HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
2.4GHz systems, Electrics, FPV
New Zealand, Otago, Alexandra
Joined May 2006
112 Posts
Discussion
3D printed FPV but DLG type elliptical wings..

Hi all,

In case you have not seen this yet...

First flight of 3D printed plane (2 min 26 sec)

Its interesting as it has the current DLG (ish) style wing shape...geodetic structure....another way of doing it etc....

Regards

Laurie

Laurence Carroll is offline Find More Posts by Laurence Carroll
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:02 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,255 Posts
very very cool!!!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:09 AM
Craig B
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Mar 2009
366 Posts
this technology is actually quite old.. At one of my previous jobs, we had a 3d printer and a stereo lithography machine that we used to make prototypes. I think the technology is 20 years old or more.. problem is that the machine time is very slow per part volume and cost is high
browncbr1 is offline Find More Posts by browncbr1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supercool V mount
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
522 Posts
While the technology is old, with powerful 3d cad programs and sophisticated computer controls I think its significantly improved. Also, it seems as though there are still advances in materials being made.

This post got me thinking. In DLG, a disser wing is like a geodetic structure, but it is tougher to do a disser layup. Using a 3d printer this could go much quicker, and as shown by the video it is pretty strong. I wish I had kept up on my 3d cad skills, this would be very insteresting to work on. The great thing is to start out it would only take time designing a wing. From there you can figure out the cost, weight, and if necessary scale down to do some strength testing.

One way I thought of would be to print out the wing in two pieces (top and bottom). On the inside of the top and bottom, epoxy strips of carbon fiber tow on key parts and add a carbon fiber spar when gluing the two parts together. In this case you'd only be printing the geodetic structure and skins.

It would be cool to just print a wing, or even a whole DLG instead of having to wait for planes to come back in stock.

-Heath
dumb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs