HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:20 PM
Watch this! *crunch*
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
What aircraft/plane have you had the MOST fun with so far?
Well I love the way the mustang flies, but my eflite apprentice has literally NEVER failed me. Except for the one time the ESC messed up but I just put in a spare 40a I had and she has never given me a word of trouble ever since. All she needs is for me to plug in the battery and she can be handlaunched (done many times) or she will take off from the ground. I upgraded the wheels to du bro 2 1/4 inch wheels on the back and 2 1/2 on the front. It has been through STOL to grass, dirt and gravel runways, 20+ mph winds, 5 or so crashes, and rough handling. Just recently replaced the prop, it was getting a little scuffed up because it was the 1st and only prop that plane had ever had.
nforbesrc99 is offline Find More Posts by nforbesrc99
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:22 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforbesrc99 View Post
Well I love the way the mustang flies, but my eflite apprentice has literally NEVER failed me. Except for the one time the ESC messed up but I just put in a spare 40a I had and she has never given me a word of trouble ever since. All she needs is for me to plug in the battery and she can be handlaunched (done many times) or she will take off from the ground. I upgraded the wheels to du bro 2 1/4 inch wheels on the back and 2 1/2 on the front.
Sounds like you like scale/sport flying... but also like a little speed as well. Maybe you should get something big, or scale and balsa? Sounds like 3D isn't where it's at for you IMHO. But yes to gliders, they fly VERY smoothly.

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:26 PM
Watch this! *crunch*
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like you like scale/sport flying... but also like a little speed as well. Maybe you should get something big, or scale and balsa? Sounds like 3D isn't where it's at for you IMHO. But yes to gliders, they fly VERY smoothly.

Dan
Yea. That's why I think a bixler and a DLG would be good because the Bixler is quick and reliable (from what I have heard) and the DLG is smooth and relaxing.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:28 PM
My plane is 5ft BGL!
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
What cars do you have?
Traxxas Slash 4x4 (rear axle)
Excede RC blur 1/16 nitro (clutch)
The Excede is real crap, I burnt out two clutches in as many runs. And the clutch is always out of stock.
Slash is a lot better, but I like to run it hard
LowlyElevated is offline Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:28 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Yea. That's why I think a bixler and a DLG would be good because the Bixler is quick and reliable (from what I have heard) and the DLG is smooth and relaxing.
Don't get a Bixler, it would be too easy for you. Try a scale model, or something big (like 70''+) for real scale flying. That Beaver that Alex built was about 80'' in wingspan and probably cost him less than what you would pay for a 300X....

DLG is amazing. I'll be sure to report back once I've flown the Binary as well - with the correct setup this time. It literally feels 1/3 as heavy as my last build.. which is a good thing!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:29 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman View Post
Traxxas Slash 4x4 (rear axle)
Excede RC blur 1/16 nitro (clutch)
The Excede is real crap, I burnt out two clutches in as many runs. And the clutch is always out of stock.
Slash is a lot better, but I like to run it hard
Ah, the Slash 4x4 eh? Velineon power? I used to be a big Traxxas fan, had a 1/16 E-Revo VXL at one point. Wrote up an entire FAQ on it as well. Are you (were you) on the Traxxas forums?

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:31 PM
My plane is 5ft BGL!
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Ah, the Slash 4x4 eh? Velineon power? I used to be a big Traxxas fan, had a 1/16 E-Revo VXL at one point. Wrote up an entire FAQ on it as well. Are you (were you) on the Traxxas forums?

Dan
Yeah. Velineon brushless.
Aftermarket body, custom painted by yours truly. Orange with a white stripe down the center and the number 7 on the side.
LowlyElevated is offline Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:31 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Quote:
Don't get a Bixler, it would be too easy for you. Try a scale model, or something big (like 70''+) for real scale flying. That Beaver that Alex built was about 80'' in wingspan and probably cost him less than what you would pay for a 300X....

DLG is amazing. I'll be sure to report back once I've flown the Binary as well - with the correct setup this time. It literally feels 1/3 as heavy as my last build.. which is a good thing!

Dan
72".

$250, all said an done
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:38 PM
Watch this! *crunch*
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2012
264 Posts
I have been looking at the Top Flite P-51 Mustang 60 ARF. Electric conversion running on 12s and a Hacker A60 18L and a castle ice 120hv and hitec s all around with Robart retracts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:40 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
72".

$250, all said an done
Sounds great!

Quote:
I have been looking at the Top Flite P-51 Mustang 60 ARF. Electric conversion running on 12s and a Hacker A60 18L
That's sooo expensive though... and the one that Alex built is bigger

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:44 PM
Watch this! *crunch*
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Sounds great!

That's sooo expensive though... and the one that Alex built is bigger

Dan
No, the mustang is 80"
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:46 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
All 3d planes do is imatate what helis were made to do.
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:48 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Quote:
No, the mustang is 80"
Not from what this says here:

SPECS: Wingspan: 64.5" (1640mm)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXTDF5

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:49 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot23 View Post
All 3d planes do is imatate what helis were made to do.
You really do love helis don't you? Helis can do a lot more tricks... but both were made for separate purposes. The main similarity is that planes and helis both are FUN

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:58 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
Helis are funner *correct: More Fun*
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Last edited by helipilot23; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: funner not runner
Closed Thread