HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:00 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined May 2001
332 Posts
Discussion
How to extract an RDS servo?

I am the happy owner of a Vandal (that I didn't build) that has a stripped flap servo.

I'd like to replace the servo but I can not figure out how to remove it... it has an RDS linkage as shown in the attached photo.

Could anyone advise how to disconnect the servo from the linkage? There must be some trick that I'm not aware of.

thanks

John
John Webb is offline Find More Posts by John Webb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,192 Posts
Just pry it apart with a small screw driver of hobby knife.
The carbon dowels are CA'd there. It should pop off easily.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,357 Posts
On my Vandal, I just tried to get the shaft pushed away from the servo as far as possible, then like Jun says, pry out the servo. I suppose you could cut away more of the pocket opposite the shaft to get the servo out, then fill it in with balsa on the re-install.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,523 Posts
jcats is exactly right. Push the torque shaft away, and the servo should come out of the pocket.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,462 Posts
I believe, if you raise the flap so it's aligned with the wing - or very close to that, you'll be able to push the shaft away from the servo enough to disengage the servo. The wiper should slide back a little into the pocket, but the pocket will need to be in the same plane as the torque shaft. Reverse the procedure when the new servo is installed.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
You probably don't have to replace all servo. For less than a couple of dollars you could replace the gears, if you can see the tiny gears.
If your Vandal was assembled by Geoff himself, the RDS usually has the offset build in, i.e., the center/neutral of servo correspond to ~ 20 degree of down flap/aileron.
Tai
tai626 is online now Find More Posts by tai626