HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforbesrc99 View Post
And gas is 30.00 a gallon... A gallon gives you 10 flights. One lipo gives you 75 flights over its lifetime... So you could spend 200 bucks in lipos and get 3 of them and put over 220+ flights on the plane, (3 flights a trip, if you dont charge at the field) where as in gas, to get 220 flights, you would have to spend 660+ dollars on gas, plus the rising prices on gas plus tax. Whereas you could have spent 200 on lipos and got the same amount of flying time for 400 less... Plus you have to worry about exploding gas, it messing up things, and a ton of other things that come with gas.
I don't know where you live, but gas is $2.99 where I live and a quart of oil is about 9.99. A quart of oil will last me about 20 solid hours of flight time.
Plus I can get 12 minutes off one tank, and I can do cool airshows with the smoke and the SOUND always impresses people.
Have you guys even flown a gas version?
I've flown both gas and electric on the same plane (74 edge) and I'd choose gas with the blink of an eye.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
It's all relative to a 50cc. I said it's semi cheap and easy to charge. Compared to a 50cc. And you can't fly a plane as hard (3d) on gas as you can electric in a 30cc. Ask Joe Smith. Electic is cleaner and easier to work with also.

Also, the motor and esc is not twice the cost of a gas engine! My motrolfly 4330 (high quality motor!) was $189 and my ZTW Land Power 120a hv opto esc was $100. That's only $289 total. Even if you got a castle esc, the Ice 100 is $118. That's still only $307 total. A dle-30 is like $280, a dle-35ra is like $350, and an os gt33 is like $430. So the electric power system is cheaper in some cases. Plus you still need a throttle servo for a gas engine.

Gas is not $30 a gallon! It's more like around $8 a gallon when you add in the oil.

And you can get way more than 75 flights on one lipo if you treat it right! Some people get upwards of 500-600 cycles on one lipo!
You forgot to add the price of Lipos and an external BEC.....
So it ends up around equal.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:04 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Yeah, the lipos and gas just about equal each other out over time.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:14 PM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
687 Posts

Looks cool, but has anyone seen the PRICE ON THAT HUNK OF FOAM???????????????? THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! crazy
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdId=PKZ6580
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:18 PM
license to fly!
United States, NH, Bartlett
Joined Mar 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
I don't know where you live, but gas is $2.99 where I live and a quart of oil is about 9.99. A quart of oil will last me about 20 solid hours of flight time.
Plus I can get 12 minutes off one tank, and I can do cool airshows with the smoke and the SOUND always impresses people.
I've flown both gas and electric on the same plane (74 edge) and I'd choose gas with the blink of an eye.
$2.99? that's cheap here it is like $4
zebtqb is offline Find More Posts by zebtqb
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:23 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes View Post

Looks cool, but has anyone seen the PRICE ON THAT HUNK OF FOAM???????????????? THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! crazy
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdId=PKZ6580
Looks fun to fly! But I wouldn't pay $300 for it.

Here's a cool video of it!
ParkZone VisionAire AS3X (5 min 32 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:43 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that's incredible. Getting close and over $4 lately for gas around here

On another note, my RadJet came today, as well as the motor/ESC for my Edge. RadJet is almost finished, super easy to just slap together. Not much room in the fuse, though... the 1300 mAH 3S 20C pack just makes it in there!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:11 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Wow, that's incredible. Getting close and over $4 lately for gas around here

On another note, my RadJet came today, as well as the motor/ESC for my Edge. RadJet is almost finished, super easy to just slap together. Not much room in the fuse, though... the 1300 mAH 3S 20C pack just makes it in there!

Dan
Nice! are you gonna make a youtube video of it?
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:13 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
I've got the unboxing videos uploading as we speak. Tomorrow I'll make a video of the RadJet itself. All the servos for the Edge are arriving tomorrow as well as the battery all in one HK USA order, so I'll be busy setting all that up.

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:46 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Are you on crack or somthing?!?!? Hell no!!! Just use RC 56 canopy glue on all screws and you're fine!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot23 View Post
im joining the 114th!!!!
Do you know someone who is already in it? You need a sponsor to be voted in... I'm joining tomorrow night, so after then, I could be your sponsor...
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:47 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Cool! What issues does it have? And you have enough money for that?

What setup are you going to run?
Just a canopy fitting issue. They're fixing it right now. I'm looking at the EME60 with Savox 2270s all around.
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebtqb View Post
$2.99? that's cheap here it is like $4
Yep, as of this morning
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:21 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Just a canopy fitting issue. They're fixing it right now. I'm looking at the EME60 with Savox 2270s all around.
Sounds like a great setup! I was looking at the EME60. It seems to be pretty good!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:27 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
savox means lots o mula.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:28 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,519 Posts
Quote:
i want to gas sooooo bad on my 72 but an OS GT 33 is 420$ and im not going to get a DLE 30. i dont trust them.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Closed Thread