New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by pd1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:00 PM
pd1
Find More Posts by pd1
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,161 Posts
Discussion
The Bootstraps

Berkeley kitted an airplane designed by Henry Struck called the Bootstraps. Also designated A RC- 1 Berkeley's first RC kit.

My dad had one back in 1952 or 53. It promptly flew away and was grabbed by a passing motorist.

A couple years later the motorist tried to sell the plane at the local hobby shop.
I don't think they realized how rare RC airplanes were, and that the hobby shop owner knew my dad.
We got it back and my dad made some radio equipment that was almost reliable. We got to fly it for a few years.

It was single channel, rudder only and no throttle or elevator.
Push the button and the rudder went full swing to one side, Next time the switch was pushed, the rudder went full swing to the other side.
By 1962 I was getting pretty good at flying it, and more often than not I came home from flying with an undamaged plane.

I have a picture of my cousin and myself with my two single channel airplanes in 1962.

Now I decided to build another one, this time electric and with elevator control. How neat is that?

I started construction and I'll be posting pictures as I progress.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Last edited by pd1; Jul 15, 2014 at 05:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by r0beert0
<<x USMC
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jun 2010
688 Posts
Outstanding, thanks for sharing the story and the plans!! looks like she's coming along nicely.
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,339 Posts
Quote:
Now I decided to build another one, this time electric and with elevator control. How neat is that?
That's pretty darned neat alright!!

What a great history this model has with your family!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:34 AM
pd1
Find More Posts by pd1
pd1
Joined Jun 2006
2,161 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I have the wing started now. Pictures at 11.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by RobtP
New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington City
Joined Dec 2014
12 Posts
The Bootstraps

Seasons greetings to all!

Hi pd1. Did you finish your Bootstraps? It would be great if you could post a photo of the completed model.

I am returning to modelling after nearly 50 years absence and Bootstraps seems to be coming to the top of my list for first build. Your construction photos will be a big help, thank you.
RobtP is offline Find More Posts by RobtP
Last edited by RobtP; Dec 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 06:23 PM
pd1
Find More Posts by pd1
pd1
Joined Jun 2006
2,161 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words.
I haven't finished the Bootstraps yet. I got side tracked and did a few other projects.
I plan on finishing up the Bootstraps as soon as I finish the S Ray I'm almost done with.

Last August I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and building has been hit or miss.

Paul
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by RobtP
Joined Dec 2014
12 Posts
Sorry to hear about the health issue Paul.

Will look forward to future posts on your S Ray and Bootstraps. H Ray was a design that crossed my radar also, but I settled on Bootstraps as it appears to be a more "forgiving" design for my first venture into RC (as an old free-flighter, I like the polyhedral). I have an Enya 09-III for power and will start building soon.

Best wishes for 2015.

Bob
Old Dec 28, 2014, 07:11 PM
pd1
Find More Posts by pd1
pd1
Joined Jun 2006
2,161 Posts
Hi RobrtP,
The Bootstraps is a very forgiving design and will take a little punishment if built lightly.
I do prefer the H-Ray, S-Ray or Falcon 56 as rugged trainers. I think the Falcon is the best.
The H and S rays are great for smaller fields and the are incredibly strong.

If you build one of the above please post pictures here. Some days I can't build, but I still like pictures.

Paul
Old Dec 29, 2014, 04:13 AM
Find More Posts by RobtP
Joined Dec 2014
12 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts Paul.

The Falcon 56 does look a really nice design but might be too much aeroplane for my little Enya. Bootstraps looks like it will have good free flight stability and with that airfoil should be a bit of a floater, things I find attractive as I still have a hankering for free flight, but also like the idea of RC for rudder and throttle control. Time will tell how well this works for me.

I will certainly post pictures when built, but at my rate of construction that will be a few months away.

Bob