Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:01 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Discussion
Revolectrix diamond label 60C batteries

(stock photo)

The GensAce 25C batteries I like are out of stock more often than not, and I hadn't yet heard of the Glacier batteries, so I took a gamble and picked up some Revolectrix Diamond Label 60C batteries. Some 4S 2200 mAh, and some 3S 2200 mAh. These are made (or distributed?) by the same company that makes the Cellpro PowerLab8 charger. They claim the packs are made fresh the same day as your shipment, and that seems to be the case.

Delivery is overseas via UPS to the U.S.--a requirement, possibly a legal requirement.

Diamond Label 60C batteries

Initial observations: The batteries do not come with main power connectors. I soldered on some HXT connectorsóthe same type of connector that comes pre-soldered with the Gens Ace batteries. I like these connectors because they have high current carrying capacity, have excellent hold power, yet the plastic connectors have enough purchase to pull them apart without the slip ring pliers I have to use on new EC5 connectors.

The wire used for balance connectors is not insulated with soft high temperature silicone insulation used for the main power leads. Whether this is better, worse, or of no practical difference I don't know. But the balance wires on the Revolectrix batteries are stiffer than my Gens Ace balance wires, possibly indicating the wire is solid conductor--which would be worse as far as durability goes in my opinion.

The label on the batteries is different than what is shown in the photos (see photo below). The labels on mine had a white background, and looked like they were custom printed on-demand, using slightly pixelated fonts. They printed my name on them as well. This would be a problem if I had been picking them up for my son. Fortunately, I did not, so I have no problem with my name on the label, but this might be an issue if you're ordering extras for a flying buddy.

Despite the series name, the labels weren't made from diamonds, which is disappointing if you're hoping to sell the labels.

When I opened the package, I thought, wow, these can't be 2200 mAh batteries--they look so small. But then I held it next to a Gens Ace, and they were the same size. The black shrink wrap just makes them look smaller.

The batteries were delivered storage charged at about 3.84 volts per cell.

I am putting the 4S 2200 mAh batteries through some 4.2->3.7 charge->discharge cycles on my iCharger 3010b and paraboard, and hope to fly them sometime this weekend. I understand my charger may be able to measure the internal cell resistance, so I will have to look up how to do that, and then compare results with my Gens Ace 25C batteries.

I am neither recommending nor discouraging anybody from buying these batteries. I'm just reporting what I received and my initial observations. I may seem a little more negative and tougher than other reviewers, but I give the reviews I wish others would write.

The true test of whether I like these batteries won't be until I get 100 flights on them, and they havenít puffed, and are still going strong.

Regarding packs being made same day as shipment: One oddity is their website is listing 3S 2200 mAh batteries as out of stock, but not the 4S 2200 mAh batteries. This could be because they are out of the 3S balance cables, but that doesn't make sense either because the 3S 3700 mAh are in stock, which also has the claim "packs made fresh same day as your shipment". So maybe the 4S 2200 mah batteries should also be listed as out of stock. Or the cells are pre-matched before the packs are made. In any event, you might want to contact them before placing your order if your order is time sensitive, esepcially since it is being shipped from overseas.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:53 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
The way to measure the IR from your iCharger is:

One pack at a time both discharge and balance connected, and at 3.85V storage.

Press and hold the far left button (STOP) until it beeps.

Then press once the second button from the left and you should see a message reading measuring IR.

Would be keen to see what data you get on these as I'm about to pull the trigger on some 4s and 6s packs from these guys and still looking for reviews.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:20 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
In stock and on sale are Gens Ace 3s 2200 60c for $23; and, if you get 3 or more the shipping is free.

4s 2200 60c in stock and on sale for $39.

Just an FYI.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Thanks bigroger.

sgomes, the GensAce 3S 2200 mah 60c looks like a fair price, in comparison to the 4S. Has anybody done testing on the 60C gens ace?

Quick update. Measuring one 4S 60C 2200 mah battery at a time, the Revolectrix 60C batteries gave 5-6 mOhms/cell.

For comparison, using the same connectors and charger, the Gens Ace 25C gave 12-13 mOhms/cell, though there was one cell that gave 6 mOhms.
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Aug 17, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:42 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
I see Revolectrix has finally joined the JST-XH balance connector bandwagon.

They used to use their own balance connector scheme that was different than EVERYBODY else. Hence why all cellpro chargers used to need adapter boards.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Thanks for the background creapyd...I wondered why they were offering two different balance connectors.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,663 Posts
FMA's original balancing wiring was necessary to make node only (balancing leads) charging simple. FMA Cell Pro 4 ,thier first charger was Node only charging. Latter their Cell Pro 10 supported node only charging as does the Power Lab 8 if you set it to FMA node.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
Don't ALL the balancing tap formats support node only charging? it's just they chose to use a different connector and wire order than everybody else. Or probably more precisely: they chose first and everybody else didn't follow.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,663 Posts
While it is possible to charge any LiPoly thru the balancing leads only it gets a bit complicated when one has 1,2.3,4,5,6S LiPolys.

First balancing connectors were either Poly Quest / Hyperion or Tanic with JST parkflyer type with a single connector for each cell.

Next was ThunderPower . If you want to read up on what early balancing was like.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=29

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:27 PM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,015 Posts
To the fella who started this post.....Were the batteries properly packed in a box when they were shipped to you? The reason I asked is that I ordered 2 of the Revolectrix batteries a few months ago and they were thrown in a plastic bag for shipment. Needless to say, one of the batteries was damaged in transit and both batteries were poorly shrink-wrapped, with the wrapping sliding up and down. I demanded my money back and dumped the batteries.

Too bad because I thought the "C" rating and price was right.

Oh well, I'll stick with Hyperions...they are securely wrapped and I've had them last for over 200 cycles without a problem.

Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Thanks bigroger.

sgomes, the GensAce 3S 2200 mah 60c looks like a fair price, in comparison to the 4S. Has anybody done testing on the 60C gens ace?

Quick update. Measuring one 4S 60C 2200 mah battery at a time, the Revolectrix 60C batteries gave 5-6 mOhms/cell.

For comparison, using the same connectors and charger, the Gens Ace 25C gave 12-13 mOhms/cell, though there was one cell that gave 6 mOhms.
I will be very keen to here your thoughts on flight differences with Gens ace packs (assuming you are putting some serious load on these packs).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948 View Post
To the fella who started this post.....Were the batteries properly packed in a box when they were shipped to you? The reason I asked is that I ordered 2 of the Revolectrix batteries a few months ago and they were thrown in a plastic bag for shipment. Needless to say, one of the batteries was damaged in transit and both batteries were poorly shrink-wrapped, with the wrapping sliding up and down. I demanded my money back and dumped the batteries.

Too bad because I thought the "C" rating and price was right.

Oh well, I'll stick with Hyperions...they are securely wrapped and I've had them last for over 200 cycles without a problem.

Mondo
Yeah, the batteries were wrapped in foam, then put in a box, then put in a UPS soft express pack. There was no damage. The shrink wrap seems good too. The label is not as pretty as the stock photo. But I don't really care, though I am disappointed the label wasn't made from diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
I will be very keen to here your thoughts on flight differences with Gens ace packs (assuming you are putting some serious load on these packs).
I have a plane that pulls 800 watts static with a fresh gens ace. I flew it tonight, but I didn't bring the new batteries...only the gens aces. I'll try to get some flights on them this weekend.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Sounds great.

Don't happen to have an eagle tree or castle logger you can plot to compare amps, watts and voltage sag in flight by chance?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Actually, my son has one of my CC ESCs in his Extra 330LX. Good idea.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:17 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
364 Posts
Hi there guys. John here, manager of REVOLECTRIX Singapore.
Not sure you all know but FMA and LEO Industries (my company) joined forces a few year ago to expand the range and coverage of products across the world. Since we started, al is going well and we have managed to get to 250+ global retail outlets and an online store too. In 202 our volumes have almost doubled to previous years and this in only the electronics portion.
My background is from Australia and I moved to Singapore in 1996 with the university. My thesis was EV LiPO batteries in 1996 and we co-developed high rate LiPO with JJ Hong in Korea (mind you it was only 6C back then hehehee).
Ever since LEO has been in the LiPO game for RC, Military, Electronics and EV (google LEO Energy or LEO Industries). LEO now has full electronics manufacturing facilities.
With FMA and LEO together we're able to bring the best of design and manufacturing in a strategic gobal location; Singapore. We see 2012 onwards as a year for growth.
On the battery side, my 15 of years as a LiPO battery designer has brought us to the RC LiPO game with a good technololgy developed on the back of some larger industrial projects. We don't manufacturer cells. (too messy). We just leverage off other factories in China that we know well and trust to bring to you all fair value for money batteries that perform without all the hype
2011&12 have been good to us on the charger side of things with great global growth. 2012 have seen our new range of batteries making good headway in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and my home country Austrlia. Possible because our price is competative to HKing and shipping costs are cheap to those countries. We plan before the end of 2012 to have the same facilities in USA for LiPO for the American market.

The was I see it is LiPO is an energy comodity. Prices have dropped dramatically over the years and number of factories increased but number of HKong brands have grown 100 fold. So I say to most customers of ours....I never say we're better than anyone else. Have a go. Play with our packs and if anything wrong its $ back. Repeat customers and guys I visit out in the field shows us that they like our technology.

Now marketing; We can go out and spend $100,000 a year on sponsored pilots; adds, webadds, mag adds etc etc etc to tell you all we're the best and increase the price of the packs and thus we'll be more expensive than HK.
So we're in the mindset that we'll keep prices low on the comodity and let true performence and customer feedback take its roll. Thus far we're happy with the growth of our LiPO and looking forward to the USA market later in the year.

As for our methods.
In the Singapore location we try to pack them on the day the order comes in (or as close as possible). Most times we have cell stock and can get them out the door in a day.....with private labels. (good feedback we'll only put the surname on the packs from now). Thus we don't trade packs from China. We select the cells, match em and pack em. Just that little bit more effort but its worth it. Thus we have been able to talk calls from RC players for custom packs and also deliver within a few days. We enjoy that interaction.
If you have any pack requests feel free to ask and we'll add them on our site.

Balance leads: Yah JST Singapore won't use Si Wire thus we only get the high temp PVC wires same as only our balance adaptors. Copy JST connectors in China don;t care what wire they put on but we can't use those here. All out connectors and plugs are authentic.

Stock; Yah sometimes 4S packs shows out of stock whilst 2S packs are in stock. Basically down to out system as we have to allocate stock on 2S - 6S based on the number of cells we have. We do try to update as frequently as possible.

The market: Must like Forest Gump said it.....life is like a box of chocolates, you don;t know what you going to get. Same with LiPO. With all the labels, brands, hype you don;t know till you try. Websites can tell you anthing but you'll only know whats good till you try.....but can you re-fund if you don;t like them. Probably not. At REVOLECTRIX you can. We stand by our products, image and customer service.

Hope this tread continues and any questions you make have on the technology, battery industry, LEO, REVOLECTRIX please feel free to ask.
REVOJohn is online now Find More Posts by REVOJohn
Site Sponsor