Old Nov 21, 2003, 05:19 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,399 Posts
GWS P-51 Maiden Flight/Report

Plane: GWS P-51D
Gear: EPS 350c, ICS300, GWS 8.4 730 AAA Battery, 6 gram servos from FoamFly.com

Well, The winds died down here in Satellite Beach, FL so I set out to give this beauty a whirl. Nerves and fear rolled through my body as I set out to ROG the P-51. I have heard many horror stories about Mustang maiden flights, and I also had a very bad experience getting my GWS Zero right.

Before I flew, I took many pieces of advice from different forums. The main one was to be careful of GWS Warbird's tendancies to be tail heavy, so I added a 1.75 oz Army coin from my military days to the inside of the cowling/nose right under the motor.

Anyway, my wife walked up to the site with our dog and asked, did you ever fly this one before? I don't recognize it. I said no, this is the first time then hit the throttle and up it went. What a beauty! It flew like I had been flying it for months. It took off only after a few feet. It was quite windy, but the wind did not have much effect on it like it does my Zero. Maybe it handles the wind better because of the added weight.

I thought the flying characteristics would be similar to the Zero, but this is not the case. The P-51 rolls a lot easier, but can not handle loops as well. Again I think maybe because of the added weight. Inverted flight was more stable and flying overall was stable compared to the Zero. I think I found my fun plane for higher winds!

I am not recommending this plane over the other warbirds. It just has different characteristics. I like the stable feeling of the P-51, but I missed the cool zippy attitude of the Zero. Although, the rolls look much cooler on the P-51, more realistic.

I don't want to sound like an ad, but I have to hand it to GWS they make a great plane. I look foward to many more flights with their planes. Videos will be posted soon.

http://www.hapdigital.com/FBII.htm

WB
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Last edited by Wingbreaker; Nov 21, 2003 at 11:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2003, 06:54 PM
Crasherof all things foam
Indiana..near KY..YUK!!
Joined Nov 2003
262 Posts
Great WB...glad that your maiden flight went well....

Can't wait to fly mine...
Dog1 is offline Find More Posts by Dog1
Old Nov 22, 2003, 09:23 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,399 Posts
Videos of new P-51 are now posted on my site.

http://www.hapdigital.com/FBII.htm

WB
Old Nov 22, 2003, 01:13 PM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
GREAT! i am so glad you had a successful maiden! I have been long considering buying a p-51 because it is the fastest gws warbird, but have ever been worried about the dreaded tipstall. It is good to know that someone managed to fly it first time and not crash
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Nov 22, 2003, 01:20 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,399 Posts
Well, I did not need the added weight up front after all. It seemed kind of nose heavy, so I took a lot of the weight off of the nose. I think the p-51 is one of the easier ones to set up. I can now do loops a little easier since I took off the weight.

WB