HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
SJG
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Help!
UM Mustang P51D

I have had issues flying this plane but am finally getting it to stay in the air. Today I kept in the air long enough to actually run out of battery and it just dropped from the sky. Straight down. Should the plane glide with no power? Do I need to have a timer with an alarm so I bring it down before I run out of battery?
Thanks
SJG is offline Find More Posts by SJG
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:50 PM
Chris “Fly Baby” Greenshields
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2012
28 Posts
Yes a timer would be great. I fly with an Airtronics SD-10G and I aways set the timer on it when I’m flying an electric powered plane. It’s always better to be safe then sorry.
GoBeach75 is offline Find More Posts by GoBeach75
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:10 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
parkzone p51d? if so, it should glide down. 'dead stick' or no power landings are pretty easy if you dont try to fly it, but glide it in.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:18 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,596 Posts
With power off you need to put the nose down to keep up airspeed. Next time you fly get some altitude and then power off to see what you need to do to produce the best glide. And do not fly until the battery dies. It shortens the battery life.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,016 Posts
+1 ggc... If your TX has a timer, you can often set to start when throttle opens, good idea, saves forgetting to start the clock (sounds familiar !). If you have a flight time to flat battery (and it sounds like you already have that data), set the timer for 80% of that time, allowing for a controlled landing, so 10mins run-time, set timer to 8mins for margin. This will indeed help your batteries survive for longer and return good performance
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,035 Posts
Yup, think of it as the Space Shuttle. It needs tons of speed and you get that by diving. Then you have enough speed in the "battery" to level out and land at the last instant.

A 20 or 30 degree dive should be enough to keep the speed on. Don't try level flight because the drag slows the plane down and then you get the glide angle of a buffalo turd, but without the smell.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
no power

I'am sorry too say ..if you have 0% power , there is a 90% chance that you will nose dive to the ground.The reason for that is , if there is no power there is no way to get the servo's moving.Most RC Planes can glide in without power(deadstick),just keep it level and let it loss alatude, til you land
If you have atleast 10 to 15% power in your batt you can land it deadstick because there is still enough power to control the servos for a level landing.

The time that you set the TX for all really depends on how mush throttle you use.If you fly with the throttle at full I'd say you will have about 7 - 8 min flight. The only time that you need 3/4 to full power is when you are taking off...Other then that all you really need to stay in the air is a little higher then 50% power
helifreak1 is offline Find More Posts by helifreak1
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
TIMER for sure.... Especially for bigger planes
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates