Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:36 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Hi Joe, In your opinion, why do you think the screamer has good vertical?
Is the AUW of this plane much lighter, or is the duct much cleaner?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:42 AM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,227 Posts
Maybe just well named Mike
Mines ordered, can't wait.
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:35 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Hi Joe, In your opinion, why do you think the screamer has good vertical?
Is the AUW of this plane much lighter, or is the duct much cleaner?
That reminds me, I forgot to put this on a scale to weigh it. It feels light, the duct is very effecient due to the short intake and exhaust plus the fuse is almost non existant, it's a cross between a flying wing and a delta. The airframe is quite effecient, evident by how long this glides under zero throttle. Dead stick manouvers are awesome, so many times during those videos the plane was cruising past with no throttle, turning back from downwind passes still using no throttle, floating like a thermaling bird....I may have to try hitting some thermals as see what happens.

I believe the combination of the slick airframe, short length, effecient and short ducting makes it a vertical champ. The shame is that fir the first time, my wife has trouble keeping up with it when I go vertical. Wait till you guys give this a rip on 4s, pull vertical and roll. I've had to dump serious power in other planes to get this kind of performance that on this one was done cheap.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:20 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Wow, I watched the video of the screamer on 4S again on my home computer and I'm really impressed. It climbs like a Stryker. I was even expecting a boomerang flat spin at the end of the climb, until I remembered that this has no rudders

I waited too long and it is backordered now. I guess I can wait.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Wow, I watched the video of the screamer on 4S again on my home computer and I'm really impressed. It climbs like a Stryker. I was even expecting a boomerang flat spin at the end of the climb, until I remembered that this has no rudders

I waited too long and it is backordered now. I guess I can wait.
Won't be long, hobbyb posted that the ETA is the end of August and that's almost here.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:43 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,491 Posts
Has this been radared yet?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:41 AM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,227 Posts
HobbyB must use a better system than HK. I bought on 21st, processed and posted on 22nd and HKPost says in Aust being processed on 24th. Expecting delivery early this week......
Looks like their delivery won't take long when they're back in stock.

And Fathers Day here on Sept 2nd, nice timing Dad!
Last edited by DRAMJET; Aug 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: More rambling.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:32 AM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,227 Posts
Guys, got mine today, 7 days after ordering, nice handling time from HobbyB.

Got the PNP so the setup was easy, except for soldering the XT60 onto the esc wires. They are just a bit too short and only protrude from the back of the battery opening/canopy by about an inch so needed helping hands and three other hands. Slight heat burn on top of the hatch frame but no biggie. 5 mins later it was finished with another 10 to tweak the elevon position with a bit of torque consideration.

Joe, Just a question on CoG. Manual says 45mm from front of inlet. Sat a 1000MaH 3S and it had to sit as far rear as possible but still slightly nose heavy. (though better fwd than aft on a maiden) Can you post a pic of the 3S position and batt weight you used? I have some 3s Nanotech 850s which may balance it better.

Might be a maiden tomorrow, wx and commitments allowing.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts
Screamer and Katana are back in stock.

www.hobbyb.com
www.hobbyb.com is offline Find More Posts by www.hobbyb.com
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,491 Posts
How quick do you guys think this is?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
How quick do you guys think this is?
How quick what is?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,491 Posts
The screamer speed wise?

100 mph or more?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMJET View Post
Joe, Just a question on CoG. Manual says 45mm from front of inlet. Sat a 1000MaH 3S and it had to sit as far rear as possible but still slightly nose heavy. (though better fwd than aft on a maiden) Can you post a pic of the 3S position and batt weight you used? I have some 3s Nanotech 850s which may balance it better.

Might be a maiden tomorrow, wx and commitments allowing.
My first flights used a 3s 1000 mAh 30C lipo pushed to the rear of the tray and that means it lays up at an angle. It allows just enough room for the canopy tab to insert into the fuse. Later flights with a 4s 800 mAn 40C pack allowed the lipo to lay on the flat portion of the tray to the rear, just not up the "ramp" at the rear, the lipo still layed flat. I think my CG might have been a mm or two forward, but not enough to really make any difference.

I would guess that an 3s 850 might work just fine for CG purposes. My amp draw pegged at 18 amps so if the lipo is a 25C, it would be what I would consider on the ragged edge as far as output. If you pin the throttle wide open for long periods, I think it will come down pretty warm. If the discharge rating is higher, you may be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
The screamer speed wise?

100 mph or more?
Tough to tell at the moment. I think with a stock fan, we're looking at around a realistic 80-85. With a different fan and motor, I could see that 100+ wouldn't be too hard. With a killer setup, maybe 110-115. Hog out some foam and go with a real screaming setup, I could see 120 possible. The plane is so new, there haven't been any dopplar or radar passes yet to verify. I know one thing though..... with 4s on a stock motor and fan it's plenty fast to put a smile on your face. Don or donsrc.com is putting together a screamer with a 6000 kV wemo fan setup, it should be pretty quick too.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Aug 28, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:01 PM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,227 Posts
Thanks Joe, got to the field before your info but was maybe just forward of 45 mm with 3S 1000Mah Nanotechs in the rear of the batt area. Similar specs to what you mentioned. Funny the 25-50C nanos come in at 83g while the turnigy 30-40C are around 98g so the Nanotechs were my go to choice.

Enough of the technical stuff......WOW! It sure lives up to its name on 3S, stock EDF motor and esc. Had to dumb it down from 30% expo to 50% for elev and ail and throws to 80% for all travel. Still rolls like Royce, goes like the clappers and floats and floats and floats. No big throw needed to launch like the T33, it just goes.

Big Smile, BIG SMILE!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMJET View Post
Thanks Joe, got to the field before your info but was maybe just forward of 45 mm with 3S 1000Mah Nanotechs in the rear of the batt area. Similar specs to what you mentioned. Funny the 25-50C nanos come in at 83g while the turnigy 30-40C are around 98g so the Nanotechs were my go to choice.

Enough of the technical stuff......WOW! It sure lives up to its name on 3S, stock EDF motor and esc. Had to dumb it down from 30% expo to 50% for elev and ail and throws to 80% for all travel. Still rolls like Royce, goes like the clappers and floats and floats and floats. No big throw needed to launch like the T33, it just goes.

Big Smile, BIG SMILE!
Haha.... she rocks indeed! I probably should have posted my control throw settings and expo, I did have to dial it down as it was so responsive. Glad your maiden flights went well. One day when you get used to it, you should try it on 4s. It rips!