HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
Sorry, I should have been a little more specific. But, yes, its the Scorpion SII 3008 1090kv motor. Motor is slightly warm after a hard run. All my Telink planes have the aluminum motor mount. It fits perfect. Can't comment on the wooden mount. I tossed it in the trash since I wouldn't be using it. I did run both the Scorpion and the TH's 78 gram motor on the Extra just to compare. Plane flew great with both. Understandably though, the Scorpion just has way more grunt.
Thanks. I'm happy to know it's good because I've already ordered this motor basing my selection on the fact that Ido Segev was using quite a heavy motor on his extravaganza in his debut video of the model.
asad is offline Find More Posts by asad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:30 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
145 Posts
Winndaddy,

What size motor and battery are you running in the slick? My son is wanting to get one of the slicks. I am going to run 1800 on my extra, so if the 1800 would work on the slick that will be great. Let me know,

Thanks
noahb is offline Find More Posts by noahb
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:47 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
Noahb,

I have cut my Extra 330 wing down to only 1" longer than the Extra Slick and it handles the 1800 mah lipos very well. The 1800 mah lipo should work fine in the Slick..gives just a tad bit of weight for wind penetration, snaps, etc while certainly NOT overloading the wing/airframe.

Got another video today..should be up later this evening.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:25 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb View Post
Winndaddy,

What size motor and battery are you running in the slick? My son is wanting to get one of the slicks. I am going to run 1800 on my extra, so if the 1800 would work on the slick that will be great. Let me know,

Thanks
I use the recommended 70gram motor from Twisted. For the battery, I mainly run 1600mah 25c packs. But I do run 1800mah 30c packs when the 1600's aren't charged. Both work great so you'll be fine.

Winn
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asad View Post
Thanks. I'm happy to know it's good because I've already ordered this motor basing my selection on the fact that Ido Segev was using quite a heavy motor on his extravaganza in his debut video of the model.
You'll have to trim just a little off the nose to fit it. Also, battery placement will be further back that normal. Mines a little nose heavy running 1800 packs but its not bad. I did use a good bit of glue on the front though. Tried a 11x3.8 sf prop also. Maneuvers seem to be easier to perform with it over the 11x4.7. Not to mention, its more efficient.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:00 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
Well, my 330 is now a 44.5 incher. I'm gonna let the glue for the balancers set over night. I'll give her a go tomorrow.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:59 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
Winndaddy,

I think you'll really like it at that size. At the original size the 330 is surely an excellent plane, however, with the slightly abbreviated wing span I like it even better.
Last edited by KE Spin; Sep 03, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:11 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
I'm gonna install SFG's just for the heck of it. Got some epp sheets laying around.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:13 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
Ok, so here is the last of my mods:

I increased the rudder height by about an inch. The 330 is already a good "harrier" machine, but the slight increase in rudder height makes it just tad bit better. I found that the 330, for me anyway, was better in upright harrier than inverted harrier which is counter intuitive.

Normally, when flying upside down (with rudder down in clean air) inverted harrier is generally better than upright. However, after increasing the rudder height I saw an improvement in inverted harrier flight. I can also get tigher circles in harrier and even more response to all rudder inputs with no adverse effects. Once again, the plane was plenty capable before, just seems even better now.

I believe this is the last thing that I will change as Telink really did an excellent job on the 330. I just tweaked a couple things to personal preference.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:15 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
I'm gonna install SFG's just for the heck of it. Got some epp sheets laying around.
I would be interested to see the results.

Have you installed the wing fences that came with the ARF?
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:54 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
I would be interested to see the results.

Have you installed the wing fences that came with the ARF?
No, should I have? Big difference? The reason for me installing some SFG's has more to do with esthetics than anything. If it doesn't effect it negatively I'll be happy. I'm painting them red. Haha...
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
I have found that some planes "like" SFG's and with others, it makes no difference. However, when it comes to "wing fences"...the sfg looking things that came with the plane..I have found a near universal improvement on almost any plane. These are mounted in from the the wing tip around 150-160mm on the 330. Having flown with them on and off....definitely put them on...right where the manual says.

The wing fences stop the "span-wise" flow of air essentially across the airfoil and get it headed back toward the trailing edge. The benefits are improved stability, reduction or elimination of wing rock, better tracking and some improvement in ke flight.

Give them a try and oh yes, I like RED.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:59 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,532 Posts
Hope everyone had a fun and safe Holiday Week-End....!

did a fair amount of flying myself. Tried the big motor (100g) from Twisted Hobbys and 2200 mAh packs, really liked the heavy setup, especially good when the wind was up.

Really enjoying all the posts that you all are putting out there with your thoughts, mods, etc, etc., it is a great airframe, Ido and the Telink crew did a great job!

Don't be shy about sharing more pictures and videos...
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:52 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
Cdee,

Yes, got some flying in and another video. Will try to get it posted a little later.

I've got Telink 78g motor installed and I also have some "light" 2100mah lipos coming. Should be interesting. As you know I "clipped" the wing a little but I'm interested how the full 48" would fly on the 100g motor and 2100mah or so lipos...got any video?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:25 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Cdee,

Yes, got some flying in and another video. Will try to get it posted a little later.

I've got Telink 78g motor installed and I also have some "light" 2100mah lipos coming. Should be interesting. As you know I "clipped" the wing a little but I'm interested how the full 48" would fly on the 100g motor and 2100mah or so lipos...got any video?
No current video of the heavy s/u.. will work on getting one in the que, maybe this coming week-end... The 2200s I flew with over the week end were the Hyperions out of my 450 Trex.. lol! Not sure on the weight, I think thou that hyperions tend to the heavy side. Only have a couple 2200 packs at the moment, going to get more in the next week or so.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee