SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,375 Posts
Packard judging from what I can see, the only spars in question, would be the front two top and bottom spars!

sanding those too follow the shape of the center section, shouldn't weeken the assembly once sheeted across!

the rear spars should go quitely into the center section!

keep up the good work!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Got upper right panel about ready for LE sheeting. I made the wing jig according to the suggested shimming at front spar jigging strip (sometimes refered to as "slips" in the intructions). This was packed up at root by 2.5mm and nailed down to building surface at rib#3. Jig strip takes natural upward curve between. However Instead of planing a striaght taper at rear slip, as suggested, I took 2.5mm off the bottom of the strip, back to #3, which was again nailed down to building board, the root end was also naild down producing similar natural curve downward. Worked very well. Rib #2 didnt rock nor was it up in the air at either slip. Wing mount tubes slid into place and everything was straight./parallel with build surface. While the sheeting dries, later today, I'll work on the aileron.

Another issue I'm working on is that when sheeting the under sides, the instructions say to fit the right wing inverted over the left hand building jig (and visa versa). Question is, where to set up that jig? Table I built will not fit second panel. Other work surfaces in my shop are not flat/true. I simply turned the wing over when building the lowers. I'm thinking perhaps I can adapt a quick jig addition at tip end? A quick doodle says it should and I believe it will work good enough to sheet opposite side while keeping everthing straight. I'll let you know.

BTW, on lowers I noted that adding first side LE sheeting, must induce a bit of internal stress (I'm thinking it comes from wrapping that curved portion at the tip?) It's enough to make the the wing wobble about 2-mm in the jig. At first i thought it was my table but checked. It was twist in the wing and the only thing different was the upper surface sheeting. After weighting everything down inverted into the jig, adding lower LE sheeting and letting it dry the wing fit the jigs without a wobble, when turned back upright.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
You're right about the induced stresses with the folded LE sheeting...I usually spray windex on the sheeted wing before covering....Get it pretty damp,but not necessarily wet,both sides... When it dries most of the stress will be gone.Just block it down level,and let it dry.

With the cabanes and the interplane struts and wires,you can 'rig' it straight with no problem.

Flying and landing wires don't need to be drum tight- just snug..They'll catch any high "G" movement, and subdue it.I kept breaking wires on my 1/3 scale Eagle,until I relaxed some tension on them.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Went shooting yesterday morning, but spent a long afternoon getting rt wing ready for sheeting. About ready to go down now. Plan is to have Lt wing on the board first thing tommorrow.

OBTW- I usually wet one side of the sheet, letting it soak in before attaching . Wood swells outer side, inducing a curl. After several minutes, apply aliphatic to the spar, ribs and false LE and position the preformed sheeting. Then fix in place until everything dries. The stress I note seems to be induced when I work full length sheeting down around slight compound curve at tip and onto the bow. I do pre fit and trim tip before wetting.
Last edited by packardpursuit; Nov 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
Gotcha'!-those compound curves will bite you every time..I understand where you're coming from now.

Somebody built 1" scale models a millenium ago,it seems,with moulded fuselage sides (Strombecker?) I remember a F-86 and maybe a P-47?

I would have loved to have seen how they did that.Beautiful wood,and strong hollow fuselages.The F-86 used an .049 with a metal impellor as a ducted fan.

Can anyone help with information ?

Meanwhile,back at the Eagle ranch..........
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Earl
TopFlight had a 1/16 scale P-40F and a 1/12 scale P-51D (both CL) in the late 60's with preformed molded balsa fuselage halves. Over on Hip Pockets Scale Freeflight forum, there is a fellow molding small rubber scale Bf 109 similarly , although he is using CA as part of his finish. Very interesting. Years ago, I tried it with limited success over balsa masters, so it does work. Foam availability would allow LARGER efforts today without too much time and $ investment.
Are your "wheels turning"? Mine are!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Started left upper panel yesterday. I had cut out all remaiing parts when I was cutting for Rt. panel. So started cleaning them up. Decided to assemble as much as possible BEFORE fixing on jig. Worked qute well, Got the panel framed in less than a day. Just about ready for LE sheeting, once I sand down the high spots. Last thing I did this evening was to bolt up the flying wire attach fitting.

I decided that I wasn't going to change the jig for the left panel/. I decide just to build it upside down on the existing rt hand jig. Before I go to sheeting anything on the left, I plugged the upside down rt into the inverted Lt, while later is still attached to table. I figgered that that if it matched up without any difficulties i wasgod to go. It matched, whew! It would seem my slightly modified jig builds true!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Have pulled final wing assembly of the jig and set aside for the glue to dry on th eLE pieces. It's 6mm x 25mm (1/4"x1") and some of the best looking contest grade C grain balsa I've ever seen! Real FF wood!

Have started adding cap strips to lower left and doing all the pick-up work I missed before. Biggest headache will be drilling the strut attach bocks .Will need a drill press for that.

Gotta say that going with a scale width cap strips, (6mm) vs the kit suplied (16mm) looks more "aircraft" than model. I did install internal drag bracing to compensate for loss of shear imparted by the wider caps. I'll get some photos posted as soon as I pull the pins out.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Joined the upper wing halves to check match-up last nite. Some minor saniding should set things right. Hardest part seems to be getting the ply root ribs to match perfectly. I've got som wiggle room in the sanding. will temp glue the loose root end to the other, which is already set to other panel. then will bring the two back to gether and carefull glue that one to the newer panel.

I owe some photos and will have them this evening.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Here are promised photos. Will attept to mount all surfaces tomorrow for measurement of flying wires. Then finish ailerons for uppers, shape all wing tips and cap ribs on the upper. Go over with semi-final sanding, sand and it's off to the customer. I will be covering the model in the owner's shop, in a couple of weeks(?).

Top wing shows mating of the two halves for match sanding. came out within 1/64. I am very pleased with my single wing jig now!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:28 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,375 Posts
very nice packerd!

she is turning out sweet! can't wait to see her assembled!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
The Eagle left for points South this afternoon. I got some pix with the upper wing partialialy fitted, before it was loaded up. Gotta say I'm truly disapointed with Exclusiv-Modelbau's overall effort. This one will look allright when its finished but the engineering of this kit hit an all time low for me today, when I found the hole drilled in the pre-assembled and drilled welded steel cabain trestle is OFF BY off 3/8"!!!! A $2,000.00 (US) kit with computer routed wood parts that don't fit and now this?? What a load of crap. All the good balsa in the world won't make up for this goof. It is fixable, but why did it even come up? Material will have to be welded on as the metal center rib needs a hole where there is absalutely no material to drill a hole thru. Did I mention there is nothing in the bad joke they call "instructions" about a different trestle for the orther two aircxraft this kit apparently builds into?. Nor is there any mention of the two different supplied trestle jigs from 3mm ply upon or any indication as to which one to use ! I believe I mentioned earlier that neither supplied jig fit the trestle that came with the kit. I chose the one that came closest to fitting, so it must be my fault.

It's probably a good thing it doesn't make me mad.

I'll be going down in a few days to finish it up, cover and coat of white. I'll be glad when it is over.

Sorry I didn't get a shot of the missed joiner hole but we were loading it up. More photos to follow .
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
I'm with you on quality-Manufacturers just can't seem to get it together.There will be ONE thing that sets a new standard,then by gosh they'll offset it with what can only be considered as a totally STUPID move !
I've been in contact with another manufacturer,and their mind is so closed,they won't even consider listening to a valid sales pitch.
It's too bad you had these problems,-it certainly takes some of the joy out of building...It's frustrating.
But you done good,despite it.I've enjoyed the ride.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Think I'm going to stick to building from plans and or original designs after this one.

Glenn, the customers rep , who picked up the model in the company truck, flies an R/c Cub.. We got to talking and I said I might be tempted to build a 50% scale glider. He offered a tow plane. Think it has enough power?

Glenn's 50% cub maiden flight (5 min 30 sec)
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:21 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,482 Posts
Here are last shots of Eagle in my garage . A minute later it was in the trailer and gone.