HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,181 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone considering this kit-- Tower has free shipping on $99+ orders right now. Plus a code for $10 off $100 (or more off if you're a Tower Club member).
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Last edited by Sammy70; Oct 18, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
I wonder just how big the market IS for old-timers like this. So many models that used a Cox .049 for power would be excellent upgrade material. We already have the Jr. Falcon. Hopefully. Goldberg will do an electric Skylane and Top Flite should do a Top Dawg. Not to mention the House of Balsa warbirds.

But how much attraction would any of these have for younger fliers. Maybe those who fly at club fields where the old-timers would swoon over them, but otherwise?
Bob HSG is online now Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:20 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,947 Posts
I think there is huge market for great flying parkflyer planes that resemble their larger pattern or sport brothers. Who wouldn't want a parkflyer Kaos or Ultra Sport or SlowPoke or Cherokee or Revolver or Tiger 60 or Escapade ...

I think Hobbico has just scratched the surface on a new trend.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:29 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,181 Posts
My little Contender arrived yesterday.

Very happy with it overall, but I could have covered it better than they did

I was able to iron out most of the wrinkles/looseness, but not all. Oh well, I'm sure I'll forgot all about the covering when it's in the air
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2004
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
I wonder just how big the market IS for old-timers like this. So many models that used a Cox .049 for power would be excellent upgrade material. We already have the Jr. Falcon. Hopefully. Goldberg will do an electric Skylane and Top Flite should do a Top Dawg. Not to mention the House of Balsa warbirds.

But how much attraction would any of these have for younger fliers. Maybe those who fly at club fields where the old-timers would swoon over them, but otherwise?
I hate to show my age, but how about a Mini-Taurus or Kwik Fli III?
And still in the Dave Platt design mode, I want a Mini-Duelist!

Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielips1954 View Post

Russ Farris
The list goes on and on. If Goldberg put out a new Jr. Skylark, you could kit-bash it into a Duelist.

Some more suggestions: Midwest Li'l Esquire and Li'l Tri-Squire. (Anyone remember their .15-powered Nieuport and Fokker D-7, along with the Attacker?)
Top Flite Schoolmaster, Schoolboy and Schoolgirl. Anything by Sterling!

My first two R/C airplanes were Jr. Falcons. One had a regen receiver (!) and an escapement, the second had a superhet and an Adams Actuator; I built an Ace R/C pulse transmitter for that one. Both powered by Babe Bees.

The next was a Li'l Esquire, followed by a Midwest Cardinal foamie, which would have been a great airplane if I had put a .15 instead of a .10, but I still got dozens of flights out of it.
Bob HSG is online now Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:31 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
Quote:

Russ Farris
Here you go - but in kit form.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705994

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Aug 2004
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Wow, that's great because I like to build. I recently converted one of Paul Bradley's cloned Goldberg Cessna 180 sheet balsa to electric R/C using the UM Mustang's brick and motor. Flies great!

Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:11 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Top flight should be embarrased to deliever an ARF with such poor covering. The red monocote was so wrinkled that I burnt several holes trying to get the wrinkles out.
Shame, shame, shame on them.
After I had the airplane assembled and test flew it, it did fly quite well with no surprises.
I just wish they would spend a little time to train the folks that cover these airplanes.
Ive bought a lot of ARFs, not one of them had covering this bad.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
Last edited by btdt; Oct 01, 2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: not finished
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2003
338 Posts
Yeah, mine was terribly wrinkled also. I ended up stripping the covering off from the rear of the canopy and forward to the nose and re-covering... Looks great now. Called Tower and told them ive never seen a plane covered so poorly, and was told " yeah, they wrinkle from setting in the warehouse etc".....told her it was from manufacture, not setting around....these were some extreme wrinkles...hell, i have planes i built 5 years ago that still have no wrinkles! They were good to me though, gave me a $10 gift certificate for my trouble. The plane flies great though....smooth as ice......
lotech is offline Find More Posts by lotech
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:10 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,181 Posts
I maidened mine the other day and put a few flights on it.

I must say I'm not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. It was a bit breezy, but I just didn't think it flew all that great....
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:35 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
I maidened mine the other day and put a few flights on it.

I must say I'm not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. It was a bit breezy, but I just didn't think it flew all that great....
Move the balance back past the recommended CG about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch, you will see the difference. If you are not an experenced flyer be careful moving the CG back this can make the airplane real touchy.
As to the covering, they should include a foot or two of monocote so you coud recover the terrable job they have done.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:43 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:

Russ Farris
I would buy a mini Taurus in a heart beat; I flew the Taurus several years when I did the contest circut. * Bramco 8 channel reeds and bonner servos; O those were the days.
I have a trofy sitting on my desk that I got when I started flying contests in 1963, I"m not saying how old I am. (but I"m older than dirt)
Last edited by btdt; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: just wanted to add something
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Sooo Late 1970s

Hi there:

I've written a number of reviews for the now defunct R/C Modeler Magazine. I recently purchased the Top Flite (TF) Mini Contender (MC) and all I can say is that the company named Top Flite has not changed much in over 40 years. My first Top Flite kit was the "Jug". It never got it fully built due to my lack of experience. Well here comes the Mini Contender 40 years later! I am an electric man, and thought this looked like a great "kit" to purchase. I hope she will be.

Ok -- I have not flown her yet, and I will consider moving the CG a ways back as recommeneded in an earlier post before I fly. However I will state this: Coming from StevensAeromodels to the MC is like coming from an LED to an incandescent bulb. A nice looking airplane, but . . .
1. The white covering can be touched up very well.
2. The red covering cannot be touched up too well.
3. DUBRO. Do YOU know DUBRO? Ugh! The number of screws and wheel collars used on the TF MC is ridiculous. Has ANYONE seen servo pushrods mounted in this fashion? Not since Einstein! Oh! Poor TF. Please work in conjunction in with Top Quality DUBRO hardware. This includes the somewhat poor spinner.
4. Futaba too! The recommended Futaba S3114 servos have no mounting screws, nor does TF include any. I also doubt the S3114s useful life for an airplane of this size.
5. Why so many screws with holes sizes so small I also ended up cracking the wood putting her together? VERY FRUSTRATING! USE A DRILL to bore out your holes.
6. 60-sized hardware on a 10-sized airplane! The aileron hardware is so 40/60 sized!!! And plan on threading the nylon clevis "20 turns" onto the 2-56 x 4-7/16" metal pushrod. Oh! You'll need two pliers and lots of time doing so. Way overkill here!
7. Mounting of the RX on top of the ESC??? No, no, no! I changed that and placed the RX way back next to the servos.
8. Hinges! THROW THEM AWAY and purchase and make your own Great Plane hinges. The TF hinge fabric pulls and backs away and is of very POOR quality.
9. Use 30 minute epoxy. See Step 8. I almost lost the entire MC while attaching the poor TF hinges to the elevator while using epoxy to glue in the elevator joiner wire. I am so glad all I had was 30 minute epoxy, or the entire MC would have been destroyed.

Will keep you posted as to her flying abilities. Thanks, PB
philblake is offline Find More Posts by philblake
Last edited by philblake; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:52 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,181 Posts
I couldn't agree more with all your findings PB.

I couldn't believe the control rod setup (which I changed), all the wheel collars (which I didn't use), Rx placement (which I changed), the size of the control rods (changed as well), etc, etc.

Their method for the elevator assembly/installation was a joke I thought. I simply sliced out the little chunk of balsa at the rear of the elevator slot. Assemble the elevator on the bench, and then glue into the slot. Add the chunk back in at the rear and all was well.

This was my first TopFlite plane and truely expected better from them...