HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:15 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Super cracking job, you really cranked that build right out! A tick over 2m length. Did you keep the same amount of dihedral the plans called for?
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Curious what the AUW is with battery.
Can't wait to hear how your maiden flight goes, please post up photos and or video.
What location in the world will you be in the flying and what type; slope, aerotow winch launch?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
http://www.vortex-vacforms.co.uk/ may have a 'stock' canopy that fits your model when cut down/modified - just send him an email with a top view and side elevation drawing and dimensions on it. he had for mine and others i have made from scratch.
I haven't checked the weight as if it flys and slopesoars or thermals from a flat field site if aerotowed then fine. Pic herewith of the elevator,rudder and aero tow servos. pilots are genrally the chopped off heads of little football figures which are about 1/6th scale and cost a couple of quid/ponds.
Have made other gliders to about same 1/6th scale , generally same form of construction includinga Bocian, Blanik, Slingsby T21b,Olympia 2b, Slingsby Swallow, Slingsby Skylark 2, Ka 6cr.See pics. Fly north east of England.
papaalpha is offline Find More Posts by papaalpha
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:39 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaalpha View Post
http://www.vortex-vacforms.co.uk/ may have a 'stock' canopy that fits your model when cut down/modified - just send him an email with a top view and side elevation drawing and dimensions on it. he had for mine and others i have made from scratch.
I haven't checked the weight as if it flys and slopesoars or thermals from a flat field site if aerotowed then fine. Pic herewith of the elevator,rudder and aero tow servos. pilots are genrally the chopped off heads of little football figures which are about 1/6th scale and cost a couple of quid/ponds.
Have made other gliders to about same 1/6th scale , generally same form of construction includinga Bocian, Blanik, Slingsby T21b,Olympia 2b, Slingsby Swallow, Slingsby Skylark 2, Ka 6cr.See pics. Fly north east of England.
Oh my, these are stellar gorgeous. You should join us over on rcaerotowing.com and show your work, brilliant! This has inspired me to build more, now i have to hurry up and get my K13 finished. Thank you, Thompson
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:32 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Subscribed!

I haven't been perusing the scale section lately due to getting sidetracked. Exceptional job Studio RS!!

The K-13 is my favorite too. Notice my avatar.

I've got a 1/3 Rosenthal that I piled in about 3 years ago. Just got back from the Huntsville aerotow and got stoked to get it back together. Went to the scale section and lo and behold, here you are with a build log. I had a laser cut 1/4 scale K-13 kit that I got from Len Buffington and like a fool I let it go.

Can't wait to see your's fly.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:03 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Subscribed!

I haven't been perusing the scale section lately due to getting sidetracked. Exceptional job Studio RS!!

The K-13 is my favorite too. Notice my avatar.

I've got a 1/3 Rosenthal that I piled in about 3 years ago. Just got back from the Huntsville aerotow and got stoked to get it back together. Went to the scale section and lo and behold, here you are with a build log. I had a laser cut 1/4 scale K-13 kit that I got from Len Buffington and like a fool I let it go.

Can't wait to see your's fly.
Thanks, yes I need to update my build log here with new photos. I just started one wing this week and it's coming along nicely. I have the same build over on rcaerotowing.com and will keep both up to date. This is my first ever scratch build and poking along taking my time, glad you like it, the K-13 is stellar.

Post up photos of the Huntsville event here and over on rcaerotowing.com, would love to see them.

I plan to have a short kit available of this 1,6m and also already have a 2,0m version laser cut, just waiting to be built. Working on adjusting the plans for a 4,0m too. That's Kewl you still have your 1/3 scale Rosenthal K-13, I'm sure it can be repaired and just needs some time with it. Make a thread on RCAT and Len will post in and offer help I'm sure. Cheers, Thompson
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:02 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
More progress, started on the left wing.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2007
62 Posts
Nice

A good job.

Congratulations.
aurectar is offline Find More Posts by aurectar
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:40 AM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
Looks great. I may be interested in this short kit later.
Fotor is offline Find More Posts by Fotor
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:28 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,769 Posts
Me too!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:06 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurectar View Post
A good job.

Congratulations.
Thank you for the kudos! My very first scratch build. I'm sure future builds will go faster. I'll have a tough time trying to beat four weeks though!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:12 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
@Fotor, dion9146 - yes short kits will be available through http://www.marcslasershop.com

ASK-13 in these sizes and scales, include Sitka Spruce spar wood and all with a new building jig for upright assembly!
1,6m (1/10 scale)
2,0m (1/8 scale)

Drawings in progress for...
4,0m (with modified wing profile, more undercamber, upgraded wood specs)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
To get hours and hours of flying experience of how a glider model should behave with a minimum of build time (5 evenings) buy and build a Westwings Skylark 1 kit which is cheap and a beautiful 'scratcher' in the lightest of winds/4 or 5mph. Pro rata the span as for a Singsby Skylark 2,adding about 4inches to the span and build a scale fuselage and the result is even better. The model equally aerotows as if on rails and modify the fuselage of the kit or build another fuselage for an electric version which still scratches nearly as well as a pure glider version. The wing is exceptionally tough albeit very light and fuselage damage easily repairable.
papaalpha is offline Find More Posts by papaalpha