HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:09 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Cdee, back 1 inch from where? Got a pic?
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:24 AM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Well, instead of using velcro, I cut out a slot between the top carbon rods and the wing. My 3s packs sit almost half way back on the wing. This balances it almost on the rear CG.

I thought about using the 70+g motor, but I wanted the option of going up in power if needed. I figure the additional 1-3 ounces from the motor and the battery pack would not make a huge difference in flying quality.
noahb is offline Find More Posts by noahb
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:56 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Cdee, back 1 inch from where? Got a pic?
Just moved the battery back about an inch from where it was when balanced with the 78g motor, with the 1600mAh nano-techs the center of the battery was right about the leading edge of the wing, with the 100g, back from there, 1in.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:55 AM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Do you like the way it flies with the 100g vs. the 78g motor?
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:36 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Flew the Extra in winds of 12 with gusts to 20+ for my demo flights for the C.A.P. cadets and it handled very well. I flew with both the 1800's and 2200's and was very impressed the plane's performance.

Funfly tomorrow...looking forward to some more fun in the wind.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:34 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Does anyone run a bit of right thrust in their setup?

I flew mine today. It was rather windy, but it did really good. I am about 3/4 back on the CG, but I think it needs to go back even further. I have a tad bit of up elevator trim, and when I do an inverted test, it pitches down. Not bad, but feel like I need to go further back. I checked the motor and compared it to the wings and tail and everything is at 0. I figured a bit of right trust might be needed, but not sure.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:51 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I'm using the stock wood mount and I don't see any angles and have been very happy with way the 330 is flying.

I was initially concerned about the lack of thrust angles (when building) but flying the 330 made me forget all about them.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:21 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
I am currently setup with the wood motor mount and no thrust angle, did experiment a little with some "down and to the right", maybe a little better but nothing obvious.
cdee
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:51 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Well, I flew another 5 packs thru it this afternoon. The wind was not as bad, although it was still between 6-12mph. I moved the cg about 5/16 to a 1/4 inch behing the rear cg. Flies much better. When I go inverted, it now requires just a tad of down elevator to maintain level flight. I think I have it in the sweet spot, so now I will determine how much further back I need my battery to slide. Really enjoying the airplane so far. I am going to order the slick for my son. Then i will be able to compare directly as well.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:15 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Yes, I found that a rearward cg is the sweet spot for this plane. I'm almost completely neutral (flys almost perfectly level when inverted).

Had a great time at our funfly today with winds 5-10mph and the Extra performed very well and received some nice comments from a few of the balsa guys. :-) Also, with much help from the Extra, I also won the spot landing contest. Slight headwind and a nice glideslope resulted in 16" from the designated landing spot marker. I thought that perhaps the FunCubs might win, but the Extra bested them by 2". That's what I call close.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:24 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I found that a rearward cg is the sweet spot for this plane. I'm almost completely neutral (flys almost perfectly level when inverted).

Had a great time at our funfly today with winds 5-10mph and the Extra performed very well and received some nice comments from a few of the balsa guys. :-) Also, with much help from the Extra, I also won the spot landing contest. Slight headwind and a nice glideslope resulted in 16" from the designated landing spot marker. I thought that perhaps the FunCubs might win, but the Extra bested them by 2". That's what I call close.
KE Spin... grats on the spot landing win!
cdee
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Made my own wing fences today. Same as the factory ones, but just a little taller. This was the first time I flew it with any fences on. Wow, totally different plane. Its really a joy to fly now.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Glad you got them on and liked the result.

I won't be without mine.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Glad you got them on and liked the result.

I won't be without mine.
Thanks...I can't believe I've been flying this long without them. The fences combined with a 45" wingspan seems optimal.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
So do you still like the slick better, or is this getting really close?

Ok, now for the big question... What differences are you guys seeing with the wing fences?