Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Discussion
RCTimer 40A simonk flashed ESC

Hello, recently someone on here posted something about a "design flaw" with these ESCs. I just purchased some for my copter! DOH!

Anyone have any insight. What is the issue, and what does that mean practically. I want to put this on a copter carrying an Nex5 and want it to be safe (within reason of course, as safe as any copter can be.)

Thanks!
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2011
504 Posts
I've also bought some. It was timecop who basically said the hardware was suboptimal and therefore the flashed SimonK esc's won't be as good as flashed HobbyKing F40A. I don't think he meant "design flaw" actually, just that hardware is the same old "crap" just like most all esc's - not made for multicopters. He was also upset that RCtimer doesn't pay any royalities to SimonK. I plan to use mine and see how they work for me. Some esc's that I think work great have been called "crap' by timecop.

Russ
rampa202 is offline Find More Posts by rampa202
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
That is the only post I recall reading to make menion of it as well, anything that isn't a exact spec or certain design often gets labelled as "crap" by some, need to take things with a bag a salt sometimes. The F-30A, F-40A HK ones are better in general but hard to get at times, the RCTimer ones are like many of the other ESCs being used.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
812 Posts
i am waiting for 3 30 amps from rctimer to get past the new york p o. they got there the 2nd and there they sit......still. if you feel bad about simonk there is nothing stopping you from paypaling some funds yourself. i just ordered these to see what the fuss is all about. i wish someone would make a plug and play tool to flash the blue ones from hobby king.
hallstudio is offline Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
So, would it be safe to say if they work for a few flights, they'll probably work? I've got some T-Motor 4008-12 600kv motors that are rated at 30amps max. So I'm hoping the 40A RCTimer ESCs will do. I guess I'll try it out and see. Would just hate for one to burn out on me mid-flight.

I've been using some Turnigy 80A Plush ESCs and they've been work horses - but heavy. Wanted to try the simonk code as well.

How would you say the hardware compares to Turnigy Plush ESCs? I've been using those on several copters for a while and haven't had any issues.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
I would not use those on pancake motors. there is a separate firmware for pancake motors as there seem to be issues with motor timing with stock simonK firmware. (you can reflash them)
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
I don't think they are going to be any more prone to burn out than the HK ESCs, the main diff is the FETs are less efficient and they are more prone to temerature drift. I suspect failure rate would be similar across many of the budget ESCs.

And as noted by askman "some" pancake motors have issues with the SimonK firmware.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Ah man, it gets even worse for me. Maybe I'll just put them on my rcexplorer's tri that has 2213N motors. It's a shame, I was hoping to use them on my AV copter.

If I do try them on my 4008s, what would I look for to tell its having timing issues?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
cogging, squeeling , could stall. nothing good.

http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/11...-esc-rapidesc/

this thread has video of incompatible esc/pancakes.
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
not suggested..
1. they does not seem to have commission with simonk.. which means they take simon's fw and do not donate for his contribution (and frequent fw update)>> not good for supporting simon to develop awesome fw

2. rct esc do not have external oscillator... which means at higher temp.. there will be drift..and that is not good...

3. it cost like double of the ones from hk(w/ external oscillator).. and you can totally DIY the fw flashing process. and donate the saved money to simon for his great work

but anyways.. the most important part is the first point i said above
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Ok, so I'm using these motors, the t-motor 4008, 600kv still with the original turnigy plush 80amp esc's I had on the copter. One of the motors stops spinning and squeals, right when I get to "light on the skids" throttle. The others seems ok. I did one hover initially about 4ft off the ground for a few seconds, landed to adjust some PIDs and now it's doing this.

I've got 13x4 carbon fiber props on the motors, so I don't think it's over prop'ed. I've never adjusted the timing on the esc's, should I try high or low timing?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:41 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
if they are on low then set all of them to medium timing. If they are on medium already set all to high. On high they run warmer but produce the most power. You may have a problem also with just that one.
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Read the manual and the default is low. Changed them all to medium and the problem seems to have gone away. Put a whole battery through it and no sign of motors stopping or squealing. Thanks for your help guys!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I would suspect 40A rctimers are all-nfet and gate drivers, so the only question is whether it has a crystal or not, but its certainly better than the 30/20A versions.

However, F40A is good up to 6S:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_4A_UBEC.html
While SK40A is only good for 4S:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

Says tgy.hex though, and I don't think any tgy targets ever had a crystal...
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
123 Posts
Here is a short test of pancake MT4008 + RCTimer 40A simonK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbHG71Ae2yo

What do you think?
StormRU is offline Find More Posts by StormRU