HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:03 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
@SZD16 - Thanks for notes via PM.

I will be cutting the wing ribs by hand, no need for laser yet.

I've been fighting a head cold so not the best weekend. I did make it out to our FunFly that was filled with lots of wind (16-28mph w/40+ mph gusts!). I didn't fly my 2m epo's due to wing flex in that wind. Also, a special treat, a goody tent filled with NOS kits from the old NSP via a club member, from Sal (I'm in the dark brown t-shirt with Blue Vans, my Top Model sailplanes to left in brown boxes). What a treat, scored 2 Top Model sailplanes. Parada 2m and a Swish 1.48m, will post build threads on these. Really, really nicely built sailplanes, nice to be a local Vermonter. I've inquired about what inventory there is available on scale sailplanes (if any ~ I've heard lots), an NOS NSP 1/5 scale (118") SZD-55 would be the catsarse.

On with my little AS K-13 baby...

- Added remaining side sheeting with 1/16" balsa.
- Sanded the nose to a more refined look.
- Designed a new F14 peice for the proper nose profile, will make it easier to shape.
- Glued in F10 to the tail - KEEP IT STRAIGHT!
- Build up the front side of the rudder.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16 View Post
Pull-pull is way over kill for a plane this size......the 507 will be fine......better would be to replace the cable with a solid music wire......and one rod per function is fine.....I have a 40% that the rudder is driven by just one control rod. As far as servos go a HS-85 will be more then enough for both elevator and rudder.....you could even go smaller because at this size the forces on the control surfaces are not that large. As far as where to put the servos.....as far forward as possible......battery all the way forward, then servos, then receiver ...... You aren't planning to try and detail the interior are you? I would just put a bottom on the canopy tray and put some heads in it......
I'm looking at sourcing servos, HS-55 size (torque: 15.27 oz-in (1.1 kg-cm) seems like they might work for rudder, elevator and aerotow in nose. The 2m Multiplex Easy Glider Pro uses HS-81s (torque: 36.10 oz-in @ 4.8V (2.6 kg-cm).

Wings are a little different, they will need a super thin 8.5mm wide max servo. I know that most of you gurus build much larger sizes, this is a really small little AS K-13.

My plan is the following;

Fuselage
- HS-55 Rudder
- HS-55 Elevator
- HS-55 Multiplex aerotow release in nose.

Wings
- Hobby King 9103MG Metal Gear Servo Wing (torque @ 4.8V: 0.8kg-cm). The plans call for a Modelcraft ES-07 which is about the same specs and size as the HK 9103MG.

Am I on target with the HS-55s or should I get the HS-81s? Wings are super limited in size and not much choice. I think I'm going to build at least 1/8 or 1/5 scale from now on.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:54 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Also, will this battery work well? Looks like a good fit and recommended on the rcaerotowing article with the Multiplex aerotow nose piece. I'm used to having a Lipo to power a motor and Rx system!

Hobbico HydriMax NiMH 4C 4.8V 2000mAh Square AA Rx
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,788 Posts
Battery is fine.....I would lean towards the 81's over the 55's just because they are a bit more robust......which ever way you go be sure to use an 81 or better for the tow release.

Tom
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16 View Post
Battery is fine.....I would lean towards the 81's over the 55's just because they are a bit more robust......which ever way you go be sure to use an 81 or better for the tow release.

Tom
Thanks, good suggestions. I'll go with a metal gear HS-82MG for tow release.
Cheers, Thompson
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:07 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Onward with more notes and photos from the beginner scratch builder...

Built the rudder with adjustments to match factory AS K-13. Plan to keep this as light as possible and cover the leading edge and ribs edges with balsa and then monocoat.

The more photos I look at of real AS K-13's the more I like different painted schemes. I do like the Netherland registration that this kit was inspired from, but... I might switch to a German registration, still white and red
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
I do like the Netherland registration ....
If you like Dutch registrations ; I've been flying the PH-383 in the past, which was painted white with very nice dark purple tips and nose. No pictures left on my harddisc or on the web, but I could check my paper archives.
Fotor is offline Find More Posts by Fotor
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:35 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotor View Post
If you like Dutch registrations ; I've been flying the PH-383 in the past, which was painted white with very nice dark purple tips and nose. No pictures left on my harddisc or on the web, but I could check my paper archives.
Ok, you convinced me to stay with my original direction, thank you. Oops, yes of course, Dutch registration...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:54 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,788 Posts
Looking good! I forgot how small this project really is.......and then the picture with your hand......either it is small or you have HUGE hands!
As far as the release servo......you'll come to learn that the tow release needs to have the biggest strongest servo that you can fit....... You want it to release when you hit that switch.....and when it doesn't ......major pucker factor is induced!
Covering.......monocote is one of the heaviest plastic films out there.....look at the lightweight films instead......even though it is small the weight difference will matter.
Last edited by SZD16; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Speling is harrd!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:23 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Yeah definitely don't have huge hands. This ASK-13 is tiny compared to what you guys build. It is smaller than all my 2 meters, although the fuselage and rudder length are very close to my ASW-28. I decided to cover the rudder with balsa, just too thin after sanding and needed more structure. I did buy a roll of white econocoat and I think that is lighter?

Which brings me to another Q... Do i cover the fuselage with econocoat or glass it then paint? It will be used for slope soaring too. I was looking over at a forum in France, i think retroplane.com someone built a similar sized sailplane, same kind of build up with balsa and then covered the fuselage with super light weight fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. Looks like it came out very nice and flew well. I've covered my EPO foam sailplanes with cloth and medium CA (that took forever...) and they are strong and very lightweight. This works because the CA doesnt soak into the foam, only sticks to it and it soaks the cloth. With balsa, using CA might be different and soak in too much? I'm sure finishing epoxy resin thinned (with isopropyl alcohol) will should work with balsa better.

I will definitely use a metal geared servo for the tow release, I think the HS-82MG will be good. OMG, yes I could imagine hitting the gear switch.... Ruhro, why isn't it releasing !!! Getting ready to place an order this week for more parts before free shipping is over at Towerhobbies.

(I'm also trying to sell a new never used Futaba 7C 2.4gHz w/ extra Rx to switch over to the new Graupner mx-12 HOTT and stick a variometer/GPS on my sailplanes.)

I'm looking forward to building a larger sailplane in the future, this is just an initiation into the club
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:48 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,788 Posts
If your going to use glass.....go for 3/4 oz. glass and use water base polyurethane thinned out to apply it.....lighter then epoxy and strong enough. I started out in scale with 2 meter planes and then worked up to 1/4 then 1/3rd and currently 40%.......it's been a long fun journey and have enjoyed every model along the way!
Last edited by SZD16; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
This is the fiberglass cloth I have. Extremely lightweight, I've never seen anything so thin, yet strong. I'm going to go with epoxy finishing resin and thin it out a little with isopropyl alcohol.

Glass Fiber Cloth 450x1000mm 18g/m2 (Super Thin)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10905

Reviewing more AS K-13 photos, I've been studying every detail I see, the sides of the rudder are angled at the bottom section and slightly angled up top too. I'll have to re-sand and adjust the top front. Some adjustment will be needed on the rear fuselage section. Planning to add a rear tail wheel too!

Good idea to start a scale documentation details thread for the AS K-13 over on rcaerotowing? I've found so many photos.

I bet I could install the rudder control arm from the inside before I add the balsa over. Hmm, nice and somewhat concealed. Better than having a square piece of plastic and two screws showing.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Good idea to start a scale documentation details thread for the AS K-13 over on rcaerotowing? I've found so many photos.

I bet I could install the rudder control arm from the inside before I add the balsa over. Hmm, nice and somewhat concealed. Better than having a square piece of plastic and two screws showing.
Yes and yes!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:43 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotor View Post
This ASK-13 is purple and white and Dutch PH-405
http://www.airteamimages.com/schleic...ub_142616.html

Also shows off the tail shape and rear landing gear detail, exactly what I was looking for!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:37 PM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
Wow, that would be a bit too much for me. We had much darker purple on the 383, and only the wing tips and nose were purple, the rest was white (with an occasional striping).
Fotor is offline Find More Posts by Fotor