HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:49 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,693 Posts
I must be crazy. It was -3 out and my fingers were getting frost bitten, but i braved the cold to fly the extra.

You might recognise the tune, but perhaps not the version.

Minus 3. (5 min 9 sec)
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:26 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
brrrrrr

Nice tune, I enjoyed that one
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:39 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
brrrrrr

Nice tune, I enjoyed that one
You know who it is?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:44 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
You know who it is?
Absolutely no idea but my ears didn't complain about that fact
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:53 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,693 Posts
Man i think im done with flying in the extreme cold. It was -2, with about -5C wind chill about 10mph. After about 5 mins my fingers had nearly dropped off. And after 8mins the battery completely died and i dunked it in from about 30ft and broke a prop. I was not even contemplating putting another prop on. Packed up and went home. More snow forecast tonight.

Cold As Ice (2 min 39 sec)

Trying some more harriers. Question - do i need more expo on my rudder? I seem to be getting wing rock (see 1.00), or is it the wind or my dumb thumbs.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:46 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,754 Posts
Hi Jimbo. Definitely not an expert here but IMO it's best to see what kind of wingrock you might be experiencing in calmer conditions. 10 MPH can make any harrier less than ideal. Thats what I'd do first anyway.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:48 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,693 Posts
I must be crazy. It was snowing heavily today. So we went to the park again. You can see the landing, it was a soft one for once!

extra13 (2 min 24 sec)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:57 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Man your brave, hope that wasn't dog poop on your wing!

Looks like your wee man had a good time. I can see me making a snow man tomorrow with mine
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Man your brave, hope that wasn't dog poop on your wing!

Looks like your wee man had a good time. I can see me making a snow man tomorrow with mine
LOL, the plane is covered in mud, and i cant get rid of the stuff.. I left the undercarriage behind again, and man it was windy, you can see the plane get blown about.
School was closed
Still no boarding? If we have 6inches you must have about 3ft up there.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:13 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Naa I reckon you've got more snow than us at the minute. Makes a change eh. We're supposed to be getting quite a bit over the weekend so we might get a chance to get up the hill next weekend.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Well I took the time to look over the crash damage. Motor is done for, 2 of the magnets are cracked in half. The airframe should be fine with a few small pieces of CF reinforcements, although it will be ugly.

Anyone have any recommendation motors from HK for this plane? I can't afford to spend $45 on a new motor...looking to get one for under $20.
JamesFM is offline Find More Posts by JamesFM
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:45 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Trying some more harriers. Question - do i need more expo on my rudder? I seem to be getting wing rock (see 1.00), or is it the wind or my dumb thumbs.
I found this that might be of use to you:

"For your 3-D rates, start with 75% expo for both rudder and elevator. If your high alpha rolling harriers are not axial, but jerky, you have too much rudder authority and so increase the rudder expo to say 85% and try again. Conversely, if your rolling harriers tend to have the nose drop out of high alpha, you have too little rudder authority and so decrease the rudder expo to say 65% and try again"

I suggest starting with 75% on everything and going from there. I believe that Doc Austin (used to or still does) fly everything on 45degree throw, with 75% expo.

Try reducing the rudder expo in 10% increments after trying on 75%. I have seen guys fly wiht only 20%expo on rudder I think, to give more control feel, but 75% would be a good starting point for everything.

Last I checked, Ido flys with 25% on ailerons, but can't speak for his settings on this model.

It will come down to personal preference probably.
Rick
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:46 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
I found this that might be of use to you:

"For your 3-D rates, start with 75% expo for both rudder and elevator. If your high alpha rolling harriers are not axial, but jerky, you have too much rudder authority and so increase the rudder expo to say 85% and try again. Conversely, if your rolling harriers tend to have the nose drop out of high alpha, you have too little rudder authority and so decrease the rudder expo to say 65% and try again"

It will come down to personal preference probably.
Rick
Good post that makes sense when you think about it. I'm not very good at setting models up with the radio, I tend to just set it up where I think it should be and then just get used to flying it like it is. I'm better at tweaking the cog to my liking since I got into Twisted planes, I used to do the same with that too.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:37 AM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
I must be crazy. It was -3 out and my fingers were getting frost bitten, but i braved the cold to fly the extra.

You might recognise the tune, but perhaps not the version.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eC5zZTgjD4
-3? good weather. I fly all year round here in Canada. last year I maidened my 3D Beast in -10.
VR Eyedoc is online now Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:04 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Sooo i started the build of the removable wing version and i can't understand what i'm cutting in the second step. It has 3 measurements, am i cutting it so the end of the tube has no foam around it? Also the 3rd step looks like something is wrapped around the CF tube and has a measurement of 80mm but i have nothing i could wrap my CF tube in. Are the 2 tubes that go in each wing supposed to go all the way to the end of the wing? Anyone with actual pics of the removable wing would be awsome!

Any help appreciated, i'm building this for a friend so i really don't want to mess it up.

EDIT: Figured that part out by moving on to the fuselage. When i got to the green wing tube holder i realized the cuts are to accommodate this piece while still allowing the wings to touch. Soooo i just laid that piece against the wings and cut the wings out to let that piece sit nicely in the middle.

Still haven't figured out what the string looking part is on the tube there is and i also don't understand how the wing tube will stay in the middle. Won't it just slide between the 2 wings since the carbon tubes dont have any kind of stopper?
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Last edited by hone1er; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:20 AM.