SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:45 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Discussion
never ran batteries in series before...quick question.

Do i want to plug both batteries into the series cable THEN plug into the ESC or is it okay to leave the series cable plugged in at all times then plug each battery into the series cable one at a time.
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:06 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Either is fine--at least I don't know of any issues, but you might want to look into the various ways people suppress sparks when connecting high S packs to ESCs. Leaving the series connector connected to the ESC and plugging the batteries into that may help reduce the ferocity of the spark--but I haven't tried it, and haven't thought enough about it.

Others may have different, experienced based opinions.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:13 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
i would prefer to leave the series connector plugged into the battery at all times b/c of the length of the ESCs cables.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:29 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Do i want to plug both batteries into the series cable THEN plug into the ESC or is it okay to leave the series cable plugged in at all times then plug each battery into the series cable one at a time.
There is no circuit until you connect both packs and the ESC so no current can flow.

Just make sure whatever method you use does not leave any live connectors exposed (shouldnt be an issue for a careful design).
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:31 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
i was just looking at the cable i made and realized that the circuit would not be complete. thanks guys, kinda feel like a dummy for not seeing that before posting haha
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Looks like you may need to do some soldering.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:57 PM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
yup just got done. picked up the necessary EC3s today.

my charger and all my other batteries are EC3, i try to keep them uniform so i dont have to mess with the charger...the charger does not have banana plugs like others.