SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:20 PM
sdadasd
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Cool
12 Year Old Pilot - 67 Hours - Instructor Wants To Sign Him Off

This is a amazing video of a 12 year old who can pilot a cessna 172 completely by himself , though the instructor is there for legal reasons and the FAA. The instructor Said the following " I Would sign him off in a hear beat, but the faa are not to intrested in it due to the death of many children at the control of a aircraft in a solo." He actually was doing a flight from KBCT To KMKY. The failed engine start was due to his hand slipping. It was strange as if you listen the ATC is talking about the kid saying what a heck of a good pilot he was.

Cessna 172 - Start To Cruise - Onboard Camera - GoPro Hero 2 1080P HD
Sladex is offline Find More Posts by Sladex
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:35 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,465 Posts
I have seen many young people do extrodinary things.
The problem I would have with signing him off, is young people tend to not react well when things go wrong. Also, not enough life experience so understandings are often lacking.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:32 AM
sdadasd
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
I have seen many young people do extrodinary things.
The problem I would have with signing him off, is young people tend to not react well when things go wrong. Also, not enough life experience so understandings are often lacking.
I Took a flight with him in the back, there was two blackhawk helicopters that popped out of nowhere flying formation with us, he acted as you would turn away and, well he was kinda scared because they had two marines with miniguns either side of the blackhawks. He captured it on video, would you like me to upload it aswell and he has a flight today and i will ask him to do some landings so you can see how professional he is, especially with the final leg of a flight, the landing.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:41 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,465 Posts
They where probably practicing interceptions. Sounds like he is doing great.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
sdadasd
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Yeah he is doing good, but we have put the plane on the market and now buying a 2008 Cirrus SR22T GTS Perspective. He cant wait. He just hit 70 hours a few days ago. His instructor now is making him take the PPL test and hes doing very well around 70% so far without any studying.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:35 PM
Toowoomba, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
I think it's one of those things where his level of competency or maturity is not relevant, he's a minor.

He'll just have to suck it up for the next few years, and carry a "passenger" who will carry the legal can.

Don't forget in some parts of the world they allow 14yo's to tear around on motorcycles at over 200km/hr within a few feet of each other. In most countries, kids younger than 5yo start racing motorcross at speeds higher than you can drive around town. It's a good thing kid's bones are still bendy at that age
bjr_93tz is offline Find More Posts by bjr_93tz
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2002
1,030 Posts
lucky kid has nothing to moan about though, soon as he hits the right age he'll pass his ppl no problem with bags of experience and his whole life still ahead of him, great starting point for a career in aviation, what a head start to be given, I'm green with envy
Choppa Nutta is offline Find More Posts by Choppa Nutta
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
plane crasher extrordinaire
United States, IL, Waukegan
Joined Sep 2012
510 Posts
sweet
microairman1 is offline Find More Posts by microairman1
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,410 Posts
I started a logbook when I was 9 years old, my parents had airplanes and an interest in a flight school so I received a lot of dual as a grade schooler in many different types, too. When I soloed at 16 (Aeronca 11AC and Beech D-17S) I had 150 hours or so. Not as rare as one might think.

The OP's assertion that the FAA is not interested in changing 75 year old regs on solo isn't surprising, but the reason being that so many children have been killed soloing is...I've never heard of such statistics in my 37 year career as a professional pilot.

If this kid wants him to solo earlier than 16 he can solo a glider at 14.

Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Military practice interceptions on civilian airplanes is illegal. Military regs and FAR's prohibit it.

What's the real story, Sladex? Is it your kid, and you're a Blue Angel?

Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
289 Posts
I'm 14 but would love to get into full-size flying. I'd most likely fly for fun and recreational purposes and I'm in Australia so I'd probably get an RAA license. I'm planning to get a job at about 15 so I can help fund some of my lessons. My dream is to be able to fly the Weight-shift microlight trikes as I'd like to own my own aircraft sometime in the future. I live in Tasmania and I think it would be such a beautiful plane to explore from the air, especially with the freedom of the Trikes.

12 years old would be great except having to wait for so long to solo, would be annoying :-)

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:18 AM
United States, IL, Springfield
Joined Apr 2013
92 Posts
Fisher Avenger Experimental Home Built Airplane 1/2 vw engine (1 min 47 sec)

Sport Pilot is the way to go...Check this out.....
Avenger Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Avenger Pilot
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:52 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger Pilot View Post
Sport Pilot is the way to go...Check this out.....
I was settling-in and beginning to enjoy the video until I got :35-seconds in. Vice-grips on the oil cooler control? Really? The first thing that jumped into my mind was John Denver and that Long-eze. Vice-grips were used on the fuel selector. Yes, oil cooling *may* not be as critical as fuel supply, but it still made me cringe.

Still, I enjoyed the video. Looked-up the Fisher line. Nice planes. The 80% Tiger Moth looks like fun.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Apr 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
I was settling-in and beginning to enjoy the video until I got :35-seconds in. Vice-grips on the oil cooler control? Really? The first thing that jumped into my mind was John Denver and that Long-eze. Vice-grips were used on the fuel selector. Yes, oil cooling *may* not be as critical as fuel supply, but it still made me cringe.

Still, I enjoyed the video. Looked-up the Fisher line. Nice planes. The 80% Tiger Moth looks like fun.

EJWash
I was flying along and pulled on the knob. It came off in my hands. So into my flight bag I went. I keep those pliers in ther just or this type of reason. I stuck them on and kept on flying.

Once on the ground I repaird the knob. Now please explain to me how you would of handled this. I always carry these with me. You never know what you might need them for.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Apr 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger Pilot View Post
I was flying along and pulled on the knob. It came off in my hands. So into my flight bag I went. I keep those pliers in ther just or this type of reason. I stuck them on and kept on flying.

Once on the ground I repaird the knob. Now please explain to me how you would of handled this. I always carry these with me. You never know what you might need them for.
When I went to grab the pliers I grabed my camera, I forgot I had it. It was then I started filming after the pliers went on. If this knob would not have come off I would not have made the video, for I forgot I put this camera in my bag a few weeks before this.