type and this is what CoPilot uses. So I don't think the Blade servo's would connect to CoPilot or CoPilot pigtail be able to connect to the 4 in 1 on the Blade.

At least my Hummingbird does come with receiver, mixer, ESC all by separate.

If I manage to learn two fly these two birds I would probably upgrade to a more serious heli but for now I prefer to spend my money on a Co Pilot that can help me to learn to fly helicpters as this is really challenging.

But, you guys you are experts, what wold you do in my place? IMHO neither of the two helicopters mentioned lend themselves to a CoPilot instillation. I would recommend you fly the two helicopter as is for now and when you move up to a 450 size or larger helicopter to then purchase a CoPilot II.

Would Co Pilot II would fit both of my helis? If so, what combo would you suggest? As you move up in helicopter size I would recommend combo #6 which includes the HD module.

Thanks for your words and time!
I hope this helps.

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
Mexico
Joined Nov 2005
425 Posts
Hello Jack

Thank you for your wise advice, I think you are all right and will save money for next heli...

I appreciate your time!
bambino is offline Find More Posts by bambino