SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:11 AM
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Discussion
New to building from plans

Hey guys my names Rick and I have many questions about building from plans and wondered if there is a thread the takes a new guy step by step thru the build process so I can learn the basics of everything sorry to bother, but I'd really appreciate any help.....Rick
hiflying is offline Find More Posts by hiflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:23 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,639 Posts
This is a pretty good site for modelling methods -

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/

Also this thread may help - Recently started by Murcoflyer -

Let's Build A Balsa Plane Together > Model Airplane Building Clinic

First thing is always getting everything together, building board, tools, adhesives, bandages, (well those scalpel knifes are vicious thing when they go wild ).
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:47 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
If you have built from kits, you should have no problems. Just use the knowledge that you have gained, and apply it to the plans build.

To me, the biggest difference between kit building, and plans building, is that plans usually do not contain an instruction booklet. That's where your previous building experience kicks in.

If you run into problems, the guys, here on the Groups, are here to help.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
A big + for the airfieldmodels.com reference!

Rick - is "building from plans" scratch building where you start literally with the plans and the rest's on you? Or are you building a kit where you start with plans, manual and all of the parts?

If scratch building - I'm at a total loss (as usual).

If kit building I know of many well done build threads in the other part of the "universe" of RC forums. Em, subtle?
SeamusG is offline Find More Posts by SeamusG
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
If all you have is a plan, no bits and pieces or instructions, then first study the plan. Figure out a building sequence. I usually do stab and elevator first, because that gets something finished quick and encourages me on. When building one of my own designs, I make up a flow sheet of sequence of building operations, and materials I will need for each step. I gather up all the materials I will need, and clear the building board. I have, a couple of times, neglected the flow sheet, and had to take a structure apart so I could insert something I should have put in first. I'm a lazy person, so I like to plan, and do things efficiently.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
The definition of "Scratch building" can start many arguments. Some folks say that building from other people's plans is scratch-building, whilst others say that scratch-building requires you draw the plans, too. I think the majority of folks will go by the former, so I suggest you consider it that way, too (i.e., building from other folks' plans).

(Before those who know me say "Huh?", yes, I do prefer the latter definition, but I know I'm in the minority).

I will say that I prefer to cut out all of the parts I'll be needing before I start building, then put them into a convenient tray and build the model as though it were a kit. That saves having to stop building to cut our more parts.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
How's about going to a kit website and downloading a manual for a similar plane? Maybe a SIG kit as they publish very good build manuals.

Then, like Jim said, study the plans and steal the sequence from the manual.

Keep an eye out for assemblies that would need to be pre-constructed before being included into the bigger picture.
SeamusG is offline Find More Posts by SeamusG
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:01 AM
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Nov 2011
77 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, for sure I'll cut everything first before building then put together like a kit. I was at a fly in this weekend and bought a couple f-14 tomcat kits and 4 sets of plans an A-10, T-45 Goshawk, Ju-88, Fiesler Storch. Should keep me busy for a while. The T-45 is first up. Thanks for everything guys I'm sure I'll need help in the future. Rick
hiflying is offline Find More Posts by hiflying
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
A little late to the game, but here's a site I did a LONG time ago on scratch building....
http://home.comcast.net/~daverc102/spookmain.htm
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Nov 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
A little late to the game, but here's a site I did a LONG time ago on scratch building....
http://home.comcast.net/~daverc102/spookmain.htm
Great site Dave! Lots of good info.
RCTodd is online now Find More Posts by RCTodd
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTodd View Post
Great site Dave! Lots of good info.
THANKS.... up until a couple of months ago I forgot all about that site. It was made in the late 90s. I stumbled across it on RCG when someone listed it in a post.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2