SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2008
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Yeh I skipped that step on my Telink Yak well over a year ago and its still going strong. It doesn't have the ca hinges on any of the surfaces.
Won't work on this one. Rudder and elevator are not prehinged surfaces.
Anyway, just put 3 thinner ones on the rudder and seems to be holding good. Didn't get my motor mount today so won't finish till tomorrow. Got it all done except the motor mount and fuse carbon rods, but man this thing is big.
Can't wait to fly it.

One other thing. Anyone use the aluminium motor mount, and do the carbon rods run through it to support it? I am thinking it would which is why I held off on putting the rods in the fuse until I get it, but don't have it to look at.
alchem is offline Find More Posts by alchem
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:35 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchem View Post
Won't work on this one. Rudder and elevator are not prehinged surfaces.
Anyway, just put 3 thinner ones on the rudder and seems to be holding good. Didn't get my motor mount today so won't finish till tomorrow. Got it all done except the motor mount and fuse carbon rods, but man this thing is big.
Can't wait to fly it.

One other thing. Anyone use the aluminium motor mount, and do the carbon rods run through it to support it? I am thinking it would which is why I held off on putting the rods in the fuse until I get it, but don't have it to look at.
Alchem.... the alum motor mount has similar provisions as the wooden in regards to the the carbon rods. Good idea to wait on the install of the rods.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:40 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
ExtraVaganza - Heavy....

For those that like to fly their planes on the heavy side.... 100gram motor from Twisted Hobbys' with a 2200mAh 3s pack is the ticket. A bit windy today, 10 to 15mph winds, 330 was nice a steady with the "heavy" setup. Was running a 11x3.8sf prop, which seemed to work very nicely, will experiment around with some of the thin electric props as well.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Sep 01, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:32 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
I'm running mine with the 103 gram Torque motor with 1800 lipos on a 12x6 APC prop. Haven't tried the 78 gram motor or lighter set up.Still flies nice and floaty, lots of power, and 6 minute flight times. Will try and throw a 2200 on there just to see how she feels but more than pleased with the heavier motor up front.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:43 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Guess I have to come completely clean. I trimmed my wing down to 45"...I did the cut outs etc for the aileron counter balances and made it stock...just 45" rather than 48" wing span. My intention was to increase snap and reduce roll resistance in the wind and I think between the carbon fiber added to the elevator and the smaller wing span I think it is flying great!

I am using an Eflite 480 motor and 1800 mah batteries and you can see from the video that it still harriers and really does very thing very nicely.

Regarding the 100g motor..hmmmm....I ordered the 79g motor from Twisted Hobbys which for the same weight will give me another 70 watts or about 207 watts per pound on my 27oz AUW.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Last edited by KE Spin; Sep 01, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:59 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
I'm running mine with the 103 gram Torque motor with 1800 lipos on a 12x6 APC prop. Haven't tried the 78 gram motor or lighter set up.Still flies nice and floaty, lots of power, and 6 minute flight times. Will try and throw a 2200 on there just to see how she feels but more than pleased with the heavier motor up front.
Which torque motor are you using Steve? I have the Torque 2818T/900. This is the motor I am planning on using, along with some glacier 2200. However, I can always pick up a few 1800's if needed.
noahb is online now Find More Posts by noahb
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
Experimented with some props this morning on the 100g motor from Twisted Hobbys'.... the 12x3.8 SF and 12x6 TE both worked very nice. The slow fly prop was pulling 42A which is near the high side of the ESC, but that would only probably occur intermittently at WOT. If you like low and slow the SF is probably a little better. The TE prop, definitely more efficient, and perhaps has the advantage if not always trying to hang on the prop.
cdee
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:48 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
Hey Noah. Yes, using the 2818-900 with 1800 packs. Personally I like the 1800 packs with this motor. Plenty light feeling an plenty of power if wanted. Also using an APC 12x6. Do not have any slowfly props. Shes able to slow down plenty enough cdee plus have the punch if wanted without the slowfly.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:54 PM
Southern California
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Hey cdee; have you thought about trying a 4S battery with the 100g motor?
Pitcheron is offline Find More Posts by Pitcheron
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:15 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Well, I won't go into detail, but after extensive test, the 44" Extra slick is a all around better performer than the 48" Extra. There is no comparison. Not that the 48" Extra is bad, the Extra Slick is just better in my opinion.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:28 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
191 Posts
Well, if you don't mind, I would like to hear your opinion as why the slick is better? I am putting one of these together, and pending on how this flies, may look at the slick as well.

I would like to hear what you have to say as you have flown both.

Thanks
noahb is online now Find More Posts by noahb
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Interesting...

However, it has been my experience that anyone who takes the time to conduct extensive testing is more than willing to discuss the results...in detail.

Moving right along, replaced my eflite 480 with the Telink 79g motor. First impressions, quiet, smooth and seems to have better vertical performance and a little more power.
Last edited by KE Spin; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:35 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Should of picked my wording a bit more carefully. "After flying both back to back for a few weeks now". I've found that the Slick does everything ( KE, Hover, ect ) just as good while being easier to fly. The 48" wingspan slows roll condiderably vs the Slick. When flying the Slick everything just seems more precise and agile.
Last edited by winndaddy; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:51 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
You make an interesting point about the roll rate of the 48" 330 SC. As I stated above, I had trimmed down my 330's wingspan to 45" for that very reason. Got any vids of your Extra Slick?
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:11 PM
My poor poor planes.
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
No vids....A friend contacted me yesterday to make a vid for a sponsor of his, so maybe I will have one soon. I noticed your post earlier and thought, that just might be a good idea!. You made a new cut and reglued the balancers? I'll probably do the same to mine. To me, a 44" 3d foamy like the Slick seems to be the perfect mix of agility and performance.
Last edited by winndaddy; Sep 01, 2012 at 11:20 PM.