SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by giuseppi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:30 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,386 Posts
Discussion
Almost Done

Well, its been another week or so since my last entry, sooo...

I've added some more silkspan. I used some Rit Dyed red that was left from a couple years ago. I'd covered the bottom of the wing with plain white silkspan. And with the tail white, from using foam to replace the damage when it got dropped, and thinking it best to leave it unpainted to save weight.

...Looks like it'll be red and white.

Bought a Peck Polymer Large Prop Kit :

2- plastic props(9 1/2 dia.)
2- plastic props(7 dia.)
4- large nylon thrust bearings
4- prop shafts(2 1/2 x 3/64 dia.)
8- brass thrust washers

Should have gotten the Small Kit :

2- plastic props(4 3/4 diameter)
2- plastic props(6 diamter)
4- nylon thrust bearings
2- prop shafts(2 1/2 x 1/32 dia.)
2- prop shafts(2 1/2 x 3/64 dia.)
8- brass thrust washers

Luckily I had a 6" prop on hand. I thought a 7" prop would fit but drags the ground. Of course I could have trimmed one to fit but wanted to keep them stock unless it becomes absolutely necessary to do so. I still might trim one and make up another nose block. See if the deeper pitch works better.

The humidity here is soooo bad. I've been building out in the garage and wetting the silk over and over trying to shrink out the wrinkles. I stuck it in the car with the windows up and it tightened like a drum. After it sat overnight it was wrinkled again. So, I brought it inside where there's A/C and no more wrinkes.

I wonder if spraying a bit of WBPU will stabilize it? Or maybe some of the nitrate dope. I don't think the foam would like the dope, though.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Last edited by giuseppi; Aug 14, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts