Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
Discussion
Twisted Hobbys - TELINK 48" EPP Extra 330 SC

GENERAL INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------------

Twisted Hobbys and Telink have done it again...!!

Twisted Hobbys / TELINK 48" Extra 330 SC
aka "ExtraVaganza"
Official Build and Discussion Thread

NOW IN STOCK!!

ORDERING INFORMATION
Yellow Airframe: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Telink-...0sc-Yellow.htm
Red Airframe: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Telink-...-330SC-Red.htm
Complete Power Set Bundle - http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Power-C...-Telink-48.htm

The first 4 posts in this thread will be reserved for "General Information", "Building" and "Flying / Misc" . In the beginning there well be new content on a very regular basis, so please keep checking back to these posts. If there are any questions, comments, pictures, etc etc that you want to share in regard to your ExtraVaganza please post them here for all to see. I will also be available via PM if there are any questions or comments that you would like to keep private.

The Builder
I have been infected by the Foamies!
Been kicking around the R/C world for some time, since before there were ARF's..! It would take all winter to build a plane and then only about 2 minutes at the field to return it to it's original state of tiny balsa wood pieces! Helicopters were a passion for quite a while and enjoyed the privilege of being a Field Rep for one the domestic brands for a couple years. Next was competitive On Road R/C Car Racing... wow... that was a rush, I had no idea that something two dimensional would be so complicated! None the less I enjoyed it, and actually began to design, build and sell upgrade parts, the height of which was a complete chassis design that placed 3rd at an International race it's first time out.

One day after becoming frustrated over a problem I was chasing in one of my big electric helis... I started poking around on the internet for something that was not going to cost $300 or $400 every time I turned around (or crashed). In a word TWISTED HOBBYS... in my search for simple, one stop shopping of something that was inexpensive that I could fly and the local park.... TWISTED HOBBYS. At the time all I saw was exactly what I was looking for, a great way to enjoy the R/C hobby with out have to take out a second mortgage. There were complete plane kits, power combos, recommended servo sets, videos and more.... not knowing anything about foamies I emailed sales@twistedhobbys.com with some questions, literally, within minutes I had a response!! By the end of the evening I had a Vector and all the necessary gear on the way... and so it began! Recently I was invited to join the Twisted Hobbys Team, of which I graciously accepted. It is an honor to be part of all this and am looking forward to complementing the Twisted Team.

ExtraVaganza
You gotta say it a couple times and then it starts to roll off you tounge. We can call it what ever you want here in the thread, let me know what you all like, I was calling a "330" for a little while, but seriously, when I opened the box... ExtraVaganza! If you have watched the Video below you know a little of the back story from Ido. I have had some questions for Ido via PM and other threads, he is always available, so do not hesitate to direct questions directly to him if you want, it is after all his design.

The other player in all this is of course Brad of Twisted Hobbys. Those of you whom have been "infected" (such as myself) know that his customer service is second to none! Makes the Hobby so much more enjoyable. The icing on the cake is that his products are actually raising the standards in many aspects of this part of the R/C hobby, we are all benifiting from that!

The ExtraVaganza (is the name in your head yet?) is being billed as model ideal for 3D Flying, Aerobatics flown to music (I do fly with Slacker Radio in the headphones sometimes), a 3D Trainer and of course a General Stunt Flier suited for the neighborhood park. It is a48" Wingspan model, so it's pretty big, there will be a version coming out with detachable wings for those that need to break the plane down for transport.

THE BUILD
This build is going to be of the Yellow Version. From watching the threads it would seem that there are lots interested in the Red as well, but I have to say the yellow is going to look like a party in the sky. I also have a 3D Buster, which is kinda the same "party" of colors and it looks great in the air. If any of you have followed my posts and been on my blog you know that I am always looking for some little thing to do different or make better. For this build I will only be using the items in the kit and following Telinks build instructions. Long story short it will be a box stock build, part of the reason for this is that these first posts will be the foundation of a Twisted Hobbys' Manual. I am not wanting to discourage any experimentation, but instead am just looking to establish a baseline. I am sure that once completed with this part of the project I will dabble with alterations myself.

BUILD COMMENTS

of interest
There are a couple things to note with the first release of kits. It is my understanding that this items have been corrected
1.) The kit was half a fiber hinge short. Solution: for the hinge stiffening use of the fiber hinges, cut into 3 pieces instead of two. Or you could use one you had laying around.
2.) The Top Nose piece is not shown in the directions. Soluion: added graphic to the manaul
3.) Slot for the Elevator Joiner does not provide adequeate clearance. Solution: User to test fit and enlarge as necessary.

I am impressed with the kit. It is of typical TELINK high quality, and includes all the necessary hardware. The "fitment" (is that a word?) of the parts is very nice and, as well in the TELINK tradition, the printed graphics are bright and bold, and will look great in the air.

more to follow...
cdee

Intro video from Ido.. this is good!
TELINK new "ExtraVaganza" (7 min 22 sec)
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 26, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
The Build
-----------------------------------------------------------

This will be a "Welders" build. In nearly all instances Welders ( http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Welder-...oz-WELDERS.htm ) contact glue will be used. In cases where there is no "sliding" needed in order to assemble the two parts, the lay down a bead, spread, let tack up and join method will be used. In these cases a thin coating of Welder so be on both surfaces and once assembled the joint in nearly full strength at the time of contact. In the case of needing to "slide" the parts together, this will be done wet, and the glue joint will dry after assembly. With this method you have several minutes to make your adjustments if necessary. When you order your kit, get two or three tubes.

Complete Power Set from Twisted Hobbys will be used for this Build.
78g motor and 1600 3s lipo is where I will start.
I will also test and try the other end of the spectrum... 2200 3s and 100g motor.

Power Set used in this build includes:
Motor - 78g 1100KV
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Outrunn...78g-1100kv.htm
ESC - 45A Twisted Hobbys Series *New Upgrade* http://www.twistedhobbys.com/ESC-Twi...ESC-TH-45A.htm
Servos - (4) Metal Gear MG65 14G Servos http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Servo-T...Servo-MG65.htm
Prop - 11x5.5 Thin Electric Prop (similar to APC style)

Power Set Bundle - http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Power-C...-Telink-48.htm)

For those interested there is also a Programing card for ESC: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/ESC-Twi...rogramCard.htm

These Power Sets now include a new Twisted Hobbys Brand ESC and Servos. I have this same ESC in my new 1.2m Sbach, it is really nice, the servos I have not flown yet, but they look well made and robust.

NOTE: The ESC's have to be initialize. If you don't do this process the motor will not run. To view the video go to the ESC page of the Twisted Hobbys' website and you well see it.

more to follow, but I am sure you all are wanting to see some pics... so here it is..... ExtraVaganza!
Last edited by cdee; Aug 30, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
Upgrades - Mods and other INFO

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=595
Last edited by cdee; Feb 19, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
Flying and Other Stuff

Rock and Roll....!!!!

Maiden is done!! Ten packs on the ExtraVaganza!! Great Flying Plane, just needed a couple clicks of Aileron, probably because I have my battery off to the side, will adjust for lateral balance before I go out in the morning, every thing else was right on. Fiddled around a little with the CG, found a pretty good spot, will measure and post a little later, might try and move it back a little more tomorrow.

This is not a floatie plane. I believe that Ido's intent was for something that flies more like balsa... Bingo!! Flies really nice when you stay in and work the throttle a little more than the lower wing loaded planes.

Harriers are awesome, a little bit of wing rock, at lower throttle, but it you work it you can make them nice and smooth. Right side up and Inverted, very nice! At one point I was in the middle of a 15 or 20 ft inverted tail drag and gave it up thinking that I was not going to be able to push though it, but just as I decided to give it up I realized I could probably have pulled it off, I think there is video footage of that!! Got grass stains on the top of the nose... went in several times while trying to get lower and lower while inverted, no damage at all, held up beautifully. Gotta love EPP and the sturdy Telink construction!

Hovers very nice, right now I have a neutral thrust line, may experiment a little with this in the morning as well to see if I can get it to lock while hovering.

Knife Edge was not a problem a tiny bit of coupling but very manageable.

Rollers were easy, not difficult at all to keep the nose up. Excellent Roll Rate.

Side Force Generators work very nicely, they help in all the obvious ways, mount them with low temp Hot Glue in case you every want to go back to naked.

First couple packs were with the recommended 11x5.5e prop, after about 4 packs with that prop, I also tried a 11x4.7sf prop, which also worked well. I will try other props with time.
Enjoy the Video
Telink 48" ExtraVaganza (2 min 7 sec)

some stills out of the raw video
Last edited by cdee; Aug 26, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Eagerly watching you are a great person to do the build thread.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Sub'd and waiting for pics!
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Eagerly watching you are a great person to do the build thread.
Thank you very much!!

Over the course of the next three days... things are going to change a lot here in these first four posts... please feel free to ask questions, etc, I want this to be good for everyone!
cdee
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:49 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyboy1 View Post
Sub'd and waiting for pics!
Got some coming of the build a little later tonight!

I am really looking forward to getting this one in the air... !!
cdee
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
sweet
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:38 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Joining this thread. Not that my wife really wants me to get a 48in plane but hey gotta do it at some point. Can't wait for this build.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Joining this thread. Not that my wife really wants me to get a 48in plane but hey gotta do it at some point. Can't wait for this build.
48" is a little big, but still made from EPP, the build thread will be based on the "Yellow" Fixed Wing Version. There is of course a Red one available, but in addition to that a version with Removable Wings is also coming out.
cdee
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
sweet
INDEED!! Wait til you see the pics!!
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 16, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Now removable wings I might be able to get away with. Lol. Just might have to wait for that version.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,705 Posts
Sub'd
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,543 Posts