Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
Maybe. Its just really convenient for me to walk 30 secs to the field and fly. I am pretty sure I saw a cop car drive past me at one point and it didn't even slow down so I don't think that there are any other problems than ignorant kids.
Call the cops and tell them what happened at least, nothing will be done but it will be recorded at least. Prying is a good thing ! Some people are just ignorant ,probably had horrible parents ect ect blah blah.. i think they just need there arse kicked up to there ears !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:31 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,861 Posts
The bottom line is there are some miserable people out there and most of them resent anyone who seems to be enjoying themselves. Chances are the incident was simply a "crime" of opportunity and it probably won't happen again.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Pretty sad when people are that bored with themselves they have to throw things. That's something I'd expect from the neighbor's kids, they're 5 year old twins, and the problem here is, they got away with it, I'd imagine they'd do it again. I'd just move further in if I could. UFO...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,050 Posts
I'd just fly a bit further from the road. They'll hesitate to drive over unknown terrain to get to you if you're 100' in. You could probably fly for 20 years and not have that happen again though. Luckily that variety of idiot is rare.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Throwing an object at someone from a moving car is a felony (at least, around here it is). The object is considered a "missile." There was a local road-rage case like that which attracted national-news attention...because the "thrower" actually spent some time in jail for it (and narrowly escaped a 2-year jail sentence). Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17260399...g-cup-ice-car/
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Quote:
I fly on the soy field right next to my neighborhood and I was flying about 20 feet from the road on the soy field.
I have to play devil's advocate and ask, what happens to the soy when you crash your airplane and you have to go traipsing through the soy in the dark? What do you do when you damage the farmer's soy when you crash your airplane into it?

I don't fly above crops. I have twice the field beside and behind me than the RC club field. When there is corn, soy, wheat, or any crop in it, I don't fly above it. Last year for example, I could not fly behind my house as corn was planted. This year, nothing planted so I can fly beside or behind my property. I stand on my own property though, not 20 feet into someone else's property.

I was just wondering what folks do? I see people mention flying above the corn field, soy field, and such all the time here. Those crops are someone's livelyhood.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,767 Posts
Another devil's advocate here:
I'm unfamiliar with how the Bixler sounds, but it seems most of those style planes at my field are quite loud. Perhaps if your's is as well, combined with nighttime, combined with residential neighborhood equals some fed up folks. If you were trying to sleep because you awake at 5am every day you'd be upset too.

Just sayin'
maybe not the case here.

+3 for praying!!!
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
No normal human response would entail throwing something from a moving car.

You did nothing wrong beyond being in the wrong spot and the wrong time.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
Another devil's advocate here:
I'm unfamiliar with how the Bixler sounds, but it seems most of those style planes at my field are quite loud. Perhaps if your's is as well, combined with nighttime, combined with residential neighborhood equals some fed up folks. If you were trying to sleep because you awake at 5am every day you'd be upset too.

Just sayin'
maybe not the case here.

+3 for praying!!!
Its quite quiet. With a balanced prop it makes less noise than a supercub.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
No normal human response would entail throwing something from a moving car.

You did nothing wrong beyond being in the wrong spot and the wrong time.
Isn't it the 'right' of teenagers to throw thing at people ?

I mean they are allowed to fly anywhere, do whatever they want, ignore safety and regulations, etc, aren't they ? (according to another thread, they seem to think so - 'Balcony flying')

Perhaps it was teenage aliens in the space craft.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Just clear some things up, I was flying around 10pm so I highly doubt too many people were sleeping. And yes, my bixler is pretty quiet and I was trying to fly with 1/3 throttle most of time because that way I can fly longer I also tend to land the plane just next to me either on the side of the soy or the ditch next to the road and the crop so there isn't really any damage to the crop. The one time I crashed was because I had modded my flysky module and had no antenna connection but using FrSky now so crashing shouldn't be a problem.
It just sucks that I need to be on my toes while flying.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
I'm sorry to spout profanity but that's pretty damn ridiculous. If they think its a UFO thats their own fault, not yours.
Excuse me, but when they were looking for it, "It was a UFO - an Unidentified Flying Object". Once identified it was no longer a UFO.

I remember a color story on the news ~35 years ago about a rural Pennsylvania towm that had just built a new park on the edge of town and, among other things, had designated it a UFO landing site complete with a sign the announced "UFOs ONLY - all others prohibited". I think they miss it with the sign. It should have read "Extraterrestial Craft Only". The sign would make it illegal for anything to land:

- A landed ET vehicle is no longer "Flying" so it can't be a UFO.
- Once recognized as an ET vechicle, it is o longer "Unidentified" so it can't be a UFO.

I never found out if the local police were kept busy writing tickets for such viloations of the posted use of the field.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,448 Posts
its escaped zoo animals giving humans a taste of their own medicine
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:05 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
its escaped zoo animals giving humans a taste of their own medicine
HAHA! Best one I've heard yet!
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Okay so today was my fourth time doing some night flying with my bixler. I fly on the soy field right next to my neighborhood and I was flying about 20 feet from the road on the soy field.
I've seen bunch of cars slowing down trying to figure out what that flying this is but not this one.
I saw it turn from another neighborhood to the road and start driving towards me. Nothing wrong with this. It was going about 40mph when I was thrown something wet and yelled some not too nice things. I first thought it was a rotten egg because it stank so bad but after landing the plane and investigating my shirt and neck, I'm pretty sure its some biscuits and gravy. Never had any that smelled so bad though

Should I fly somewhere else or farther from the road? I'm pretty sure that the person who threw the stuff at me was just jealous and this won't happen again :P

Thoughts on this? I was highly upset that I had no way of getting the license plate nor even identify what car it was. Did I do something wrong flying next to the road? I never flew above it
hah neva mind
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Last edited by Felt_ripper 23; Nov 13, 2012 at 01:50 PM.