HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:53 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
A bit difficult to tell Jimbo from the video, I'm talking about a pure vertical climb from a static vertical prop hang. It may be the video, but most of your climb-outs seem not to be purely vertical?

Mike
OK fair enough, I find it has plently of punch even vertically too, but i dont have anything of a similar size to compare it to.

I flew the Crack Yak first and it was a little too windy, so i tried the extra and it went well.

Im pleased you like the Extra and congrats on the maiden.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
Thanks Jimbo, it might be my lipos suffering in the cold, I don't know how warm it was today where you were? Might be that your lipos are better than mine

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeacham68 View Post
I've recently built the removable wing version of the Extravaganza. I maidened it last Sunday and have about 5 flights so far. It's not flying quite right yet though.

First of all I still have some work to do on the CG. I have measured the current CG accurately and it is at the rearmost point in the recommended range at 115mm. It still flies level with a little up elevator, however, as well as pulling to the canopy in a knife edge and needing too much forward stick for my liking when inverted. All of these things point to CG being too far forward, but as I said, it is as far back as you're supposed to go. Have others had this same experience? Any suggestions? Just keep shoving the battery back until it flies right?

Another issue is the thrust line. I thought it looked a little to the left once the motor was in and indeed it needed right rudder to fly straight. I shimmed the motor mount until it looked straight but it still needs some right rudder. I've shimmed it some more to give it some right thrust but haven't tested it yet. Has anyone else found it needs some right thrust? Horizontal thrust line is dead level which seems to work fine.

I'm sure these things can be sorted and it will be great fun. I'm already much braver at harrier flight near the ground than with my nice shiny Extreme Flight Edge 540, which is the whole idea for getting the Telink. I've never flown such a big foamy before and compared to the balsa Edge it is rather imprecise, feeling a bit like a balsa plane with very poor centring servos. I suppose this is normal. Anyway, once I get it flying better I'm looking forward to trying some moves which I don't dare try on the Edge.

Mark
Sounds like you and I have the same 2 airplanes for the same reason. Foamies bounce!! Actually I have the Telink 43" Yak-55 and the Extreme Flight 48" Edge 540. I had the privilege to be at 3 different fun-fly meets with BOTH the Extreme Flight team and the Twisted Hobbies guys. I asked Chris Jewett to help me balance my Yak and run through a few maneuvers to see if it is set up right. All I can say is WOW . Chris flew the wings off my Yak and very crisp and precise. He has a high energy style of flying - on the throttle a LOT - and total command. I knew it could do all that stuff by watching the videos, but I can't do it, so I tend to feel like it's the airplane and not me. Well, it's definitely me, not the airplane .

Chris moved my battery back about 1/2" more than I would have - then he was happy. Now it flies inverted with almost zero down stick (maybe actually zero!). It took some time for me to get used to that, since I was so used to putting in some down. I know he did several checks, if I can remember. First was upright and inverted at about 3/4 throttle. Move the pack until both are level with no stick input. Then I think he did a straight downline with zero throttle to check for something else. It was a while ago, so I can't really remember.

The other thing he did was set my Expo to 35%. He said it's much better to get used to a lower expo, then you have more crisp response. I was already using 35% on my little 30" 3D foamies, so it did not take long to get used to this. My buddies who fly 75% expo don't like my Yak 'cuz it's too squirrely to them. I love it. I can't fly their planes 'cuz now they feel too mushy to me. Also I now fly with much more throttle like Chris was doing.

I also had to shim the motor to get a little right thrust, but did not think to ask about this.

I love my Yak and about ready to order one of the other 48" models.

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:07 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,050 Posts
because of it being bigger than most epp's , would you have to use the LG? or could i land it without like my 32" edge? some of my flying places are in grassy fields but some are with concrete pads and low grass. would like to get something to transition to balsa and something that handles wind alil better. and i really like the looks of this bird
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
because of it being bigger than most epp's , would you have to use the LG? or could i land it without like my 32" edge? some of my flying places are in grassy fields but some are with concrete pads and low grass. would like to get something to transition to balsa and something that handles wind alil better. and i really like the looks of this bird
The landing gear is easily removeable, so you could do both.

Mike
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:11 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,595 Posts
What expo settings are you guys using? I read derek is using 35%, that way less me at 60%. Perhaps i need to reduce mine. After all this isnt a crack yak is it?
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:29 AM
the bird that can't fly..
אוסטרליה
Joined Sep 2004
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
What expo settings are you guys using? I read derek is using 35%, that way less me at 60%. Perhaps i need to reduce mine. After all this isnt a crack yak is it?
Depend on your fingers , no right or wrong , just fly and see what's feel good for you.

Expo will be very from airframe to airframe , as we all have different servo setup , radio setup , and different deflection - all of this change the effect of expo "needed" to the pilot feel only!

(:
Ido ,
3dBuster is offline Find More Posts by 3dBuster
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:39 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
As Ido said it depends on many things and personal preference, I always use large deflections so I run 70% on aileron and elevator and as I like a fairly sharp rudder, I use 20% on that.

Mike
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:51 PM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Hey guys..Hope everyones Thanksgiving was nice!

I think I narrowed down my next TH bird down to 2 but want to know from guys that drive small cars like me (Hyundai Elantra) if the 48" birds fit in without a struggle. I know there's a removable wing version but I REALLY like the yellow scheme. Enough to pick it over a removable wing version.
BrightCap232 is online now Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightCap232 View Post
Hey guys..Hope everyones Thanksgiving was nice!

I think I narrowed down my next TH bird down to 2 but want to know from guys that drive small cars like me (Hyundai Elantra) if the 48" birds fit in without a struggle. I know there's a removable wing version but I REALLY like the yellow scheme. Enough to pick it over a removable wing version.
That's a mid-size car in the UK , you should be able to get it on the back seat or through the hatch back without any real trouble.

Mike
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Mike is right a 48" should fit in no problem
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:45 AM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Good deal..have the 48" sbach coming
BrightCap232 is online now Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightCap232 View Post
Good deal..have the 48" sbach coming
Hope you have picked the right one

Mike
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:38 PM
United Kingdom, St Albans
Joined Jul 2005
11 Posts
Hi guys I recently purchased the 1.2m Extravaganza in the UK many thanks to Park Aero for a great service. The Extravaganza is a model that is quite similar to the Majestic I had years ago. It appears to have the qualities of a pattern ship with some 3D capability attached. Its very precise and will fly IMAC or F3A maneuvers very well. It fly's big for a foam model. The roll rate is moderate and very controllable. For 3D it fly's more like balsa meaning I had to stay on power and sticks to get it to 3D in high alpha without falling out of the sky (not that it has any bad habits it doesn't) not quite like the reaction of a typical foamy that will fly on without power around your head. All in all Iam happy with the precision aerobatics of this plane but for out and out 3D I would say go for the Telink Buster 3D as it rocks on every 3D level but is not as precise as the Extra. Well made and well engineered durable model with the right build modifications.
3D-arren is offline Find More Posts by 3D-arren
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-arren View Post
Hi guys I recently purchased the 1.2m Extravaganza in the UK many thanks to Park Aero for a great service. The Extravaganza is a model that is quite similar to the Majestic I had years ago. It appears to have the qualities of a pattern ship with some 3D capability attached. Its very precise and will fly IMAC or F3A maneuvers very well. It fly's big for a foam model. The roll rate is moderate and very controllable. For 3D it fly's more like balsa meaning I had to stay on power and sticks to get it to 3D in high alpha without falling out of the sky (not that it has any bad habits it doesn't) not quite like the reaction of a typical foamy that will fly on without power around your head. All in all Iam happy with the precision aerobatics of this plane but for out and out 3D I would say go for the Telink Buster 3D as it rocks on every 3D level but is not as precise as the Extra. Well made and well engineered durable model with the right build modifications.
Yes I love mine and basically your description is what Ido set out to get from this model. I haven't flown the Buster, but i have flown most of the Telinks and the Extra with large control surface movements seems to perform as well as the others at 3D to me.

Mike