Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Go to his site and he has a write up on how to layout all your parts and such.......just remember that laser time is figured by the inch.....so.....the more lines on the drawing the higher the cost.....I had him do a wing that is beautiful to look at with all the cutouts in the ribs but it wasn't cheap!
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
I will try to keep costs down, keep it simple for my first sailplane build. Since I am modifiying the CAD plans anyway, I might as well make adjustments for the sheeting so it is scale looking also. Wonder if there is a way to make the spoilers too? That would be trick.

I must have the same craving for ribs as you... the 3.2m ASK-13 offered through icare-rc.com is really nice.

studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:59 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Something like that! Here's the wing kit I had cut....

Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:30 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
Love it! More specs please, what sailplane is that for?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:38 AM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780549
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:02 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16 View Post
OMG...soo kewl, thanks for sharing that - WOW ( insert drop jaw, major humbled feeling ), I feel like such a beginner at this. Perfect inspiration, my enthusiasm will overpower, build on the ASK-13 we must!
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:59 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
Cut the elevator rest piece (for lack of a better word?) out of 1/8" basswood and 1/8" ply strip glued under. Will use small blind nut underneath into the ply and allen head bolt from the top with washers. The ply will also get glued to F8 and F9, should stiffen everything up. Might add some gussets to the inside front corners of F8.

Just thinking that the 1/8" ply strip underneath might be too much? If I used basswood the weight difference wouldn't be that less noticeable and could still hold the blind nut. What to do? should decide before it gets glued in!

ps... Krickey I'm running low on UHU Hart, hope my order arrives soon, two BIG phat fresh tubes. Wonder why the wife thinks I'm so happy lately.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,712 Posts
When going on a journey the hardest part is taking the first step. You are doing very well on your build. The second model should go a little faster.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
When going on a journey the hardest part is taking the first step. You are doing very well on your build. The second model should go a little faster.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm not loosing any steam, it's just that the CAD drawings need fixing to make the wing ribs correct with the sheeting, this got me in a little stitch. Glad I decided to send them to laser cut, I would have never been able to review and cut away with my magic elf minitool and eventually ending up like the original designer in the Netherlands.

Q... Is there anyone that would like to review my fixes on the .DXF file BEFORE I send it out to be cut? I'm kind of winging it, excuse the pun!

I do know that this build at this scale is possibly one of the items on the list of self-initiation into the world of scratch built scale sailplanes and hopefully the scale police give me the nod
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:40 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Thanks......but......realize that the Pratt Ried is now in it's fifth year of being "built" .......life keeps getting in the way along with other airplanes.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:48 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
Guess I'm doing pretty good at 21 days in! Need to s-l-o-w down on the glue though...

I'm a builder by nature my wife says. I Art Direct, design and build an 84-page magazine 5 times a year and catalogs all day at work. At night I'm now a balsa monkey!
Last edited by studioRS; Sep 07, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:08 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Cool......if you want to send me your .dxf files i'll look at them for you.....I think you can click on my name and send me an email.....
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:25 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
Ok will do. Might be later tonight. I'll have to send over an in-progress fix on the wing plan view, as I'm extrapolating the wing ribs from this. Or at least trying to. Might also have to chat on the phone at the same time.

I've got to get my batteries ready for tomorrow's funfly at my club. Oh, yeah, winds expected to be 10-18mph with gust to 36mph. Hmm can you say wing flex!
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:27 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
what format are the original drawings in?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:48 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,328 Posts
The originals are editable PDFs. I can send you any format, doesn't have to be .DXF. I just a have a few detail Qs and after a quick clarification over the phone and looking at the same image I'll send over, your answer and direction should send me down the rabbit hole for more fun :-) .