HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Discussion
Start of Micro Fokker D.VII

OMG! I had to show you guys what Master Speedy01 (Gene) the "Tissue Cover King" sent me. It's a 14.5" WS Micro DV.II from the 1/48 scale ecardmodels.com site. It's Rudolf Start's of Jasta 35B.
Gene enlarged it to 1:20th +- scale.

This is truly a master piece. of 2mm Depron foam covered in tissue with CF rods in the LE's of the wings and ribs (strips of paper tape under the tissue covering).
You have to look at the pictures and enlarge them to see just how good this is and ecards, Kampfliegger group did a great job on this paper model -reprint ( Some modeler/s did the reprints of this paper model and there are other excellent reprints of various Kampfliegger paper model plane plans that this site has.)

Hail to Gene! I was going to take a needed model build break after I finish my Micro E-III but when this arrived I was excited. The D.VII with it's long nose should be a very easy WWI bird to obtain the CG on without too much pain.

I don't know if I can do this bird justice, the pictures are not going to show how well this bird goes together or how good it truly looks! Gene does all the hard work beveling edges, chalking edges, etc. The airfoil also looks great as he bakes the wings in his wing jig. He also printed all the other parts of this bird onto tissue to make the LG wheels and other parts.

I do have to finish my E-III first and get my daughter off to college but I intend to start this bird as soon as I can.

Thank you , Thank you Gene!

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
free flight or micro RC ???
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined May 2006
460 Posts
I agree, it looks great!

Makes me want to build one too...

George
g_kandylakis is offline Find More Posts by g_kandylakis
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Wow.
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:47 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
That's what I said when I got this from Gene. Amazing, it just got me inspired to do another build. It looks much better than the pic's. Also with his enlargement he corrected a mistake in the paper plan as the stripe behind the cockpit did not line up so he reworked that before enlarging and printing.

Gene's now working on a Top Secret D.VIII

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Aug 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Man what a neat bird. Love the scheme
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:36 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
WOW, that looks beautiful!
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
So when will we see one of those special brightly colored polkadot german planes?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
BEEEE-utiful! Simply beautiful.

I've been meaning to ask ... I know these are very lightweight machines ... and certainly NOT for the new pilot.

... do they hold up well over the long haul? Will they withstand the bumps and bruises of rc flying?
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:59 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Oddshot,

Yes! the tissue actually gives them more strength for very little if any weight gain over airbrushed birds. Indoors on hardwood floors is the hardest on these but even there there's little damage since they are so light the big danger is a bigger 3D type or other big plane with a big prop and mid air strikes or whacks.

Pete
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:54 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
I know these are very lightweight machines ... and certainly NOT for the new pilot.
The light weight is an advantage since a crash is more like a bounce because these airframes don't have much mass.

As far as NOT being for a new pilot...well, experience helps with any airframe, but these airplanes are pretty dog-gone stable, especially given the right "toss it onto a bed" to check flight balance, etc before the maiden. (Pete's a master of properly setting up CG, etc - I think he can make anything fly on the first attempt!)

Quote:
... do they hold up well over the long haul? Will they withstand the bumps and bruises of rc flying?
ABSOLUTELY!!!

As Pete said, the tissue adds an element of strength, as does the carbon fiber in the leading edge. Added to that, the UHU Por adhesive that's used is flexible, affording some give in the event of a "hard touchdown".

And speak of touchdowns, that clever Pete generally uses sprung landing gear that absorbs the shock of landings. I've worn out Depron tires doing touch and goes with absolutely no structural damage to the gear.

Also, these airframes are/should be flown more scale than aerobatic, thus avoiding hazardous situations. That's not to say you can't do mild aerobatics like loops and rolls, but they won't roll like a drill and are hard to get to spin. Programming some Aileron/Rudder Interconnect makes them wonderful fliers.

And yet another plus - in the event power is needed to fly out of an unwanted situation, the P-51 motor (which most of these models use) is powerful enough to easily do so.

So my bottom line is: DON'T be put off attempting one of these beauties! They are much, much more durable than any comparable RFT models.

Gene K

(I speak from experience as Pete has very kindly gifted me some of his wonderful creations, including the Nieuport that he built in this thread).
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:46 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Made a light ply motor mount and installed the PZ P-51 motor/gearbox. Lots of room and easy to mount. Next I'll add the brick. I may just do elevator and rudder.

Pete
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
I put in old flopy disc hinges in the elevator and half of the rudder (the other half will be in the tail of the fuselage).

Installed the brick in this case since I only want rudder & elevator I'm using a HZ Champ brick (you can get the brick motor/gearbox and two push rods if you buy a HZ fuselage)

I also thought I'd use the paper plan tissue covered foam motor that Gene sent me I'll doctor it up with a few more details to try and make it look better. I'm lazy and didn't want to take the time right now to do a detailed micro motor the FZ Albatros motor beefed up would work great in this bird. I didn't have any extras.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Aug 25, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
671 Posts
speedy, Beautiful workmanship and detail. Would you adopt me and teach me how this work is done? Or sell me printed tissue.
JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Added a few details to the foam motor, painted the prop, installed the tail feathers with push rod horns and added some dihedral in the bottom wing.

Worked on the top wing struts and the landing gear. The LG will have some spring (A Speedy01 suggestion)using the light ply center rib with a tight hole and outside ribs with slots. I may redo the bottom with ply instead of foam.

It's starting to take shape.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I may redo the bottom with ply instead of foam.
Too "twisty? The LG wing will get stiffer after you glue the top on. Suggest you apply the tissue before folding back the top to keep the foam from creasing.

You could also put a thin (.030) CF rod on the leading edge of what you have, fold the foam over, and glue another rod on the trailing edge. However, I think the foam wing will be strong enough.

Quote:
It's starting to take shape.
Understatement ... as usual.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01