HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
I think this is a good deal for $500. do you? I would probably sell half of them and convert the rest to brushless b/c nitro is waayyy to expensive for me. do you think I could get my money back by selling 3-4 planes and 2 radios?

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ413410815
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kamutzki View Post
I think this is a good deal for $500. do you? I would probably sell half of them and convert the rest to brushless b/c nitro is waayyy to expensive for me. do you think I could get my money back by selling 3-4 planes and 2 radios?

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ413410815
Very nice. I would count on getting most of your money back. But it is in london isnt it?
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
well, the ad is in london, but the posted location is midland which is 3 hours north of me. london is 45 minutes south. I will be going on a camping trip this weekend and we'll go right by there. would a brushless conversion for one of these things be around $75 from hobbyking including ESC, battery, motor and orange rx/satellite??
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
not sure about the price of brushless conversion. When you are doing an estimate, make sure you factor in an external BEC. Hk escs are pretty good, but if one fails the bec does to and you lose your plane
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
ok. those aren't expensive are they? and what happens if the BEC fails???
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:00 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,411 Posts
Quote:
It's hard to tell for sure. The radios aren't really new enough to be useful or old enough to be valuable; in total you might get $50-75 for a pair of them if you're lucky. You'd have to find someone who's still on 72MHz, and by now most of those guys have top-of-the-line radios that they bought for cheap from people who switched to 2.4GHz. Depending on what's in the planes (engines, servos, receivers etc.) you may be able to part them out, but to break even you'd need to make over $100 per plane. The airframes mostly look old and probably have some fuel residue and crap on them. Assuming they're in good flying condition, you might be able to get like $50 each depending on exactly what planes they are.

This is also assuming that everything works. You'll have to be able to test and diagnose the engines, especially if they've been hanging in that garage for awhile.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
It's hard to tell for sure. The radios aren't really new enough to be useful or old enough to be valuable; in total you might get $50-75 for a pair of them if you're lucky. You'd have to find someone who's still on 72MHz, and by now most of those guys have top-of-the-line radios that they bought for cheap from people who switched to 2.4GHz. Depending on what's in the planes (engines, servos, receivers etc.) you may be able to part them out, but to break even you'd need to make over $100 per plane. The airframes mostly look old and probably have some fuel residue and crap on them. Assuming they're in good flying condition, you might be able to get like $50 each depending on exactly what planes they are.

This is also assuming that everything works. You'll have to be able to test and diagnose the engines, especially if they've been hanging in that garage for awhile.
really? only $50 for an airframe? they're like $300 new!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:03 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
and the nitro engines are expensive too!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kamutzki View Post
soldering bullets is super easy. just watch this video. Also, the ESC looks nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9yY9Kk4bEA
Yeah that's what I did. Had my dad drill a small hole in a piece of scrap wood... before that I was holding the bullet with a wrench, and the wrench was doubling as a heatsink, so I couldn't even melt the solder inside the bullet! LOL!

No more comments on it? I think it looks rad

Anybody notice the RX wire on the winglet?

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:18 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,411 Posts
Quote:
really? only $50 for an airframe? they're like $300 new!
Ummm yeah, but the value tends to go down once somebody's flown them, maybe crashed and repaired them, and blown a bunch of sticky glow exhaust over them. I'd laugh if anyone tried to sell me a used ~.40-.61 sized sport airframe for more than about $50. If these were molded pylon racers or something then they'd retain some value, but common wooden planes are cheap fare.

Quote:
and the nitro engines are expensive too!
Again, they're expensive when NEW. A nitro engine of unknown background with an unknown amount of runtime on it is not something that'll typically sell for a lot of money. If I was gonna buy an engine, I would A) want it to come from someone that I know took good care of it and can assure me that it's in good condition, or B) want to spend so little on it that I can't possible lose.

Brushless motors retain excellent secondhand value because there's nothing on them to wear out other than the bearings. I can buy a new Mega for $100 or a used one for $95. Nitro engines are wearing-out machines. All those hot moving parts, explosions, and residues... Ick.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:

Do you think I'd have trouble selling them? I will know more about them after I talk with the guy, hopefully tonight
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
so it looks like I could do an electric conversion for less than $100 with stuff from hobbyking (ESC, UBEC, LiPo, Motor, Rx/satellite)
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:27 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Ummm yeah, but the value tends to go down once somebody's flown them, maybe crashed and repaired them, and blown a bunch of sticky glow exhaust over them. I'd laugh if anyone tried to sell me a used ~.40-.61 sized sport airframe for more than about $50. If these were molded pylon racers or something then they'd retain some value, but common wooden planes are cheap fare.

Again, they're expensive when NEW. A nitro engine of unknown background with an unknown amount of runtime on it is not something that'll typically sell for a lot of money. If I was gonna buy an engine, I would A) want it to come from someone that I know took good care of it and can assure me that it's in good condition, or B) want to spend so little on it that I can't possible lose.

Brushless motors retain excellent secondhand value because there's nothing on them to wear out other than the bearings. I can buy a new Mega for $100 or a used one for $95. Nitro engines are wearing-out machines. All those hot moving parts, explosions, and residues... Ick.
ok. I see your point. so it's not really worth that much. is $500 a decent deal, but If I was to get my money back I would have to sell everything?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,011 Posts
Hey guys, I just got a free delta airframe! Can't wait to get it!
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:36 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Hey guys, I just got a free delta airframe! Can't wait to get it!
nice!
Closed Thread