HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:08 AM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
I do like the idea of skinning the wings externally to get a good finish, but that sort of leads me down the path of finishing, painting (if needed) and so on, and simplicity is my key here, as much as is possible, plus working within the limitations of my own skills.

There's a temptation to get more and more intricate with these things, and that might be all very well and good, and maybe if I do a more sophisticated design at some point, the time will come where those techniques might come to the fore.

Bog standard film covered veneered wings, with a bit of glass under the veneer, will most likely be enough, and, knowing myself, I am more likely to get that to completion than a more complicated project which will most likely languish on paper.

I'm considering making my life more simple by going away from the multiple taper here, I think I am making things overly complicated (ie multiple panels to be joined etc) and just going with a straight taper as below. Probably lighter (less joints) a lot easier and quicker, and possibly, in this application, just as effective. Unsure which I prefer, tapered LE or tapered TE.

MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Last edited by MCarlton; Aug 17, 2012 at 04:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,905 Posts
On a 60 inch model there is little doubt that simplicity is likely going to be a wiser option. Although..... these last wings are a little "pointy" at the tips. Something more raked at the tips might tend to snag the bushes during landing a little less well.

By cutting the simple one piece sheeted cores at an angle or two angles you can blob on some light balsa block tips and create something a little more like your previous options.

With these you want to use light wood since it's out at the tips. But you'll want to harden the leading edge to resist dings. Since you're already using obechi for the skins you can easily use the scrap veneer to laminate a nice 3 or 4 layer leading edge which you mold around the tip which you sand down to slightly undersize to allow the edge banding. Then simply shape the tips to blend to the rest of the wing. And try to maintain as faithful a copy of the airfoil as practical without getting all bent out of shape.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,905 Posts
....hullo? <tap...tap...> Is this mic on?

Just wondering what you think of the angled tips?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:30 AM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Hello yes sorry, my apologies.

Angled tips, I like the idea, your "two piece" has definite possibilities. The original design has changed somewhat and I'm just waiting on some cores. But, I am seriously tempted to do "another" using your idea for the tips, I'm thinking something a bit larger, maybe 2m ish, with nice curvy tips a la your idea and similarly curvaceous features elsewhere.

Simplicity (for now) has meant I just want to get the thing built without too much hassle, but we shall see. I have a few ideas that I want to incorporate into a new design, which I will no doubt be asking about.

Looking at the "almost too silly for words" I am wondering if it actually is. It looks perfectly feasible to me, although needing some careful carving. But with a couple of templates to make sure its all following the section. Hmm....

Last edited by MCarlton; Aug 20, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,905 Posts
This last doodle sure is a pretty looking bird.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Thankyou, I was quite pleased with it. I think that using your tapered tips method, it could be done without resorting to anything particularly "exotic" construction wise.

I've fancied doing a lost foam fuselage at some point, using some of that carbon sock. But first things first. I'll get back into it with the simpler model, get my cutting and sanding fingers back in tune.

I love designing models, I just lack a) the financial wherewithall and b) the time and skill to bring them to fruition.

Still, its nice to get some informed opinion about what I come up with, my design philisophy so far has been firmly TLAR, but sometimes my conception of what looks right, is shall we say, somewhat off the mark!

Here's another of my "notions".

Last edited by MCarlton; Aug 20, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Hey how much difference would it make to the aileron design if i used a straight tapered planform instead of the multi tapered planform?
GESER93 is offline Find More Posts by GESER93
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,905 Posts
Geser, we'd need a little more information to give you a decent answer.

basically though you only need to taper the ailerons "oddly" if the ailerons pass a break point in the wing by some sort of significant amount.

For example, the ailerons on MCarlton's last couple of doodles are just fine for anything but the most critical efficiency based missions. Typically such concerns are not something seen on a slope model. Or even on most flat country thermal soaring models.