HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:47 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Regarding dead stick landings, I know a father and son who fly off their own land. Amazing. They will intentionally kill the engine way high, and still land and roll out to their feet so they have to take only 1 or 2 steps. Amazing guys.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:03 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Agree 100%. Lipoly manufacturers happen to call the ability to hold voltage under load the 'C rating'. Some are honest about this, some are less than honest, and precisely why I personally depend on my own measurements and those of others rather than manufacturer ratings.
Then you have the quality control issues that have arisen with gens Ace and Sky lipo over the last month or so.

Seems the latest round of replenished batches had poor performing cells, still good IR and performance under load, but many issues with dead cells after a few cycles, etc.... much like another well know Asian sourced brand I won't mention.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:05 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Regarding dead stick landings, I know a father and son who fly off their own land. Amazing. They will intentionally kill the engine way high, and still land and roll out to their feet so they have to take only 1 or 2 steps. Amazing guys.
Of course, intentional dead stick, or power off landings are cool. I know a fellow called IDO in the 3D game, that dead sticks a large Krill bird in demos, rolls inverted and glides into the landing strip. Flips upright just seconds before touch down so close that the wings almost touch the ground during the roll.

Great to watch.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
I agree--impressive.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:30 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Any news on your 60C revo lipos?

Got my Gens 30C4s4000 today, balance charge and cycle twice and at 3.85V my IR readings off the iCharger 306B are 1,2,2,1 mOhm.

Thats measuring through my EP Buddy parallel adaptor board.

Sweet.

Edit that,
I cycled down to 3.7V per cell at 1C then back to 4.2V at 1C then back to 3.85 and IR now reads 1,1,1,1 across all 4 packs.

Very sweet.
Last edited by bigroger; Aug 24, 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:03 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
303 Posts
thanks fellas.
Keen to see what your output results are.
Off to SIME expo. see you next week
REVOJohn is online now Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
I got a surprise in the mail today...bill from UPS...$14.25 for customs duties and brokerage charge. Strange that I got the batteries already.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:35 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I got a surprise in the mail today...bill from UPS...$14.25 for customs duties and brokerage charge. Strange that I got the batteries already.
This shuold not be the case unless customs decided to tax you.
Can you send me an email and we'll chase it up here with UPS and see what they are on about. john@leoindustries.com
REVOJohn is online now Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:43 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,148 Posts
I just bought 10x Revolectrix 6S 2600 60C lipos today.

Firstly I had a really good customer service from John, and prompt response to emails. I tool a bit of a gamble with buying that many with limited feedback out there, but I usually do pretty well with sniffing out good quality gear. I'm planning on using these for 2 edf purposes.. on their own in 70mm edf with wemo / het 2w25 drawing about 60A peak. (should get a good 4 minutes fl time), and I went for the 60C diamonds as I have a habu 32 80mm edf with a 2kW 6S sytem from extreme rc (wemo/het) which should draw about 100A peak.. these in series should do the job nicely and not too bad weight wise (840g combined)

We'll see how they go.. I do have an icharger 3010B so cycle em and let you guys know what IR readings I get.. ps yes I still think the 1mOh resolution is perfectly applicable to compare lipos as we're comparing the order of magnitude rather than exact reading.

Hopefully they're as good as the best out there.. I would like to get more if so and run my PA planes on them.. especially the new KMX that should be arriving on my doorstep next week (yeeha!)

I also have a stack of blue turnigy 4s 30C 3300 lipos that after 100+ cycles are all showing 4 - 5 mOh.. from those prelim tests I would be expecting 1 or 2 max per cell too... maybe they'll get down to that after being run in more.. actually, was that 2200mAh being tested compared with gens ace?.. cant remember.. I guess the lower capacity accounts for the high IR compared to the 3600mAh turnigy pack that was mentioned before.
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
ps yes I still think the 1mOh resolution is perfectly applicable to compare lipos as we're comparing the order of magnitude rather than exact reading.
I do not agree with you, not in the context of different people using different chargers, and trying to compare a 2 mOhm reading on one charger for one battery to a 6 mOhm reading on another charger and a different battery.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:54 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,148 Posts
"I do not agree with you, not in the context of different people using different chargers, and trying to compare a 2 mOhm reading on one charger for one battery to a 6 mOhm reading on another charger and a different battery."

oh yeah tht's true, forgot about that comment about our different chargers not clibrated against each others. I guess just serves as a rough guide then. and to compare ourselves against other packs.. then enough feedback from enough people will make it all clear
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Yeah, I agree with that. Best feedback will be after 40-50 flights, no puffing, still plenty of power.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:59 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,148 Posts
..but surely no 2 "normal" ichargers, for example, would read 2mOhm and 6mOhm for identical packs.. they're calibrated way better than that.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,148 Posts
yes.. when I get mine I'll give em a good flogging in my jets.. that'll be a good test of their longevity
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
On one of my 4s 2200 mah batteries, two of the balance wires are already slipping out of the connector housing. This is dangerous, and the very first time I've seen this out of all of my batteries from any vendor. I am using an AB clip from ep-buddy (like I do on all my batteries) for strain relief on the balance connector. I believe the problem is the flip up tabs on two of the wirest that lock them in place were not bent in the right direction, and became weak during insertion/extraction from balance cable.