Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Build Log
ASK13 1:10 build

Over the last two years I've flown and still learning on my epos; 2m Radian, ST Models DG-1000 & modded ASW28 in thermals and some very light ridge soaring off of tree tops, mostly fly from flat fields in Vermont. I like the idea of easy transportation and smaller size of 2 meters. I know 2m is not considered the best for sailplane size, but I began looking at the ASK13. This looks like something I could actual build with it's semi-square fuselage and maybe there are plans in 1:10 scale? Wow, so kewl, like an early Porsche 911s, this sailplane is the bees knees. Love the forward swept wings, stubby cockpit bubble nose and it has such a dedicated following.

(note: I recently built a small hand thrown 21" wing span DFS Reiher, think "chuck glider" but with my studioRS graphics twist, out of balsa and this got my teeth wet. Something about carving balsa, gluing it up, sanding, balancing it and covering with my graphics - chucking for a real flight was amazing - it flew!)

I'm hooked. I've decided to make my first scratch build "erstes bauen" on a 1:10 scale ASK13 - a trainer on a training mission. I found these ASK13 plans and build log. It doesn't look like he's posted photos of a finished sailplane yet, but looks good so far.

Full credit and inspiration of my ASK-13 project go to the designer here...
http://ask13.udjat.nl

First, start to buy the right tools and parts.

- Small scroll saw. Found one on craigslist but missed out on it. Darn, sometimes things happen for a reason. Asked a fellow buddy at the office the next day if he knew of a scroll saw for sale and viola - get this - he has a complete Craftsman minitool set Made In Germany in the back of his Range Rover Classic - OMG! What a find, he said I can borrow it for as long as I need (btw, sold here in NJ as MiniLux tools through MicroMark). I'm in heaven.

- Glue. Medium CA, check got some. Ambroid, check, got a tube although, I prefer German UHU Hart but, my tube is almost done, drats need more! Hmmm, Hobby-Lobby doesn't import anymore. Update: found it in Canada and just ordered last night from eurorailhobbies.com in British Columbia.

- Wood. Looking at National Balsa Sitka Spruce for the wing spars, good bad? I've already cut the wing loading fuselage bulkheads #4, #5 out of 3.1mm Birch ply and decided to cut the remaining ones out of 2.3mm Basswood - easy work for the minitool. Man I feel like a happy elf with that thing

Anywho, here are some initial photos and progress. Next step is to build the jig and get jiggy with it. MoF, I've never covered a sailplane with monokote! I do have some local pros in my club that can help me there. This should be a fun, interesting learning build, hopefully this 2m size will fly.

I really want to keep it scale and slope soar down at Cape Cod but, that's 6 hrs south of me - need to move there I guess. I'm going to be really stressed to aerotow this and a motor in the nose has saved me (still a fledgling as far as flying goes, just a total scale sailplane enthusiast) and I've never done aerotowing yet... My plan is to keep practicing on my epo's with motors off as much as possible. I do have to take you up on your offer Len to come down to CT to learn.

Hopefully with the support of the scale police I can resist the temptation of installing a folding prop in the nose

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Nov 26, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:22 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Looks interesting. I love the sailplanes of that era since it's when I learned to fly.

While larger is better in many respects, smaller sailplanes can catch thermals the larger ones never notice. Discus launched gliders can fly all day in thermals while six meter jobs go up and come down with nary a hint of lift.

Good luck with your build.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Thanks Pete! I'm really looking forward to this build and you know I took the red pill 'cause all I think about during the day is revving up that little elf minitool again at night.

I need to source some 6mm ID aluminum tubing and 4.8 or 5mm OD carbon fibre arrow shaft to slip into it for the wing saddle support. I do have another fellow work bud that used to own an archery store - go figure - and has stock of carbon fibre and aluminum arrowshafts. Working on that one.

My plan is to wrap around the aluminum tubing on the bulkhead with some type of either safety wire or thicker thread and epoxy over. Just seems like such a stressed area. Or would just epoxy be fine?

Also, the plans call for such a short section of carbon for the wing support. I guess after the 5-6th ply wing spar the boxed spruce will take the load fine. My gut feeling wants to extend the carbon all the way out.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:02 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
@prodjx - wonderful period photographs! Thats great you flew and are actually in one of them! What year did you fly and were these taken, early 70s? Is that the club name or field location, city on the nose?

Quick Q since you have actually been inside a cockpit. In the nose area, are there cross supports behind the larger fiberglass sections? In other words, in between each bulkhead tubular support do cross supports of smaller tubes exist? I'll hunt down some photos of a restoration, gotta be some out there. My concern is that having only balsa skin with a monocote covering, while light, might not be the strongest for my lack of landing talents. Wonder if I should cover over the balsa nose section, similar to the real AS K-13, with light fiberglass instead of monocote? If I can make it light enough, should be ok?

And what is the correct display for the logotype "AS K-13", or ASK13, AS K13?

I do remember seeing your posts and photos in another much older AS K-13 thread, which of course all of that has helped with my inspiration to go ahead with my build. I don't think I've located another 1:10 build thread yet.

For the jig, I've decided to use a nice piece of Maple (seems appropriate being from Vermont - the peice in the photos) and small upright 1x3/4 sections. I can screw these in from the bottom and countersink the holes. Will have to find someone with a table saw (hopefully another friend at work!) to cut the small upright pieces, very square. It is hard, flat and should work well as these plans call to hang the fuselage upside down while building. More progress to come...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Found some pretty good detail interior cockpit shots and build thread of a 2.73m. I won't have the luxury of space for detailing like this but I'll try my best. Here is a photo from the page of a real AS K-13.

http://lesgpr.free.fr/construire/ppr...sk13-build.htm

Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:47 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Organized and cleaned up the bulkheads, ready to make the jig.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Poked around and found another 1:10 ~ 1:9 scale at 1,800mm build in France. Plans from Alfred Bellac from Fly Magazine #7, Oct 1995. Foam wing construction with balsa sheeting and simple balsa, polystyrene fuselage fiberglassed, simple elevator. Looks great finished. Making a hot wire cut foam wing sounds tempting.

Photos
http://lesgpr.free.fr/construire/ppr...l/ask13-ll.htm

Build photos
http://lesgpr.free.fr/construire/ppr...nstruction.htm

http://pgmodelisme.free.fr/planeurs/2m.htm

Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,687 Posts
I kind of blew the caption on that photo of me. Wiesbaden and Klagenfut are sister cities. One of their glider club's A/C had Wiesbaden painted on the nose of their sailplane, an Mg-23 I believe. The time frame of these photo's was late 60's and the location is where I earned my B Badge. BTW if you've drawn up plan's I'd be willing to buy a copy.In my Martin Simon's book it's listed as an ASK-13.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:22 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I kind of blew the caption on that photo of me. Wiesbaden and Klagenfut are sister cities. One of their glider club's A/C had Wiesbaden painted on the nose of their sailplane, an Mg-23 I believe. The time frame of these photo's was late 60's and the location is where I earned my B Badge. BTW if you've drawn up plan's I'd be willing to buy a copy.In my Martin Simon's book it's listed as an ASK-13.
That clarifies it, thank you!

B Badge, I am assuming, must be this?
http://www.gliding.co.uk/learningtog...adgesystem.htm

Minimum Requirements
"'B' Completed 'A' Badge requirements.
Soaring flight of at least 5 minutes at or above previous low point after release.
Successful landing. Show knowledge of rules of the air, including rules appertaining to airspace.

Privileges
Shows a standard of proficiency reached.
-----

I need to go fly in a real sailplane and then take lessons, nice. There is a glider port south of me an hour or so at sugarbushsoaring.com and they have an ASK-21.

In as much as I would "like" to take credit for these plans I can't. I found them from a gentleman in the Netherlands. I've tried emailing to thank him and received a bounce so, not sure what is up there.

I printed these out at 100% and taped together. Seems to work fine, with a few measurement adjustments on the placement of the F1-F3 bulkheads as shown.

EDIT: Fuselage and wing plans need slight reworking, will update revised version here in this post.

NOTE: I have noticed the shape of the fuselage nose, skid / skate and canopy need revising. I laid the orginal drawings from (scalesoaring link.co.uk link) Alexander Schleicher ASK-13 over these and the shape differs ever so slightly but enough to make the scale police take notice. I will make the adjustments and upload a corrected fuselage PDF, the one listed below is the original uncorrected plan.

Last edited by studioRS; Nov 26, 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: edited plan adjustment notes
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Built the grid over at my friends who happens to be an Architect, cabinet maker, and lover of wood—and oh yeah, he has the tools! My career started as a draftsman with rapidiograph pens, pencils and then CAD so I know the importance of accuracy in plans to project. The base piece is Cherry not Maple with finished pine uprights.

Here is a photo from last night, checking the fitment and alignment before tacking these up. Need to purchase 7mm aluminum tubing, have a 6mm carbon arrowshaft ready.
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,687 Posts
The K-13 is coming along nicely. WoW Sugarbush, when I returned to the state's I joined the Long Island Soaring Assoc. and continued to fly glider's mostly in the club's 2-33's, the club used to aerotow some of their A/C up to Sugarbush. Is Mt. Washington up near there? We also used to go to the Labor Day get together at PGC in Hill town P.A. got to see and photograph some vintage sailplane's, Tern (which I have a set of plan's for the real deal) SHK Austria, a Blanik L-13 which I flew there. Stan Hall Cherokee II's and the list goes on. BTW I also have plan's for a 1/5 scale ASW-15 and a 1/6th scale C-30 Edelwiess. Some day, today I start the l/h side of a mold for a friend's design, the Tango, a dedicated slope glider. I've been on a mold making jag lately. And there's more I want to make. TTYL Dave.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:02 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
The K-13 is coming along nicely. WoW Sugarbush, when I returned to the state's I joined the Long Island Soaring Assoc. and continued to fly glider's mostly in the club's 2-33's, the club used to aerotow some of their A/C up to Sugarbush. Is Mt. Washington up near there? We also used to go to the Labor Day get together at PGC in Hill town P.A. got to see and photograph some vintage sailplane's, Tern (which I have a set of plan's for the real deal) SHK Austria, a Blanik L-13 which I flew there. Stan Hall Cherokee II's and the list goes on. BTW I also have plan's for a 1/5 scale ASW-15 and a 1/6th scale C-30 Edelwiess. Some day, today I start the l/h side of a mold for a friend's design, the Tango, a dedicated slope glider. I've been on a mold making jag lately. And there's more I want to make. TTYL Dave.
Yes, Mt Washington is in New Hampshire, but essentially around the same area about 3 hrs from Sugarbush.

Good luck on the moulds, never ventured there, yet... This is my first scratch build !

Here are the adjusted fuselage plans, my updates to the nose, canopy and rudder are shown in RED.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
More photos. I used Ambroid to tack the fuselage pieces to each jig member. Ambroid cracks easier when hard than UHU Hart and if you place each piece up for alignment, then put a dab of Ambroid on the outside it tacks up well and can crack off easily.

Maybe Ambroid should study UHU Hart chemical and physical properties more? UHU goes down similar to Ambroid, but after the VOCs evaporate it retains an epoxy like bond afterwards. You KNOW my complete sailplane will be glued together with Made in Germany UHU Hart. Ahh, die klugen Deutschen!

I'm beginning to see why you build larger scale sailplanes, this fuselage is small.

The fuselage bulkheads #9, #10 I used two 3/8x3/8 balsa pieces and just glued it on the base.

(ps... received an email today that my order of UHU Hart went through from eurorailhobbies.com, but is on back order, shucks - only two weeks though, good news).
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 17, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:22 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,500 Posts
Very nice !
I've always been an ASK-13 fan !

Got to fly one at Alberta bluffs in Michigan several yrs ago.

Must take time to build a model of it soon.

L8r

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay