Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Bumble Bee w/ HW Skywalker ESC

Here are a some pics of my BB using the HW Skywalker Quattro. Haven't flown it yet, but using this quad esc cut down on my build time significantly and a very clean and neat build. All esc wires were routed thru the arm tubes and almost the perfect length on this 550 quad.
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Jul 2012
88 Posts
using this kind of esc, do i still need to calibrate it?

thanks
jaydrone is offline Find More Posts by jaydrone
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:02 AM
Perth Australia
Joined Feb 2010
488 Posts
yes , you do the normal esc thro' calibrating and parameter setting 4 times . my unit fits easily between the spacers holding the KK 2 but the spacers must be removed to remove the esc .
swervo is offline Find More Posts by swervo
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:30 AM
Joined May 2012
585 Posts
here ya go kiddos mine works great :P
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
HW Skywalker Quattro Mod

I learned that when using the Hobbywing Skywalker Quattro ESC, you have to move a couple of the ESC wires from connection S3 to S1 as the KK 2.0 LCD board receives it's power from the ESC connection S3 connector on the Quattro. Simple fix. Move your red center wire and black side wire from the S3 connector to the S1 connector. Make sure you put them in the right order when you move the red and black wires from S3 to S1 on the ESC connection terminals. Keep the black wire to the outside edge of the board when connected. Failure to do this may fry your board.
Last edited by Bryan's Flyin; Jan 29, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:46 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,294 Posts
Couldnt you just use S3 as M1, and just keep in mind that M3 is really M1??
subaru4wd is offline Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
Couldnt you just use S3 as M1, and just keep in mind that M3 is really M1??
Erm... Yes... Good point. Never thought of that! Mind you, it only takes a minute to pull the wires out of the S3 connector and insert them into the S1 connector. And then you don't have to worry about changing the labels on the quattro or remembering what is where.

USNR,

It's a pleasure to help you out, Sir.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
HK Q450 using Quattro ESC build

Here is my second project using the HW Skywalker Quattro 4 in 1 ESC. It fits very nicely on the lower plate with plenty of mounting room. Another very clean and easy build. It went together, to this point, in about 1 hour. I have to change the connectors on the motors as the are smaller than the esc's bullet connectors.

The FC I am using is a HK 2.0 w/LCD and Ver. 1.2 protected by a delrin case.
Last edited by Bryan's Flyin; Sep 24, 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added info
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:28 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,011 Posts
Trying to figure out how I would use this for a 4 motor plane I'm working on (Not a Quad). Where would the S1-, S2, S3, and S4 plugs go to on the receiver?
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,428 Posts
It depends what flight controller you are using and whether the plane is controlled via motor speed or servos. If it's the latter, then you would probably connect all 4 in parallel to the throttle channel. I think.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
I bought one of these for my first quad as it looked easy to wire up.. but one of the things that stumping me is programming the ESC, do the Skywalker programming cards work with the Quattro ?

Or better still do you think I need to change any of the default settings, or can I leave them as is ?...
Sentinal is offline Find More Posts by Sentinal
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:30 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinal View Post
I bought one of these for my first quad as it looked easy to wire up.. but one of the things that stumping me is programming the ESC, do the Skywalker programming cards work with the Quattro ?

Or better still do you think I need to change any of the default settings, or can I leave them as is ?...
I didn't use the prog. card to program mine. I used my radio to calibrate it thru the KK 2.0 board. Very simple to calibrate. Takes 10 seconds. You don't have to calibrate each esc, Hook up it very easy. Just make sure to read the top of the Quattro and see that M1 (ABC), M2 (ABC), M3 (ABC), M4 (ABC) wires all are run to the correct motor in your motor layout. M1 wires to Motor 1, M2 to motor 2 and so on. Hope this helps you.

I only calibrated it, did not change any settings and it works great.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinal View Post

I'd say Bryan I right. This is made for a quad so the stock settings should be just fine.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
United Kingdom, Poole
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
Hi all

I have one of these Hobbywing Skywalker Quattro ESCs too, it came as part of an ARTF quadcopter (HJI 450 from Goodluckbuy) which uses a Crius AIO Pro flight controller and I would appreciate some advice. Starting from zero knowledge of quadcopters and the setup requirements I am slowly learning thanks to so many of you contributing to the forums. I have a Fly Sky 9X with their receiver and a kind guy on here guided me on connecting the receiver to the Crius AIO Pro.

Following successful binding I initially had no throttle at all, but the Multiwii forums came good - talking about changing transmitter end points to 120% and throttle trim to -25%, then I was able to arm the motors and get them spinning. They were starting at slightly different throttle points, so I moved on to throttle range calibration. At this point all four motors were spinning.

I disconnected the signal wires for the 4 motors from the ESC (that went from ESC to flight controller), then connected one at a time to Channel 3 on my receiver, went through the full throttle up, power up ESC, beep beep, then move down for each motor. All seemed individually to start up smoothly from the same point then without the FC connected. Reconnected everything the same way it had come but now no motors spin and I hear a very short repeating beep. The Skywalker Quattro manual says that 0.25 sec repeated beeps means that the throttle stick is not in its lowest position, but it is :s I have tried altering throttle trim, end points all to no avail. All I keep getting is the repeated beep code.

When I was trying to calibrate the ESCs I wonder if I may have messed up the programming of the ESC, it seemed to chirp up with the melody a couple of times, not following the calibration beep pattern exactly at all while I was fiddling with the throttle stick :s Could my issue be related to altering the programming? I do not have a programming card to see if it is still at default settings but will double check the settings using the manual's programming with the transmitter guide.

Or have I not calibrated correctly, even though individually when bypassing the flight controller all the motors will spin up smoothly.

Many thanks!
WebHotChilli is offline Find More Posts by WebHotChilli
Last edited by WebHotChilli; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:57 AM
United Kingdom, Poole
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
I have setup MultiWii Config now on my Mac and running nicely. It let me check the throttle values coming from the FlySky 9x transmitter with FlySky FS R8B receiver.

With end points adjusted to 120% I can arm and disarm the motors without a problem and apparently calibrate the individual ESCs, but the throttle readings are ranging from a low of 984 up to a high of 1980. On Youtube I have seen a video which says you need to be much nearer 900 on the low side to get proper function. I am thinking that the short rapid repeated ESC beeps are showing the throttle is not low enough (as seems to be indicated from the ESC manual)

My 9X doesn't allow me to increase end points by more than 120%, are there any other options to alter it and see if that works? I have seen others use this ESC with the 9X transmitter/receiver combination.
WebHotChilli is offline Find More Posts by WebHotChilli