HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:33 AM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
You're really gonna enjoy your new addition. Just take your time with the build and do it right.

Winn
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
So I've been flying my Extra for a while now and I think it's currently my favorite foamie. It's a lot of fun to fly and so close to wood in terms of performance! I can't imagine a better tool for learning to fly low and hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbcVEApngqM

I've crashed it a few times doing full throttle rifle rolls with no damage.

Great job Telink and Ido!
Nice flying Cody!!!
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:43 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
Nice flying Cody!!!
OMG, what have i let myself in for...

Fantastic flying skills Cody.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:08 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Great flying Cody. Some nice big smooth stuff as well.

Jimbo, what have you let yourself in for? I think you'll love it.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:06 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Great flying Cody. Some nice big smooth stuff as well.

Jimbo, what have you let yourself in for? I think you'll love it.
Yep me too. Lets hope it lasts long enough for me to start to enjoy it.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:02 AM
the bird that can't fly..
אוסטרליה
Joined Sep 2004
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
So I've been flying my Extra for a while now and I think it's currently my favorite foamie. It's a lot of fun to fly and so close to wood in terms of performance! I can't imagine a better tool for learning to fly low and hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbcVEApngqM

I've crashed it a few times doing full throttle rifle rolls with no damage.

Great job Telink and Ido!

What a Superb flying!! great video , great music!! watched it and LOVED it!

Well done my friend ,

Ido ,
3dBuster is offline Find More Posts by 3dBuster
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:39 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,708 Posts
Wing Warp

Ive started putting my extra together, im on the wings but have noticed there is quite a considerable warp in one of the wings. I havent fitted the spa yet, just attached the two wings together, any suggestions what to do? I dont really want to be flying with a warped wing. In the pics ive just laid the wing flat and weighted the centre. One side is accuate the other i can fit a servo arm under the wing.
Obviously i can weight the wing in certain place when i insert the spas. What order should i do it? Topside up or down?
Edit : I suppose i should ask first is this what i expect to see or isnt it?
Or should i be checking it for straight the other way up.
Thanks.
Jimbo.
Last edited by jimbo320; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Apr 2007
73 Posts
My wing twisted after I left the plane leaning up against something in the garage. Warming it with a hairdryer soon straightened it up. It seems that EPP has "memory" like some other plastics.
slippyr4 is offline Find More Posts by slippyr4
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:27 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippyr4 View Post
My wing twisted after I left the plane leaning up against something in the garage. Warming it with a hairdryer soon straightened it up. It seems that EPP has "memory" like some other plastics.
+1 Agree.

I have seen video's in which damaged EPP parts were put in hot water and returned to their original shape. I would try the hair dryer first though.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:44 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,708 Posts
This isn't damaged epp, this is a brand new kit, not stored at all. I'll do a more accurate assement later when I back at the house.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:59 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
EPP can warp easily in transport(shipping)and you need to check for warps before putting together any EPP kits. Actually, even quality balsa kits need to be checked for straightness before assembly. It's a normal thing, it happens. Just get it straight before moving on.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:04 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Is that a part built Crack Pitts I see in that first pic Jimbo

Don't forget the wing is tapered, i.e. it is thicker in the middle than at the tips so if it was sat flat on your bench that way round it would actually have a bit of dihedral in it. I'd just get the rods in it, either with the top flat meaning there is a slight dihedral or prop one tip up so the wing is flat.

What I tend to do is do the top first. Cut the slit just deep enough then run the tip of the rod along the slit to open it up a little. I like to dry fit the rod first then remove it run UHU in along the slit and fit the rod back in. You should find it goes in easier the second time as the glue sort of lubricates it, don't forget to give the rod a little rub down first. The foam should almost close back in behind the rod, wipe of any excess glue then flip in over a weight the wing down flat on the bench. Watch you don't stick it to the bench though and end up pulling off some of the decor. When it's had time to dry do the same with the bottom rod but this time leave it top down on the bench without any weight on it. I find doing it this way gives you a wing that is somewhere between flat down the centre line and flat on top but definitely does not have anhedral. I don't know if that makes any sense to you.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:55 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,708 Posts
Thanks, it makes sense.

I think i will go with the spa on the bottom first laying the decor downside.

Im guessing you are thinking adding the spars will remove the slight warp if i add weight. Is this likely to happen, i checked it over just now and it does need a little weight to remove it with the decor upside too.

Not quite sure how to get rid of the warp on plain epp. Im used to removing warps by heating the covering of a plane but not with just plain epp. Whats the process? Theres also a little warp in the aileron too towards the end.

Are you also saying that some dihehral is beneficial. I would acutally prefer the look with some dihedtral if it doesnt affect the performance too much. I could insert say a 1/16th balsa sheet under the centre section. Loops are nicer with a little dihedral too.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:26 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I think it is designed to be flat, certainly wouldn't go beyond the top of the wing being flat.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dBuster View Post
What a Superb flying!! great video , great music!! watched it and LOVED it!

Well done my friend ,

Ido ,
Thanks Ido!
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik