Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
Discussion
Aska : CNC moldie project from Japan

Hi guys,

I should say sorry for my poor English most first. I think that I often use strange English although I am interested and studying in English, because I am too accustomed to Japanese.

However I'm not a professional of model-sailplanes, Finally I threw out over $6500 at private property with having much cold drops come out on my skin, have made the CNC metal mold by the high-precision processing technology of Japan.

I have designed several DLG sailplanes using XFLR5 until now, This ship - named "Aska" is my latest and a compilation of my wing design.

I started the new design project called "prj.-gecko" at the summer in 2011. First, I designed new airfoils and a wing and made few prototypes to evaluate the performances/characteristics of the main wing. I made a main wing and put on the remaining body.

Haya

(to be continued)
hayataro is offline Find More Posts by hayataro
Last edited by hayataro; Aug 15, 2012 at 03:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:23 PM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
My basic design concept has not been changing so much for a long time. So, Higher (launch) , Further (searching) , Wider (area of field).

"Launch higher then run further, search good thermals in the wider air!"

The prototype of bagged wing have some advantages and problems. Very easy to built compare with the moldie, but have slightly lower accuracy at the airfoils.
So, the float characteristic tends to become excessive and penetration become underestimating. Moreover, the altitude of the lunch tends to lower, too.

----

Next, I started designing molds with improving the flight characteristics and getting the up-to-dated theories.

Haya

(tobe cont.)
Last edited by hayataro; Aug 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:27 PM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
In the US and EU, there are many high performance moldie like as SALpeter, Steigeisen, Stobel (S), FW5, Fr3aK, Twister, Blaster,, etc,etc. However, until now on, there is none of CNC moldie in my country.

The reason is simple. The market size is not enough. In Japan, the powered planes such like as F3A/3D/Helico are more popular than sailplanes. Only few hundred peoples enjoyed DLGliding.

And, only ships of the vacuum bagged/positive-negative process molded were produced in the Japan market. I had design several bagged airframes yet, so I learned that the accuracy of the airfoil is very important and the flight performance should be strongly affected.

(maybe, Mr.G_T san will agree... )

I got another issue. I gave up persuasion to the producer of the wings, and decided making the metal mold by myself. He is a victim of nuclear accidents at the terrible earthquake in 3/11 last year, and mentally weaken, feared the metal mold process even I said I hedge all of money risk. Finally he refused building the ships in the new way. To my regret, he has clung to a conventional method.

Okay I should forget the past days.

I met Mr.Asou who lives in the Toyama Japan and been to friend togeother. He is a professional of industrial resin mold design. (I love his products) And began mold design and airfoil improvement work.

Haya

(tobe cont.)
Last edited by hayataro; Aug 15, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,664 Posts
Haya,

I'm no DLG design guru but I still want to say that it looks great so far. Keep up the good work an please keep us posted on your continued progress.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:01 PM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
Thank you Mr.Mike-san.

For the industrial products includes DLGs, not only beauty but also performance are so important. However, I know it is very important "Good-looking". No one should be get excited by the poor-looking ship. But the sensibility are not same for each persons. I do not know this ship is beautiful from other persons, and, so, I decided to taking the curve of traditional Japan popular with overseas peoples.

Finally, I and Mr.Asou finished the desk work and proceeded to make the real metal molds. I used A5052 precision Aluminum plates and applied roughness of 2.5um around the center of the wing surface and 0.75um high precision milling around the LE and TE and wingtip.

This story still continues. I will be received the metal mold at the end of August. I plan to polish, to raise this with friends, and to process hard anodized.

Thanks
Haya

(Please refer my blog for more : http://moogagaga.tou3.com/)
Last edited by hayataro; Aug 15, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:42 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,772 Posts
Congratulations on progressing with your project. I am highly envious of the quality of machine work that is available to you. I know that you're put much thought into the small details of the project which will bring you great success.

I'm looking forward to following your thread for a very long time

Tom
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:51 PM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
Thank you Tom san, Your Fr3aKs and ZoneV2 are REALLY GREAT stuff. If I have the next chance, I want make the molds by the man made marble CORIAN du-pont.

I am wondering I should make my own mill,,, It will cost about $3500 ,,, Hmmmm,,,,,
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:52 PM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
I don’t think this project as a business. This is my hobby...... However, If someone wanna to get and fly Aska, I will ship these anywhere on the Earth.
Last edited by hayataro; Aug 15, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:00 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,201 Posts
Very nice work, Haya san.
Keep us posted.

Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
I bought 5-pieces of 1-sq-meter Rohacell51 from the Thailand Mr.Nick Clarasonic. Thickness is 1mm. I did not choice 31, because it is only slightly heavier and not so affect to the AUW, IMO.

Also I afforded 4.2kg of low viscosity Epoxy resin. Tom-san, What kind of Epoxy do you use? In Japan, Araldite5052 is popular but I cant endure that smell.... Any advice?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:34 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
Nice looking model. Many successes to your venture
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:37 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayataro View Post
I don’t think this project as a business. This is my hobby...... However, If someone wanna to get and fly Aska, I will ship these anywhere in the Earth.
I'll fly one - how much?

I would recommende West Systems Epoxy too
gtrbaby is offline Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:43 AM
DLG addict
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jan 2005
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby View Post
I'll fly one - how much?

I would recommende West Systems Epoxy too
Thankyou!

R&G have good epoxys I know. However, I wanna to be this ship affordable (sorry price is not decided yet). The shipping cost from DE-to-JP is so expensive although the Euro is weak against to Yen. Maybe, Epoxy resin is danger flammable material for air-cargo.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:45 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayataro View Post
Thankyou!

R&G have good epoxys I know. However, I wanna to be this ship affordable (sorry price is not decided yet). The shipping cost from DE-to-JP is so expensive although the Euro is weak against to Yen.
I can get it here in NZ pretty cheap and send it to you in Japan no problem at all.

would be intersted to see the finished model and learn how it flies.....sure looks the business!!!
gtrbaby is offline Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:57 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,256 Posts
MGS has better properties than West Systems for our applications.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups