HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforbesrc99 View Post
I GOT A UMX SBACH!!! A DX7s AND A NEW F18!!!!!!!!
Congratulations! It's my birthday tomorrow I think I'm going to build a pc not really sure yet...
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Last edited by Park_aviator; Sep 16, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:31 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Quote:
I GOT A UMX SBACH!!! A DX7s AND A NEW F18!!!!!!!!
Sounds great! Have fun!

Just got this all soldered up for the PopWing coming in the mail tomorrow... just needs to be soldered to the motor. Not sure if it works though, it's a year old and from my SkyFun jet (first plane ever ). I completely ripped apart the shrink wrap, soldered on new motor connectors, as well as a completely new Deans lead, and a new, longer receiver connector (servo plug) lead also. So it's basically all new...

Electrical tape over everything except for the heat sink. It was covered by heat shrink to start with, but I think that it will cool down better without anything covering it.

Result came out pretty good IMO! How can I test if it works without hooking a motor up to it (no spare motors around right now)?

Most likely won't be getting my LHS to put bullets on this... just going to directly solder it to the motor. Much easier. Plus I don't have any bullets lying around, and I still don't know how to solder them LOL

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
So does anyone want a CHEAP 450 brushless carbon fiber clone??!?!?!
$120 shipped, it could be yours!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1732559
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
If I had the money I'd take it! Or you could donate it generously to the RCFS...

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
There is so much cheap rc stuff going off around here and i just dont have the funds. Atleast i got those parts on ebay i showed for $36 and $10 express postade
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:04 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
End of the RCFS (100th video), new series called the FPV Project starting soon.

EPISODE 100! (END OF RCFS) 2.4 GHz 10mw Outperforming 500mw? (3 min 51 sec)

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Couldn't resist posting this again...

F3K competition MOLLRAM 2012 (3 min 12 sec)

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:42 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
So... My sister got me a pillow pet for my birthday... LOL
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:43 PM
Watch this! *crunch*
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2012
264 Posts
Went to a swap meet at My LHS got a lightly used blade mSR with tons of spare parts (blades, landing skids, tail rotor and 2 lipos etc.) FOR 25 BUCKS!!! It's the fly barred version might post a video of it's maiden. I've never flown helis before, but I think I'll be just fine. I'm gonna get a scale body kit for it when I get better
nforbesrc99 is offline Find More Posts by nforbesrc99
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:44 PM
Watch this! *crunch*
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2012
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
So... My sister got me a pillow pet for my birthday... LOL
LOL haha sound FUN!!! Strap A motor, and some servos and make it fly!!!!
nforbesrc99 is offline Find More Posts by nforbesrc99
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Quote:
LOL haha sound FUN!!! Strap A motor, and some servos and make it fly!!!!
Done that with a beer carton
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,528 Posts
Quote:
How can I test if it works without hooking a motor up to it (no spare motors around right now)?
Can't. You need a motor...

Quote:
Most likely won't be getting my LHS to put bullets on this... just going to directly solder it to the motor. Much easier. Plus I don't have any bullets lying around, and I still don't know how to solder them LOL
Soldering bullet connectors is actually quite a bit easier than soldering wires together directly. You just heat the connector until it'll melt solder, then melt some solder into the little cup and put the tinned wire in. Hold heat on it for a few seconds to make sure all the solder has melted and flowed together, then remove the iron and hold the wire still until it cools. Slip on some heatshrink and hit it with a lighter. Done.

Directly soldering the wires together means you have to be sure of rotation direction beforehand, and then you have to make sure the wires are perfectly still to get good joints. It's not difficult, but it's less of a quick-n-easy job than bullets.... And it really makes it difficult if you need to switch motors or ESCs, and in a hard crash it can break wires and/or tear solder pads off the ESC board.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
I had bullets on my old motor on the Schwing and the wires tore out of the motor anyways

I just figured out that my motor actually comes with a set of bullet connectors - perfect! So I can solder those on.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,610 Posts
Oh yeah and I hooked up my multimeter to the ESC and ran the throttle (with no motor) I got stuff like between 2v and 6v for the wires going to the motor... I think that means that it's working? That there's voltage going to the motor? IDK... but it makes sense!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,528 Posts
That means that the FETs are functioning and that there's some manner of electrical connection between them and the motor leads. If your solder job is decent, then it should work just fine. If you have a poor or cold joint anywhere, it'll manifest itself as a point of very high resistance or intermittent connection which will cause problems. The almost-zero load of the multimeter won't show you that.

Bottom line: It should be fine, unless it's not
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Closed Thread