HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:48 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippyr4 View Post
Don't want to steal cdee's thunder, this s his thread. I wrote about mine on highalpha.
Link?

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
Getting Close...!!

I have not forgotten about you guys, just been busy... aaaahhh.... building an airplane... lol!

All up weight is right at 26oz or around 740g... this is with the 78g motor and a 1600 3s lipo. I will also test the 100g motor and 2200 3s.

Depending on how and where you locate your Rx you will need either 10 or 12" extensions (2x). This is based on the Power Combo Servos, they have longer leads than most so keep that in mind if you are use another brand.

Maiden and flight pics will be coming this afternoon!!!

The rest of the build thread will also get completed tonight and in the morning.

This has been great build.... all the details will follow of course with the posting of the build photos and Twisted Hobbys Manual.
ENJOY!!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 18, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:14 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Looks good Cdee. The red color scheme in awesome. Very interested in a Extra/Sbach comparison.

Let's get some video rollin
yep, hoping to get some footage this afternoon.
cdee
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
yep, hoping to get some footage this afternoon.
cdee
Looking good. i like the countor balances. Can you show the rudder servo and linkage? Would like to see if they have made any changes.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
So how much heavier is it than the slick?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Looking good. i like the countor balances. Can you show the rudder servo and linkage? Would like to see if they have made any changes.
The biggest change of course is that these tail feathers are hinged, as oppossed to being a beveled area in the EPP. Seems really nice. So with this said, it changes the hinge point a little, but still the Rudder is not a straight shot... I opted to put the slightest bend up by the servo horn, my thought was that this would be the most rigid. The way the links are hooked up, I am right at 100% throw on the radio, getting 50deg of elevator (up & down) and 45 on the rudder, ailerons are 40deg... with as big as the ailerons are in relationship to the wing I think it will be more than enough.
cdee
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
So how much heavier is it than the slick?
My Slick is actually heavier, but I have big servos in it... If I take the weight difference in servos and everything else being equal, ie flight battery etc than the ExtraVaganza if 15g (yep that's right 15 grams) heavier. There is also a difference in motors too, the Slick has 70g motor and the ExtraVaganza has the 78g motor, with all that said, the airframes are essentially the same weight.
cdee
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
build 2

This is great - anxiously waiting to finish my build. When do you think part 2 will be up?
SunnyRC is offline Find More Posts by SunnyRC
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Hope you remember to put those screws in the servo's before the maiden cdee, I'm sure you will.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:49 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Hope you remember to put those screws in the servo's before the maiden cdee, I'm sure you will.
yes.. indeed they are here somewhere on one of the workbenches...!!
cdee
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyRC View Post
This is great - anxiously waiting to finish my build. When do you think part 2 will be up?
I have about 100 pictures to put up... start sifting through them last nite, as soon as I get the maiden done I will work more on the build thread. Sorry about the delay, if you have any questions feel free to post of PM me.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 18, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
Ready Set..... Go..!!!

The last thing I do on a new build is to balance a new prop and put it on. I just balanced a new prop and put it on!!
I mentioned in an earlier post - 10 or 12 inch servo extensions... definetly 12 inch and that will be tight... you will have about 1/16" left over, or for you metric types 1.57mm! If you want a little more flexibility in where you locate your Rx you might also want 2 short extensions for the ailerons, like 2 or 3 inch OR even better yet, Brad at Twisted Hobbys has some 16" extrensions... then you could bring the servo leads straight in from the wing to give a litte extra in that direction and the Rx would be located right around CG.
Pictures below of the control throws, again, nothing special here, all the box stock stuff and right at 100% on the Tx for all channels. Pretty sure there should be enough control surface travel here to satisfy even the most extreme pilots!
The look on the Pilot's face is even more funny now while looking at this set of pictures!!...
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 18, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
Weight Less Battery... 614grams!
cdee
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, MN, Braham
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Looks sweet cdee, love the counterbalance. It will be interesting to see how it flies in contrast to all the other awesome foamy airframes you have in the hanger. Maybe a little comparo after awhile if you have time.
cttrulson is offline Find More Posts by cttrulson