HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
United States, CO, Peyton
Joined Jul 2008
54 Posts
Well maidened I guess. Throttled up let it go, and the motor died. Came down hard on the landing gear, and ripped it out. Think there is a loose conection, but gonna just solder the motor straight to the esc. It will arm and then other times it won't. Had the problem when I first hooked it up, so I installed the connectors that came extra. Worked fine, and now it only arms if I mess with it. Flew without the gear, and it was tail heavy so see if I can patch up the gear, or just fly without. Looking forward to some good flights. Atleast I got a load of batteries for the Crack Yak til I get this sorted out.
alchem is offline Find More Posts by alchem
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:26 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that. I know its frustrating, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Buy the way, for those who are considering something different, I'm running a 95gram Scorpion motor in mine with a 11x4.7 sf prop. Ample power!
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Last edited by winndaddy; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:20 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winndaddy View Post
Well, I won't go into detail, but after extensive test, the 44" Extra slick is a all around better performer than the 48" Extra. There is no comparison. Not that the 48" Extra is bad, the Extra Slick is just better in my opinion.
I guess its all about personal preference. I could'nt get the Slick stable in the upright position. Tried everything I could, just rocked all over the place. Still a great flyer. No longer have the Slick but I do know that the KE spins on the 48 inch Extra are much more axial and much more faster, (violent), than I could ever get out of the Slick. With the longer tail moment on the 48" I think the precision has to go with the 48" also. Once again, all personal preference and opinion.
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:35 AM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
I guess its all about personal preference. I could'nt get the Slick stable in the upright position. Tried everything I could, just rocked all over the place. Still a great flyer. No longer have the Slick but I do know that the KE spins on the 48 inch Extra are much more axial and much more faster, (violent), than I could ever get out of the Slick. With the longer tail moment on the 48" I think the precision has to go with the 48" also. Once again, all personal preference and opinion.
I agree, Just was expressing mine. You know the old saying, opinions are like beep, everyones got one.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:39 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcheron View Post
Hey cdee; have you thought about trying a 4S battery with the 100g motor?
Had not considered 4s. Although an interesting thought.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:21 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,588 Posts
Quote:
I agree, Just was expressing mine. You know the old saying, opinions are like beep, everyones got one.
Yep, know that saying LOL. Just as long as we have fun flying what we're flying is all that matters.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:47 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Steve,

I did a search at Youtube and watched several Extra Slick vidoes and they look pretty stable in harrier. I have found that a nose heavy plane will have some trouble in harrier and hover. Also, wing fences (such as on the 330) can really help out in harrier flight.

Windaddy, yes, my wing is just shortened but I did put in the aileron counter balances.

Regarding ke spins with the 330, I would say that they are the best and tightest that I have seen from a foamie and look much tighter than the Extra Slick. On my 330, even though I shortened the wing, ke spins are still very tight and harriers are very stable.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:55 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,588 Posts
Understood KE, I usually cut my battery space in the fuselage to where I can move the batteryabout an inch either way from CG, tried it noseheavy and tail heavy, still would'nt harrier to my tastes. Who knows. Like I said though, it was a great flyer.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:23 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,669 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the 330 and the Parkmaster that I also have. Was kind of interested in the Extra Slick but think I have that size range covered. Speaking of the 330, I'm gonna go fly right now. Take care.

Update:

Got back a few minutes ago. Winds very calm and the 330 flew fantastic. Time for another vid.
Last edited by KE Spin; Sep 02, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, CO, Peyton
Joined Jul 2008
54 Posts
Quote:
Understood KE, I usually cut my battery space in the fuselage to where I can move the batteryabout an inch either way from CG,
Have to do that myself. Had it spot on before my LG ripped out. My Voltz packs are lighter than my Turnigy packs, so I need to allow some play for that I suppose. Balance is really touchy on this plane. Had my esc as far back as I could get it, so I am thinking it may have been pulling my connetors loose (although they were wrapped with electrical tape). Also, Had my battery just past the LE of the wing. Aluminium motormount is about 10g heavier then the woodie.
alchem is offline Find More Posts by alchem
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:42 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,669 Posts
I'm using the wood mount and have my 1800 mah lipo mounted vertically on the outside of the fuselage (no cut-out) back against and centered on the wing. I can't move it back any farther but should be able to add weight to the tail if need be. The Telink motor supplies plenty of power.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the 330 and the Parkmaster that I also have. Was kind of interested in the Extra Slick but think I have that size range covered. Speaking of the 330, I'm gonna go fly right now. Take care.

Update:

Got back a few minutes ago. Winds very calm and the 330 flew fantastic. Time for another vid.
Excellent... your windy weather (flying) video was nice... looking forward to seeing your 330 in action under calm conditions. We have a "No Fly" FAA condition in effect until 3pm today... I may head out some after it has expired.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:51 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,669 Posts
Thanks Cdee. Were "shooting" for a little later this evening.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Man, sorry to hear that. I know its frustrating, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Buy the way, for those who are considering something different, I'm running a 95gram Scorpion motor in mine with a 11x4.7 sf prop. Ample power!
Is it the 1090KV motor? Must be drawing around 32 Amps. Does it stay cool? Does it fit easily on to the supplied wood mount?

Thanks,
asad is offline Find More Posts by asad
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asad View Post
Is it the 1090KV motor? Must be drawing around 32 Amps. Does it stay cool? Does it fit easily on to the supplied wood mount?

Thanks,
Sorry, I should have been a little more specific. But, yes, its the Scorpion SII 3008 1090kv motor. Motor is slightly warm after a hard run. All my Telink planes have the aluminum motor mount. It fits perfect. Can't comment on the wooden mount. I tossed it in the trash since I wouldn't be using it. I did run both the Scorpion and the TH's 78 gram motor on the Extra just to compare. Plane flew great with both. Understandably though, the Scorpion just has way more grunt.
Last edited by winndaddy; Sep 03, 2012 at 12:32 AM.