HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,925 Posts
Discussion
Continued fun with electrics

There is certainly nothing like the sounds, smells and sights of a nitro engine. I remember the first time I flew nitro in a .25 combat plane and from there, I was hooked.

However, I also have a newfound love of modern electrics.

Charge up, plug in and fly. This is especially helpful at one of the places where I fly. That field allows anything and everything electric, but no nitros. My guess is the noise level given the field's proximity to a housing tract.

I can fly anything at that grass field from a simple park flyer up to a high-performance FunJET or 450-class helicopter and not have to mess with pumping in fuel, hooking up the ignitor, starting the engine and tweaking the needle, fun as those tasks may be.

Problem is, all my nitros now need receiver batteries due to lack of use!

On top of that, I don't know what kind of condition my fuel is in.

No matter. As cool as the new electrics are, the nitro birds are going to get some receiver batteries one at a time, starting with my Great Planes Spitfire .25 and going from there. On top of that, I have two nearly completed nitro projects in the wings (no pun intended) and I picked up a good used K&B .45 for a third project simply in need of a new engine. Got that engine from the same fellow I got the project from in the first place and it's one of the sweetest flying birds of any kind in my "hangar."

One thing is for sure: I won't be wiping castor oil off of the FunJET anytime soon.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Aug 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts