SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:26 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Our club (Doylestown Barnstormers) is having our fall funfly on Sunday - Sept 9th. It's about 20 miles southwest of Akron, OH. Hopefully the Hillbilly Huckers will return...they were at our summer funfly in June and are a great bunch of guys. PA isn't too far..come on down for some hillbilly hospitality. :-)

BTW, what's happening in over in PA on the 7-9th?
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:29 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
3dhs fly-low in. Its in the centre hall area.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:42 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I'm supposed to fly a demo for some Civil Air Patrol kids at Doylestown on the 8th, we have the funfly on the 9th.....but that does leave the 7th. Hmmmmm. I'll have to check out the Stacks On thread and see if any of the locals are headed over on the 7th. I'm sure they must be.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:46 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I'm only going to be there on the 8th (all day Saturday). Planning to leave Friday around 8 and stay in a hotel. Then bash up my crack yak in the foamy fly. Anyways, ill stop hijacking the thread now.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:51 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Yeah, back on track.

OK, the latest Flight Update on the 330:

I think I got it all "dialed in" tonight under the lights. With the 11 x 4.7 prop and proper aileron differential I think the plane performed nearly flawless. I was able to do a descending torque roll to tail touch. Once again, not bragging on anything except how capable this plane seems to be.

Will get video tomorrow at the flying club...after the meeting.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:34 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Yeah, back on track.

OK, the latest Flight Update on the 330:

I think I got it all "dialed in" tonight under the lights. With the 11 x 4.7 prop and proper aileron differential I think the plane performed nearly flawless. I was able to do a descending torque roll to tail touch. Once again, not bragging on anything except how capable this plane seems to be.

Will get video tomorrow at the flying club...after the meeting.
KE... thanks for all the good insite on your set-up...

I have my ailerons even right now, will play around a little with some diff tomorrow.. I tried the 11 x 4.7sf last week and liked it as well. Where are you at with your CG?
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:28 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
Not the best pics.
Thanks. Looks like it did the trick, what size carbon did you use? I haven't stiffened any of my Telink ailerons but if I did I think I would use very very thin carbon top and bottom.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:15 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
i use the 3 mm x .8 or 1 mm strip. When layed vertically with ca it is very stiff.
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:26 AM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
328 Posts
Finised with the red one. Went together really nice. I tried to upload some pics from my phone but it don't want to cooperate.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:56 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Took the Extra 330 to the field today but the guy who was supposed to bring the camera forgot to bring it. Will try for video tomorrow.

Love the way the Extra flys. Got some descending torque rolls surprisingly well in winds around 6 or 7 mph.

First flights in the wind:

KE flight is very true and steady, the 330 ke spins really well for a foam plane. Point rolls were precise and sharp, rolling circles very nice and axial. The Extra harriers very well..actually does everything rather well only lacking the mass for top notch "blender" (I can get about a 1 turn inverted flat spin at the bottom of the blender.) I tried and was able get a pop top out of the Extra with about 1 upright flat spin at the top...all in all..not bad at all for a foamie.

Guess I should actually measure my CG but I can tell that it is slightly ahead of neutral (using 1800mah lipo) with zero ke coupling. So, at around 3/4 throttle the plane flys straight and level and inverted it just barely descends. Honestly, when I use the 1500mah batteries the CG is pretty neutral and I might actually enjoy it there just a tad more...hmmmmm. However, the slightly forward CG was good today with winds varying up to 10 mph.

Notes:
I cut and removed some foam for the landing gear to stick up into the fuselage. I then glued the landing gear plate in place. Next, I filled the landing gear hole with epoxy and then inserted the landing gear. Result....worked great on our grass field. The landing gear is pretty solid and a nice thickness (2.5mm or about .10"). The 330 lands so nice and light that I wasn't really worried about the landing gear but quite pleased with how it turned out and how it is working.

Long story short..If you are looking for a top notch 3d foamy then the Telink Extra 330 "Extra Vaganza" is for you.
Last edited by KE Spin; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
Maiden complete. Wonderful flyer, really pleased.Using a 103 gram motor, Torque 2818-900, Airboss Elite 45 amp, 12x6 prop, HS-65 MG's all around, 1800 lipos, AUW came out to 28.3 oz's. With out not really knowing where CG would be I just cut a pocket for the lipo a little longer for adjustment, got lucky and hardly needed any adjustment. The back of the battery overlaps the wing by about 1/2 inch. KE's are handsoff, KE spins are tight and doable, just have to get used to doing them on this plane and I did'nt really stress it because I did'nt have the batts velcroed in. Hovers are easy. I'm surprized my attempts at rolling harriers worked out as well as they did, but they did.Upright harriers were surprizingly very stable, hardly any wingrock which I'm extremely happy about. I hate upright wingrock on a plane, just me. I don't know if aileron differential can be programmed via the radio but for now I will try KE Spins suggestion and decrease the doownward aileron flap by 10% to make rolls more axial, they aren't bad but would like to see that improvement. really happy with it though..
Last edited by stevelmaa; Aug 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
I would love to see Ido, on his next release, do an Edge. Extreme Flight makes a 48" Edge that is often termed as the plane to learn 3D on. It is so stable and forgiving. Could you imagine a 48" Edge in EPP designed by Ido? The forgiving nature of the Edge and made out of EPP, basically indestuctable, perfect for people , like me, who are advancing in 3D, or trying anyway, LOL. Anyway, had to say this, I want an Edge now, made like this Extra, if it flies anything like the Extravanza it would be another winner.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Steve,

Congrats on your maiden. Sounds like things went very well. Yes, an Edge sounds very interesting.

I'm headed to the field in few minutes for some flying and hopefully a video.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Flight Reports....

Nice to hear all the flight reports coming in.. took mine out this morning as well... a pleasure to fly, very predictable yet quick on the sticks. Put the SFGs on before going out today, definitely like them... Decided to attach them with Hot Glue, so that if ever wanting to remove them, the glue could be released with alcohol.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:51 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
I also put the SFG's on. Did'nt try them without but am really pleased with the plane as it is,.