HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
The pilot's expression doesn't surprise me at all with those throws!
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,731 Posts
Rock and Roll....!!!!

Maiden is done!! Ten packs on the ExtraVaganza!! Great Flying Plane, just needed a couple clicks of Aileron, probably because I have my battery off to the side, will adjust for lateral balance before I go out in the morning, every thing else was right on. Fiddled around a little with the CG, found a pretty good spot, will measure and post a little later, might try and move it back a little more tomorrow.

This is not a floatie plane. I believe that Ido's intent was for something that flies more like balsa... Bingo!! Flies really nice when you stay in and work the throttle a little more than the lower wing loaded planes.

Harriers are awesome, a little bit of wing rock, at lower throttle, but it you work it you can make them nice and smooth. Right side up and Inverted, very nice! At one point I was in the middle of a 15 or 20 ft inverted tail drag and gave it up thinking that I was not going to be able to push though it, but just as I decided to give it up I realized I could probably have pulled it off, I think there is video footage of that!! Got grass stains on the top of the nose... went in several times while trying to get lower and lower while inverted, no damage at all, held up beautifully. Gotta love EPP and the sturdy Telink construction!

Hovers very nice, right now I have a neutral thrust line, may experiment a little with this in the morning as well to see if I can get it to lock while hovering.

Knife Edge was not a problem a tiny bit of coupling but very manageable.

Rollers were easy, not difficult at all to keep the nose up. Excellent Roll Rate.

First couple packs were with the recommended 11x5.5e prop, after about 4 packs with that prop, I also tried a 11x4.7sf prop, which also worked well. I will try other props with time.

I will cut and paste this post into the first page for future reference.

more tomorrow
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:13 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,731 Posts
A taste of what some of you may have on the way, and others may be pondering!!
Watch it on youtube for a little better quality.... Enjoy!
cdee
Telink 48" ExtraVaganza (2 min 7 sec)

Last edited by cdee; Aug 19, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:11 AM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Apr 2012
12 Posts
On the above pics at the flying field, the battery isn't shown. Could you please show your battery placement? It looks like you locate the Lipo on the Velcro strip above the ESC. Why didn't you use the slot through the fuse method shown in the Slick build. Also could you show the opposite side with location of your RX and servo leads?
Thanks
Bmanfly is offline Find More Posts by Bmanfly
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:37 AM
United Kingdom, Worthing
Joined May 2008
70 Posts
Nice work cdee - superb build thread!

For those who fancy another perspective on the ExtraVaganza have a look at Slippyr4 build thread on the UK forum HighAlpha. ParkAero didnít instigate this build so itís totally the customers findings and point of view.
http://www.highalpha.org/forum/viewt...p?f=62&t=12256

Bmanfly. There are some shots at the end of this thread that show Slippyr4 battery placement which I hope will help.

Mark @PA.
SparkyMarki is offline Find More Posts by SparkyMarki
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,229 Posts
Love the maiden flight Chris, she looks stellar in the air with you on the sticks, definitely a winner for sure. Bmanfly, one of the things we have become accustom to with the battery in the fuse method would be to strap the battery on the out side of the fuse which allows you to tuning your CG before making the battery slot. I'm sure Chris will go into more detail of the battery location and cg he suggest once he fines a liking for is battery/CG.
Twisted Realm is online now Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Awesome plane. Makes me really want one. Its a big plane but doesn't seem to take up a lot of space while flying. I would say my park that I fly at is about that size in the video. Next question which to myself is hmmm will it fit in th car. Have a small car at the moment with a car seat for the 4 year old in it. Lol. Definetly on my list to buy at some point now after seeing the short video.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmanfly View Post
On the above pics at the flying field, the battery isn't shown. Could you please show your battery placement? It looks like you locate the Lipo on the Velcro strip above the ESC. Why didn't you use the slot through the fuse method shown in the Slick build. Also could you show the opposite side with location of your RX and servo leads?
Thanks
Bmanfly.... yes, you are correct there is a Velcro strip along the right side of the plane just above the ESC. I plan on try a couple different motor and battery combos with the model for comparison sake and did not want to lock my self into a specific location (and size) for the battery at this time. I may, when finding the combination that I like best, cut a slot for the battery. Shown location for the battery with this build put the CG within the mfg's specified range.

Rx and servo leads... 12" extensions are shown in my build, which very much limited the placement of my Rx, for more flexibility, longer extension would be nice. Twisted Hobbys' has some 16 inch extensions that would work nicely. Make sure you bury the Rx in the fuse if mounting in an area around the ailerons.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Apr 2012
12 Posts
Tanks Guyz
Bmanfly is offline Find More Posts by Bmanfly
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,731 Posts
for those interested... some stills captured from the raw video. Tried to get some that showed the counter balances working on the ailerons.

Enjoy!
cdee
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:58 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,731 Posts
Alright!
Now that I am done "playing" around... I am back to the working on the steps in the build thread... thanks for all those that have been patient with me on the process... I must say this is turning out to be a really fun project, getting the maiden in yesterday was the icing on the cake, had a great time flying it, felt completely comfortable from the first launch.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:13 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Very nice Chris those harriers look real nice, a good high angle with quite a bit of forward speed still. That video makes me want one even more.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:19 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Very nice Chris those harriers look real nice, a good high angle with quite a bit of forward speed still. That video makes me want one even more.
Yea... like mentioned this plane is not floatie, so much more like a balsa plane in that regard (and that is what we are all after, right? EPP that holds up to crashes but flies like balsa?), so with that said you have to manage the throttle a little more and stay a little more power on. I did put it in the ground pretty hard a couple times while doing inverted harriers and low rollers... did not need to make single repair, held up beautifully. I am looking forward to my next outing with it.
cdee
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
did not need to make single repair, held up beautifully. I am looking forward to my next outing with it.
cdee
You clearly weren't low enough then!!!
slippyr4 is offline Find More Posts by slippyr4
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:54 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippyr4 View Post
You clearly weren't low enough then!!!
LOL! yes there is that...!! Lower is always better, will sneak up on it the next couple times out.
cdee