HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:26 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,744 Posts
Watch... now it probably won't snow any more for the rest of the year..!!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:32 PM
United States, IN, Fishers
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dBuster View Post
Merry Christmas everybody !
Had the day off to build myself a New TELINK"ExtraVaganza" , actually the first one I build since the prototype testing , so I can't wait to go out and play
Motor : DUALSKY - XM3536EA-7
ESC : DUALSKY - 40amp XC4018BA
Battery : DUALSKY - XP22503GT-S 45C
Servos (new for me - mini size and not micro) DS3401 4.3 kg.cm
DMSS XG8
I like where you have the compartment for the battery.
But how do you adjust for CG?
platnuim1 is offline Find More Posts by platnuim1
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:33 PM
United States, IN, Fishers
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Here is a quick video of me flying the 48 inch in the living room.

Twisted Hobbies Telink 48" Extra 330SC Red Removable-Wing (0 min 52 sec)
platnuim1 is offline Find More Posts by platnuim1
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:32 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,699 Posts
LOL Thats great but my wife would kill me if she caught me attempting that. Still enjoying my ExtraV though. Have a second on the table with a lighter weight set up going in to it.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:04 PM
the bird that can't fly..
אוסטרליה
Joined Sep 2004
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by platnuim1 View Post
I like where you have the compartment for the battery.
But how do you adjust for CG?
I don't .. Before I cut I hold the airplane from the fus and look where I want my CG , for me its dead level when you hold at the recommended CG point , as well - close enough is good enough
3dBuster is online now Find More Posts by 3dBuster
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:44 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by platnuim1 View Post
Here is a quick video of me flying the 48 inch in the living room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOVB8...ature=youtu.be
Fantastic, first the CY lite now the Extravaganza like your style
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:50 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,657 Posts
Chopped Wing on the extra by 2 inches

I chopped the wings down by 1 inch either side and took it too the park.

Wings chopped by 1inch each side by slopeflyer12, on Flickr

The weather has been absolutely appalling recently, cold, windy(about 15mph) and spitting rain. But it was the best day for 2 weeks, so i braved the elements. Anyway, i harly noticed the difference in flying performance. I cruised about and took it easy no low flying, as it was windy and i need to preserve props. Practiced my precision aerobatics, loops, bunts, cubans, inverted cubans, rolls, 4 pointers, knife edge and rolling loops, no rollers (thumbs didnt feel up to it. Still finding it hard to hover. it wont just dangle there like the lighter foamies (it was windy but its usually windy when i fly).

Anyway, my batteries didnt last long, perhaps the cold, i got 9mins and 6mins respectively, they have sat charged for few weeks, as ive not flown it due to the poor weather. Do batteries lose grunt if you keep them charged? I usually get over 12mins on a pack. On the last pack, it even gave up while i was at altitude, and i had to glide it back to earth. Its gliding performance is not up to much i can say for sure.

One area where there was a massive improvement though ! I did notice the difference in convenience, it now fits in my car, without removing the child seats, and putting the seats down! What a result.! It will get some more airtime now perhaps if the weather improves. The main reason i chopped the wings was because it was a pain to get in and out the car.

Did you know 2012 was the officially the wettest year in UK history. We are blessed !
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Last edited by jimbo320; Jan 02, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:58 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
I chopped the wings down by 1 inch either side and took it too the park.

....... Anyway, my batteries didnt last long, perhaps the cold, i got 9mins and 6mins respectively, they have sat charged for few weeks, as ive not flown it due to the poor weather. Do batteries lose grunt if you keep them charged? I usually get over 12mins on a pack.......
There is lots of information out there on how to store Lipos, but in general in terms of charge, if you are not going to use them for a while, it is best to store them around 40 to 60 percent of their capacity, many chargers have a "store" function.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:06 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,657 Posts
Cheers cdee,
I had an extra thought (excuse the pun), i was flying with a 11 x7 prop on the front. Which probably reduced the flight time. It certainly packs a bit more punch, and there was no danger of anything overheating... the weather was blimming cold again.... ESC and battery were slightly warm but not much.

I also flew it without the undercarriage as i forgot it. Im sure this moved the CG back by quite a considerable margin, but again i didnt notice any difference.
So this vid has the shorter wings and the rearward CG.

And before you ask, Yes i broke the prop on the landing... Now i know you cant fly this plane without the gear if you want to keep you prop in one piece. So im down to my last one. I think ill need to get 10 next time.

Anyway heres the video, i was trying some rolling loops and generally having a bit of fun. I find that if i fly the extra quite unlike my crack yak, with smooth moves i enjoy it almost as much. As i said its going to be getting a lot more airtime now its easy to transport

Wind was about 10-15mph.

Telink extra with cut down wings (4 min 42 sec)
Last edited by jimbo320; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:08 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
I think you will find it was the cold weather, I get the same problem.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Well, I learned my lesson the expensive way. Always remember to set fail safes.

About 3 seconds after takeoff I lost all control and my extra went to full power. Pile drived straight into the ground. Snow apparently didn't cushion it at all .

Damage is pretty bad. The motor is toast. I haven't taken it apart, but it's rubbing bad and it looks like the C-clip flew off somehow. Motor mount is trashed, entire lower half is crushed. The CF reinforcements flew out too.

The airframe is repairable but honestly with how much welder's I'd need to use to get it rigid again I doubt it's worth it, it's really gnarly up front . Pretty sad because I only got about 50 or 60 flights on her.
JamesFM is offline Find More Posts by JamesFM
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:01 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,657 Posts
You only make that mistake once. Sorry to hear the damage was bad.
Failsafes are imperative on power planes, do not fly without them, you can be rest assured the throttle will power up..
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:14 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Yeh sorry to hear about the mishap too. On every build I do (read as when I remember) one of the last things I do before flying is restrain the model and turn the tx off with the throttle at a set at a reasonable pace.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:33 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFM View Post
Well, I learned my lesson the expensive way. Always remember to set fail safes.

About 3 seconds after takeoff I lost all control and my extra went to full power. Pile drived straight into the ground. Snow apparently didn't cushion it at all .

Damage is pretty bad. The motor is toast. I haven't taken it apart, but it's rubbing bad and it looks like the C-clip flew off somehow. Motor mount is trashed, entire lower half is crushed. The CF reinforcements flew out too.

The airframe is repairable but honestly with how much welder's I'd need to use to get it rigid again I doubt it's worth it, it's really gnarly up front . Pretty sad because I only got about 50 or 60 flights on her.
Give it a day or two then go back and look over the damage. Usually when i do that i'll come back a day or two later and glue everything back together in about an hour. It usually looks worse than it is, especially for foam planes. A little glue and patience will be worth it.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:38 AM
the bird that can't fly..
אוסטרליה
Joined Sep 2004
313 Posts
25km winds ?? let's fly!

I try to fly even when its very windy , its very different kind of flying .
Keeping the nose pointing to the wind all the time is hard work , but it is a great practice!

A local flyer from the club took this short video
Dodo Extravaganza (0 min 32 sec)

Ido
3dBuster is online now Find More Posts by 3dBuster