SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:59 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
I just checked out the photos over on recaerotowing of Elmira event, nice.

Will do on the cable ends.

40% is big. Would these plans work, other than just needing to upsize all wood specs?
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:39 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,846 Posts
40% is just 4X what you have now......
SZD16 is online now Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:31 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Ok, I can print these plans out on my laser printer at 4x this size, should be a nice next build. What scale is 40%, what would the wing span width be? 50% would be 1/2 scale? Krickey, I'm going to need a bigger car for transporting these. Can anyone say Mercedes-Benz Sprinter?

Back to this 1650mm span. I decided to look at these A4 size sheets on the wing, thinking of having these all laser cut so at least my wing comes out somewhat straight. I opened up the PDFs and found some work is needed with the drawings to make correct for cutting. Updated the R1-R5 file (2mm ply) and noticed that these are the only ones illustrated in vector with the notches for the top and bottom spar. All the other pieces R6-R27 do not have notches indicated in the drawings for the spar box. Hmmm, need to fix these too. I'll post up the updated PDF for wings, ready for laser cutting. National Balsa in MA can cut these and supply my Sitka spruce too.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:57 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,846 Posts
40% = 1/2.5 scale
Wing span = 6.6 meters......
260"

Maybe build a 1/4 scale next and work your way up to 40%........40% is big!
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:40 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
I think an 1/8 scale might be better for me after this, I can work up to 4 meter! That 4m size will def. require an Audi quattro Avant upgrade and bigger shop table. The 1/8 scale will match my other 2meter sailplanes and full size 16,0 meters ASK-13 scales down (at 1/8) to 2,0 meters span (78.74") exactly. Thanks for the inspiration, I'm sure larger will fly better.

More progress, sanded air frame and applied panels. I found a new use for my iPad as a light table. Scaled the updated PDF profile to fit exactly to the plans and traced the front skid / skate. Why print out paper when you can use an iPad?

The iPad also works as the best ref. unit around. Fits on the bench, load up any photo and size for details. Purfect.

I"m trying to document this build as best as I can photographically so that others can benefit and hopefully learn from my mistakes and or progress. I traced the panels and will update the plans with these too. The panels lines are so critical to make the "correct" looks for a finished sailplane. After pouring over hundreds of photos I think I've got it.
Last edited by studioRS; Sep 02, 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: fixed scale inches
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:25 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Update... 20 days since I've started and it's starting to look more like an ASK-13.

- Finished the bottom sheeting over the holiday weekend and realized if I did the side paneling, I wouldn't be able to remove from the jig. So, off the jig it goes.

- My first impressions are it is amazingly light and strong feeling compared to my uncovered EPO sailplane fuselages and going to be a small little slope, aerotow unit.

- Added balsa stringers to the tops of the fuselage bulkheads F4-F7, this seems to tighten it up some and will allow me to add glue when installing the balsa sheeting on top.

- Again after pouring over hundreds of photos of ASK-13's the skid / skate profile, something doesn't seem right on the drawings and what I made. Even on the factory AS drawings it is off a little from production. So, I set out to correct it. I'm planning to cover the fuselage with cloth and medium CA, then paint. Laying the cloth down will give me the loose look that covers the real skate. I'm leaving off covering the open area next to the skate with balsa. Also filed back the lower sections of F2, F3 so the cloth can depress in some.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm planning to install a Multiplex Cularis nose aerotowing mechanism, #72 3470
Last edited by studioRS; Sep 05, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,846 Posts
Looking good! One of the "Joys" of scratch building.......spending hours building and then pulling it off the board and comparing it to the pictures you have and going,"Doh! That's not right!" 8-)
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Thanks for chiming in and coaching me along with this. Yes, when I pulled it off the jig it was pretty kewl, then of course, realized the skid / skate oversight. Maybe I should have been upside down building it the whole time?

- I guess I should fit the side panelling and dial in the nose area next.
- After that, work on the tail F10 alignment / attachment and rudder.

I'm getting a little nervous about building the wings. I see that one method is to sandwich together some of the ribs and sand to shape. Never done that.

I wonder if I could send out an updated .DWG file to have them all laser cut instead? Since I can easily draw in Illustrator and totally understand plans and drawings, that part is easy. I'm even trained in Autotrol CAD software on an old DN3000 computer.

So, where do I send files to have them laser cut? National Balsa in MA has the Sitka Spruce I need and can laser cut, any ref. are they good? Other suggestions, would be nice to get wing wood at the same place.

You all know where this is going to go... short kit for several different scales.
Last edited by studioRS; Sep 05, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:13 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Oh, I don't have any proper European tug's (Wilga 35, 104 or 80) to tow this with, but do have a new local flying buddy and he is a good pilot and all over the idea of helping out. Even the guys at my club don't aerotow, we have such a nice long close-cut grass runway, going to have to change that!

So... I thought about building the Wilga PLZ-104 kit Esprit model has (I'll stick with scratch building scale sailplanes for now). It is close to 1/8 scale and will tow all my other 2 meters perfectly too.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:54 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
So, where do I send files to have them laser cut?
This is who I use for laser cutting..... http://www.ak-models.com/
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Thank you for the heads up on ak-models.com laser services. Setting up the file looks straight forward enough.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:49 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Last night session...

- Sanded the nose block down to rough sizing.
- Added rear side panel.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:51 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
EDIT Stop press...

I've been working on the CAD plans today and noticed some discrepancies and incorrectly drawn parts in the wing ribs. The original designer didn't figure in the wing sheeting for R5 through R27 - ruhro. Easy enough to fix, just takes time to lay it out on the wing plan view and redraw correctly.

The fuselage, skid / skate profile and nose, canopy profile will be adjusted too.

I've also taken the liberty to adjust slightly for conversion to 1/16" balsa sheeting (1.587mm rather than the 1mm drawn) on the wing ribs for us yanks and will send out the whole lot as a .DWG file for laser cutting to ak-models, wahoo!

This *might* explain why the original builder in the Netherlands doesn't have finished photos and why the project photo progress has stopped right before wing sheeting...
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:57 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,846 Posts
.DXF file is better I believe. That's what I sent him.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:00 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Ok, I can export a .DXF from Adobe Illustrator, thanks again for the heads up