HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotor View Post
Wow, that would be a bit too much for me. We had much darker purple on the 383, and only the wing tips and nose were purple, the rest was white (with an occasional striping).
Yes, too much purple, very loud. Good photo for rear tail reference shapes, alignment.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
I'm waiting for more parts. Hinges, control horns, servos, more UHU Hart. So, while I'm at a stopping point with the rudder, I thought about how to make the rear top fuselage work. Soaked a 4" x 20" peice of 1/16" balsa with water on both sides and taped it to a PVC and wooden handle to get the curve correct. I'm letting it dry taped up overnight, should mount fine unstressed on the fuselage. The only thing I noticed was the balsa I used had a grain strand in it that was noticeable harder than the rest when wet. Oh well, I'll see how it turns out.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Received some more parts.
- HS-82MG servo
- HS-81 servos
- 2000mAh 4.8v Rx battery (weight: 122g)
- Multiplex Cularis "Schleppkupplung f. Segler" (aero-tow unit)
- .047 wire, .032 wire
- Hinges, control arms

For this little baby ASK-13, the servos seems HUGE, the Schleppkupplung is gargantuan and the battery pack seems like a lead weight, OMG I'm building a monster! Although, all of these parts ARE considered micro for most builds I might need to reconfigure to lighter components.

Schleppkupplung
Ok, first up making the Schleppkupplung smaller was an easy one. Dig into the parts bin and locate some parts...
- Smaller dia. carbon fiber wrapped aluminum 6.75mm dia OD arrow shaft (yes a fishing line will still fit in)
- Sullivan goldenrod pushrod with .047 wire
- Some old school Tamiya brass shock mount bushings, these fit directly inside the arrow shaft!
- Flat piece of steel from when you replace windshield wipers, Bosch type. This inserts into each side of the rubber blade.
I plan to cut a slit into one end of the carbon/aluminum shaft section to fit a small piece of the wiper steel. Glue in with UHU Hart or CA.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Scratch the idea of cutting a slit into the Schleppkupplung and gluing in a small section of metal strip, this obviously will pull out on the full weight of the sailplane. I drilled a hole through the carbon / aluminum arrow shaft on either side and glued in with UHU Hart a small piece of .047 wire instead. Also drilled a small vent hole in the middle to let the glue vent to dry.

- Removed the 1/16" ply floor board as this sits too high for HS-81 servos.
- Cut down and re-glued the new narrower floor board into the bottom as shown.
- Cut off the tops of F2, F3 for better access, still fine with strength.
- Added the rudder control horn from the inside before sheeting the rest.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Spent a ton-of-time dialing in the CAD plans, yeah I know, should be out flying...

- Fixing the wing ribs has taken considerably longer than I thought, yowzers. Root R1-R5 6mm carbon fibre tubing support holes were misaligned and all the ribs from R6-R27 needed to be stepped for sheeting and spar notches added. I also added in the sheeting location for the Schemp-Hirth spoilers for that uber scale look even of they don't fit.

- R1-R5 wing ribs are specced for 1/8" Birch Ply, lightened up each with gusseting ala real AS K-13 photos.
AND if you notice carefully, I've added the AS K-13 logo to be scribed into R1 and the root that goes on the fuselage. Then, the logos will show while in the pits assembling. Pretty kewl huh?
Note: R1-R5 for 1:8 scale 2 meter I kept the same 6mm dim. for the carbon fibre wing supports.

- R6-R27 wing ribs also got the lighter is faster gusseted thinking, PLUS upgraded to basswood = lighter is now stronger!
Left the cap and trailing edge shapes on, planning to use Len B's method by inserting in between, then sheet with 1/16 balsa.

- Yes, everything has been made into .DXF files.

- I sent out for laser cutting both 1:10 scale (1,6 meter span) and 1:8 scale (2,0 meter span). These can be scaled up as needed, working my way up the scale ladder, 3 meter is next!

I hope someone takes advantage of my updates to the original Dutch plans. I'll update the original posting with these .DXF files.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
As you can see I've decided to take the plans all the way to laser cutting as I want to make another ASK-13, 2, 2.65 or 4 meter. I found out we have a fellow Vermonter RC hobbist, flyer artisan in our Green Mountain RC club that just purchased a new laser cutter and is chomping at the teeth to make aeroplanes, sailplanes and have this New England business happen. Well, this is the first really big project with many more to come I'm sure and it is a scale ASK-13 sailplane!

Success!!! We cut, we conquered, we smoked the shop out! Holymoly Batdog, that is one Kewl setup. It is so amazing that the files are sitting on the computer and you send it to the laser cutter, viola instant parts. Totally amazing.

We cut the whole 1,6m wing out and R1-R5 are 1/8"ply with the gussets, so absolutely light, super über strong and just plain trick. Wow. Then we swapped over to 1/16" basswood for the even smaller R5-R27 ribs, completely blown away at how small and the tolerances are so tight.

Marcs Laser Shop - ASK-13 1,6m sailplane (4 min 13 sec)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:39 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,800 Posts
Not sure why it's taken me so long for this build to catch my eye, but I like it!

Isn't laser cutting great? My first laser cut 'kit' was a Pat Tritle L-4, and I couldn't believe how amazing everything fit. Hand cutting parts for a scratch build is romantic, but my next scratch build is going to employ a laser.

The plane is looking great!

Dion
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146 View Post
Not sure why it's taken me so long for this build to catch my eye, but I like it!

Isn't laser cutting great? My first laser cut 'kit' was a Pat Tritle L-4, and I couldn't believe how amazing everything fit. Hand cutting parts for a scratch build is romantic, but my next scratch build is going to employ a laser.

The plane is looking great!

Dion
Thanks, yes the thread fell off the radar while I've been busy dialing in the CAD plans and getting the laser cut.

OMG, yes laser cutting! Truly amazing how accurate and detailed the cut wing ribs are. Marc at the laser shop is a great guy and is just starting up, he's eager to get cutting.

This is a really tiny baby ASK-13 sailplane and want to make it as deailed as I can and still be able to fly it. I'm looking forward to bigger builds of this plan too, 2m is next. This one will work out the bugs and refine the lighter=stronger process of materials and build techniques.

- Ordered 12"x24"x3/4" balsa building boards from towerhobbies, I'll just glue these together. I tried going to Lowe's and looking into ceiling tiles but, they want $40 for a case.... phht, no thanks.

- Also ordered an HS-65MG servo, thinking the HS-82MG might be a tick too big.

I removed all the wing ribs and shot some photos last night, will post up soon. I used my Olympus E-500 DSLR and vintage 50mm Zuiko lens, interesting bokah!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:49 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post

- Ordered 12"x24"x3/4" balsa building boards from towerhobbies, I'll just glue these together. I tried going to Lowe's and looking into ceiling tiles but, they want $40 for a case.... phht, no thanks.
!
You should have asked.....
What you want is Homasote board.... The 440 sound barrier stuff.....
http://www.homasote.com/WhereToBuy/Default.aspx

There's a place called Sticks & Stuff in St. Albans, VT that carries it....about $20 for a 4'x8' sheet.....
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16 View Post

There's a place called Sticks & Stuff in St. Albans, VT that carries it....about $20 for a 4'x8' sheet.....
Yep, that's the stuff! I mount it to a 3/4" piece of drywall so I can move let's say a wing around my shop on and off the bench if needed.
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:26 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16 View Post

Awesome, 4'x8' sheet will work great for my big builds coming up. Yes I should have asked first. I'll drop by Sticks and Stuff and pick some up, thank you!

I needed a building board that fits on my luan door workbench for this 1,4m build and the balsa seems like it will work. It's my first ever scratch build, gotta start small. I can always use the balsa to carve out canopy plugs later after I graduate to bigger sailplanes
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
[QUOTE=studioRS;22458995]Over the last two years I've flown and still learning on my epos; 2m Radian, ST Models DG-1000 & modded ASW28 in thermals and some very light ridge soaring off of tree tops, mostly fly from flat fields in Vermont. I like the idea of easy transportation and smaller size of 2 meters. I know 2m is not considered the best for sailplane size, but I began looking at the ASK13. This looks like something I could actual build with it's semi-square fuselage and maybe there are plans in 1:10 scale? Wow, so kewl, like an early Porsche 911s, this sailplane is the bees knees. Love the forward swept wings, stubby cockpit bubble nose and it has such a dedicated following.

(note: I recently built a small hand thrown 21" wing span DFS Reiher, think "chuck glider" but with my studioRS graphics twist, out of balsa and this got my teeth wet. Something about carving balsa, gluing it up, sanding, balancing it and covering with my graphics - chucking for a real flight was amazing - it flew!)

I'm hooked. I've decided to make my first scratch build "erstes bauen" on a 1:10 scale ASK13 - a trainer on a training mission. I found these ASK13 plans and build log. It doesn't look like he's posted photos of a finished sailplane yet, but looks good so far.

http://ask13.udjat.nl

First, start to buy the right tools and parts.

- Small scroll saw. Found one on craigslist but missed out on it. Darn, sometimes things happen for a reason. Asked a fellow buddy at the office the next day if he knew of a scroll saw for sale and viola - get this - he has a complete Craftsman minitool set Made In Germany in the back of his Range Rover Classic - OMG! What a find, he said I can borrow it for as long as I need (btw, sold here in NJ as MiniLux tools through MicroMark). I'm in heaven.

- Glue. Medium CA, check got some. Ambroid, check, got a tube although, I prefer German UHU Hart but, my tube is almost done, drats need more! Hmmm, Hobby-Lobby doesn't import anymore. Update: found it in Canada and just ordered last night from eurorailhobbies.com in British Columbia.

- Wood. Looking at National Balsa Sitka Spruce for the wing spars, good bad? I've already cut the wing loading fuselage bulkheads #4, #5 out of 3.1mm Birch ply and decided to cut the remaining ones out of 2.3mm Basswood - easy work for the minitool. Man I feel like a happy elf with that thing

Anywho, here are some initial photos and progress. Next step is to build the jig and get jiggy with it. MoF, I've never covered a sailplane with monokote! I do have so
papaalpha is offline Find More Posts by papaalpha
Last edited by papaalpha; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: selling
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:54 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
WOW that looks great! I'm pokey slow... Please post up detailed photos of your build process, looks fantastic!

Curious on how you made the canopy, pilots, radio install details, etc.

TIA, Thompson
Last edited by studioRS; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added notes
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Herewith
papaalpha is offline Find More Posts by papaalpha