HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
You'll have to trim just a little off the nose to fit it. Also, battery placement will be further back that normal. Mines a little nose heavy running 1800 packs but its not bad. I did use a good bit of glue on the front though. Tried a 11x3.8 sf prop also. Maneuvers seem to be easier to perform with it over the 11x4.7. Not to mention, its more efficient.
Great info. I'm sure it's going to help.
asad is offline Find More Posts by asad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:26 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Are the servos from Twisted hobbies (mg 65) good servos? I need to get some more, not sure to go with the hitec's or these or others? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
noahb is offline Find More Posts by noahb
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:43 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I've heard good things about Savox and Hitech HS65's. But I'm sure if the equipment is recommended by Twisted Hobbys then it should be good. I'm using Tower Pro MG90 servos...decent and bargain priced (5pk for $40).
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:05 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,927 Posts
Twisted Hobbys' Servos....

I am using the Twisted Hobbys' MG65s for the first time in my ExtraVaganza and am very happy with them, there is also a digital version for those interested DMG65. There are also some other assorted sizes on the website. I have used many (many) of the original TP servos with very little problem, these new Twisted Hobbys' servos however are a step up and very nice. I look forward to using some of the different sizes on future planes.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:08 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
Twisted Hobbys' Servos....

I am using the Twisted Hobbys' MG65s for the first time in my ExtraVaganza and am very happy with them, there is also a digital version for those interested DMG65. There are also some other assorted sizes on the website. I have used many (many) of the original TP servos with very little problem, these new Twisted Hobbys' servos however are a step up and very nice. I look forward to using some of the different sizes on future planes.
cdee
They sure do get the job done. Plenty torque. I'm very pleased!
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Hey guys, as promised...here is another vid.

In this one you can see the taller rudder, assorted 3D and even some torque roll / anti-torque rolling.

Ray-Telink2 (3 min 8 sec)
Last edited by KE Spin; Sep 04, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:55 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post

In this one you can see the taller rudder, assorted 3D and even some torque roll / anti-torque rolling.
Promise full filled and more!! Very nice!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:25 PM
Southern California
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
KE Spin

That was SWEET!!
Pitcheron is offline Find More Posts by Pitcheron
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:50 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Guys, i those that have flown this for a bit, and maybe even the slick I need to ask an honest question. My son is wanting either the slick or the extra like I have. I have not flown it, hopefully this weekend. I will be running a torque 104gr. motor in it, with 1800 and 2200 packs (more of the 1800 that are 143gr in weight).

If I was to get the slick (which it seems most of the weights are around 26-28oz.) should I go with a bit larger of a motor like in the 90-100 gr. size or should I stay 70gr. I don't want to end up getting the 70 gr. and it not really have a good punch out, then need to switch out to a more powerful motor. He mainly likes to hover, with some attempts at tumbling and so forth.

Any suggestions as to which plane and which size motor would be appreciated.

The only reason I used this motor is I had it laying around from a PA Katana MD that I had.

I also have a Thrust 20 motor (70gr.) that I use to have in a addiction that I could modify to fit, but not sure about the power and so forth.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:58 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb View Post
Guys, i those that have flown this for a bit, and maybe even the slick I need to ask an honest question. My son is wanting either the slick or the extra like I have. I have not flown it, hopefully this weekend. I will be running a torque 104gr. motor in it, with 1800 and 2200 packs (more of the 1800 that are 143gr in weight).

If I was to get the slick (which it seems most of the weights are around 26-28oz.) should I go with a bit larger of a motor like in the 90-100 gr. size or should I stay 70gr. I don't want to end up getting the 70 gr. and it not really have a good punch out, then need to switch out to a more powerful motor. He mainly likes to hover, with some attempts at tumbling and so forth.

Any suggestions as to which plane and which size motor would be appreciated.

The only reason I used this motor is I had it laying around from a PA Katana MD that I had.

I also have a Thrust 20 motor (70gr.) that I use to have in a addiction that I could modify to fit, but not sure about the power and so forth.
The Twisted Hobbys 70gram motor they recommend is VERY much up to task. I hover alot and when I give it juice it shoots staight up ( Plenty Power ). I would Highly recommend it, and this is coming from a guy thats got a Scorpion in the Extra.

PS...The Slick is my favorite. You and your boy will be extremely happy. I know I am. I fly it almost everyday. Anytime you have a question feel free to ask.
Last edited by winndaddy; Sep 04, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:04 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLu0z...PGACoMlD_t-pog
Very nice! Might do the rudder mod now that I seen it in action. I flew mine today since shortening the wingspan. I like it alot. Made a huge difference with roll rates. Again, thanks for the vid. I know you got to be having a blast with that thing.
Last edited by winndaddy; Sep 04, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:08 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
so does the slick fly precision stuff as well as the extra? how about stuff like hovering?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:22 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb View Post
so does the slick fly precision stuff as well as the extra? how about stuff like hovering?

Sorry for all the questions.
I find that I can be more precise with the Slick both while doing precision or 3d. although its kinda unfair as I've had the Slick for longer. I'm still fiddling with my Extra at the moment to get it to my liking. In the end, it really all boils down to personal preference.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:30 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Thanks guys! My pleasure making vids with this plane.

On the motor thing...In the vid I'm using 40c 1800mah lipos and the Telink 79g brushless motor swinging an APC 11 x 4.7 slow flyer prop. Because I have cut my Extra 330 down from 48" to 45" I believe that it is similar in weight etc to the 44" Extra Slick.

I would hesitate a little with regard to the heavier motor and bigger battery on my "clip wing" Extra (or the Extra Slick for that matter). I think this would create a little more loading than you might want and the battery would have to go back to offset the heavier motor to establish a proper cg. You certainly have plenty of power but you might also over stress the tail feathers in extreme 3d maneuvers.

However, a full 48" wing span Extra 330 with the heavier (100g) motor and the larger lipos (2200mah) might carry the load ok but IMHO you need to add the carbon fiber reinforcements that I have described and installed in my setup. I would like to see a video of the 330 flying with the "heavy" setup with particular regard to the roll rate.

Which one to buy is really a matter of personal preference. I like the 330 "clip wing" so the Extra Slick may actually be very similar. But the 48" can be a little more docile if that is what your looking for...or it could be a real power-house with the heavy setup.
Last edited by KE Spin; Sep 04, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:41 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Here is a pick of the rudder mod and all of the carbon fiber strips that I glued in the rudder / elevator.